Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Just sayin to Everyone who has and is stopping drinking, My alcoholism (Not saying anybody else here is or was an alcoholic,that's just me) progressed over a 30+ year stretch until I didn't know how to keep drinking and I didn't know how to stop. Death was looking like a good option at that time. I am horrified now when I think back to that!!! Life can and will get so much better for you.Hang on and believe that you CAN crawl out of that dark place, creating a lifestyle that allows no room for alcohol is really important, I did it - Lot's of people here have done it - you can do it too.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Wendy2000

For all the non drinkers, i think it be great to organise a lunch or a meet or somehting to see how much fun we can all actually have wihtout haveing drink in us!

bet ya we would be louder than the drinking groupies!! xx

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭JonBon27

Hi all,

Trying to give it up. Absolutely sick of it, destroying everything meaningfull in my life. Feel so depressed and down all the time.

So Saturday the 3rd was the last time I had a drink, although I dont drink often when I do i dunno when to stop. Anyway going to AA tonight for the first time. Must say I have been reading some of the quotes on the various forums and it gives me great strenght that I am not alone in my troubles. Fingers crossed I can stay off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

JonBon... I wish you the best of luck

5 months off the drink yesterday.
    JonBon27 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Trying to give it up. Absolutely sick of it, destroying everything meaningfull in my life. Feel so depressed and down all the time.

So Saturday the 3rd was the last time I had a drink, although I dont drink often when I do i dunno when to stop. Anyway going to AA tonight for the first time. Must say I have been reading some of the quotes on the various forums and it gives me great strenght that I am not alone in my troubles. Fingers crossed I can stay off it.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks Kendall Rapid Bug and am I bovvered,

Just comes to a stage when enough is enough. my OH hates me when Im drunk, my mates are all piss heads so dunno what Im gonna do around the social aspect of things but to be honest im not that worried as im doing this for me and my OH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Thanks Kendall Rapid Bug and am I bovvered,

Just comes to a stage when enough is enough. my OH hates me when Im drunk, my mates are all piss heads so dunno what Im gonna do around the social aspect of things but to be honest im not that worried as im doing this for me and my OH.

let us know how it goes jonbon best of luck. I was there blackouts the works. not nice waking the next day not knowing what you were up too!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Good luck JonBon27,

Make sure you keep yourself really busy, especially in the first few weeks. Schedule stuff in so there are no yawning gaps and maybe stay clear of the pisshead mates, at least for now. This IS do-able and you deserve to live a life free of the depressant effects of the booze. And think of all the money you'll save!

I'm 9 months off it, last week and wouldn't go back to that life if you paid me.

cheers for the words of encouragement guys, i'll post again tomorrow and let you know how i get on. Really quite nervous about going, part of me keeps saying your not that bad that you need to go to AA but I really just wanna give it up once and for all so i'll try my best to take the plunge.

Thanks again

hubba wrote: »
    Good luck JonBon27,

Make sure you keep yourself really busy, especially in the first few weeks. Schedule stuff in so there are no yawning gaps and maybe stay clear of the pisshead mates, at least for now. This IS do-able and you deserve to live a life free of the depressant effects of the booze. And think of all the money you'll save!

I'm 9 months off it, last week and wouldn't go back to that life if you paid me.

+1 to this advice & I feel the same about going back to the way I was living before I gave up 5 months ago. The one main thing you will realise is you'll need to make huge changes. Giving up drinking is only the start learning how to live without it is the main thing which you pick up one day at a time.

• Advertisement

Just a gentle word of caution, JonBon27, not to pin all your hopes on one type of 'treatment' or therapy. AA mightn't suit you, but that's ok, there are many ways to skin a cat. The mods rightly ban discussions on various treatments so I'll say no more but just keep an open mind and inform yourself by reading (plenty of stuff in the library). Well done on making the decision.

Cheers again guys, appreciate the advise. I gues i'm more scared than anything else at the moment of taking this steo and the repocussions it will have i.e. i will basically not have any friends left. Just wanna know i'm not alone and that there are other people out there too that are the same. I know that might sound selfish and apologise if it comes across that way.

I've already started putting a plan together and have registered for the Dublin marathin in october and have pencilled in the gym for 4 times a week to get the health and fitness back in shape.

Hopefully i can staythe course really cant face blacking out and not having a clue where i am or what im doing. TBH people have told me im luck not to have hurt myself so its time to really give this packing in the booze for good a go.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Hi all,

You have made the first step. Keep it up.

Went to my first AA meeting last night and really enjoyed it and found it helpful. Was a bit nervous before and nearly made a dash for the bus instead of heading in but just got myself together and took the plunge.

Must say i feel a whole lot better and am really looking forward to the next one. Everyone really put me at ease and understood exactly where I was coming from and how I felt, hopefully I can keep it up and tbh I feel that I really have a good chance in kicking it this time.

Well done, that took guts for you and you found the strength. It's a good sign for the journey ahead.

5 days and have a work thing tonight with a free bar and determined not to drink!!

5 days and have a work thing tonight with a free bar and determined not to drink!!

Don't go to it if you can get out of it. Far too early to do something like that. I went to my work Christmas party because I felt I ''had'' to and it was very hard.

Hi Kendall Rapid Bug,

Thanks for the advice but unfortunately it was a due that I had to go to.

Anyway went along everyone boozeing away and I just stook to the cokes and water. Was tough at the start but as the night progressed got easier. A few people missing today and the boss not too please.

This is a big step for me and gives me the confidence that I can keep it going.

Hi Kendall Rapid Bug,

Thanks for the advice but unfortunately it was a due that I had to go to.

Anyway went along everyone boozeing away and I just stook to the cokes and water. Was tough at the start but as the night progressed got easier. A few people missing today and the boss not too please.

This is a big step for me and gives me the confidence that I can keep it going.

Well done, try to avoid doing things that make it harder for you. No advantage to yourself whatsoever. Keep doing what you're doing if it works anyway. As I said not drinking is just the start. Best of luck.

When I first quit I wanted to be able to see achievement and progress as the days/weeks went on so I made a simple list with 'challenges' on the left, and an empty column on the right and every time I got through a 'first' I'd fill in DONE. Seems a bit simplistic but 9 months later I still look at it for a boost. Example:

Lunch with colleagues DONE
    Night out with colleagues DONE
    A hen night DONE
    A wedding DONE
    holiday abroad DONE
    Company Christmas Party DONE
    Night out with X (old drinking buddy) DONE
    Night out with Y (alco family member) DONE
    Dinner with someone new DONE

Each of the above was nerve racking, some more than others, but I had various survival strategies for each one like arriving late and/or, leaving early, escaping to hotel room during long wedding for a breather etc. And now that I've done them all once (some more than) I know I can do them again, but with more confidence.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd share!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

hubba wrote: »
    When I first quit I wanted to be able to see achievement and progress as the days/weeks went on so I made a simple list with 'challenges' on the left, and an empty column on the right and every time I got through a 'first' I'd fill in DONE. Seems a bit simplistic but 9 months later I still look at it for a boost. Example:

Lunch with colleagues DONE
    Night out with colleagues DONE
    A hen night DONE
    A wedding DONE
    holiday abroad DONE
    Company Christmas Party DONE
    Night out with X (old drinking buddy) DONE
    Night out with Y (alco family member) DONE
    Dinner with someone new DONE

Each of the above was nerve racking, some more than others, but I had various survival strategies for each one like arriving late and/or, leaving early, escaping to hotel room during long wedding for a breather etc. And now that I've done them all once (some more than) I know I can do them again, but with more confidence.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd share!

Well done hubba :) Thanks for sharing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭seanrose

Have finally done the 30 days and more than likely do the rest of lent and then take stock of the situation

How good i fell right now abstaining is absolutely unbelievable,my fitness has never been as good,have started a new course which is going well and even though work is a struggle at the minute without the hangovers every problem is manageable as doesnt seem as big a problem.

I feel more confident and more outgoing without alcohol because I dont have the paranoia surrounding me about what I did or said.

The biggest issue I always had was going for a session after a football match with my friends but have gladly sat in a pub drinking mineral and let them drink away without a thought of going near it.To be fair to them they never put pressure on because there is a couple of the players in the team who dont drink anymore because they had problems with it

What gets me through is these situations is that i sit back and just think to myself that even though there in great form now you never see these people the next day because there in bad form and thats what drives me.If i do be in bad form theres never anybody there to pick up the horrible feeling that I have

Also Im getting my relationship back on track with my ex and really want to put in every effort with her after 10 months apart where my problems with alcohol played a major part

Thanks for listening

Thanks for the info hubba definitely gonna gove that a go, anything constructive helps appreciate you sharing the advice.

Well done seanrose thats great staying off it for as long, but be careful from reading the stories here and from experience it can easily happen that you fall back into it.

Have you tried AA for that added support. I'm off the sauce now 10 days and have gone to AA twice in that time and find it very benefical and really makes me think twice when I get cravings.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭seanrose

Thanks for the info hubba definitely gonna gove that a go, anything constructive helps appreciate you sharing the advice.

Well done seanrose thats great staying off it for as long, but be careful from reading the stories here and from experience it can easily happen that you fall back into it.

Have you tried AA for that added support. I'm off the sauce now 10 days and have gone to AA twice in that time and find it very benefical and really makes me think twice when I get cravings.

I never take anything for granted and have gone back to my old ways before but something tells me this time is different.

Good look with your mission jonboy,havent tried aa but at the minute the course im doing is an introduction to counselling skills course so im hoping that will give me more strength in the battle

I was never a constant drinker but anytime i did drink i was a disaster so the urges never really bother me.

Just to remind everyone so nothing is said by a mod that we're not allowed to discuss any form of treatment in detail as the forum cannot be put into a position that it is liable for such a thing. Some of the stuff mentioned has worked for me and I do agree but we can't discuss it openly as per the forum charter. For people just off the drink you'll figure out why we can't in time.

Best of luck to everyone anyway. Just use this thread to share how long you're off it and how you're getting on in general.

Sounds like you have a good grip on it, Seanrose. Well done and just keep it up. Very wise too on your opinion on people in 'good form' in pubs. You just never know what's really going on with people.

If they truly ARE in good form, drink shouldn't get the credit for that. Maybe they had a great day, worked hard to achieve something or maybe they are just happy to be meeting up with their friends or family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I'm coming up to 80 days :eek::o:p

No intention of going back on it either. Was tough at first, but I don't even notice it now.

A friend I hadn't seen in a while bought me a glass of wine at the weekend and I politely declined and swapped it for a non-alcoholic drink.

Not quite sure if she forgot or just presumed I was back on it. :D

Can't stress enough how much better my life is at the moment and how much happier I am. I haven't felt this good in years!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

3 weeks roughly, might not seem alot, was drinking way too much and got into one of those crappy cycles

trying to knock it for good, feel much better but my sleep pattern is messed up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Hey Everyone
    Havnt drank since Christmas. My reasons are im on lot of medication at moment, and i cant cope with hangovers, plus i dont really go out that much anyway.

Only thing im finding frustrating is the complete shock and nosiness of people when you order non alcoholic stuff. Its like im an alien or something and i dont want to tell them what medication im on!!

• Advertisement

nuxxx wrote: »
    3 weeks roughly, might not seem alot, was drinking way too much and got into one of those crappy cycles

trying to knock it for good, feel much better but my sleep pattern is messed up :rolleyes:

Exercise & improve your diet if it can be improved. Had the same problem but after about a month I was fine. I've lost 3 stone since October from not drinking, exercising regularly & improving my diet(although it still needs improvement!). If I can do it anyone can do it.

Advertisement