Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

vu+ duo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Just installed black hole 1.7.2 but it does not pick anything up on a scan on DTT . So far not able to find a menu for USB tuner stick install, has anyone come across this menu or any settings for DTT ?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

Tony wrote: »
    Just installed black hole 1.7.2 but it does not pick anything up on a scan on DTT . So far not able to find a menu for USB tuner stick install, has anyone come across this menu or any settings for DTT ?

There's no separate usb tuner menu anymore, it's supposed to find your tuner and install drivers automatically. Did you have your tuner plugged in when you flashed? Go to Setup->Service Searching->Tuner Configuration, and your tuner should be listed under Tuner C.

Thanks, the tuner is listed ok but channels not showing for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Installed it earlier and dtt(Nova-T) has already stalled. So much for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Why are people here using Blackhole? I don't mean that to sound critical... Just... what am I missing?
    I use Vix. I've never installed Blackhole. I've never had a problem with Vix -apart from the very occasional need to reboot earlier last year, which seems to have gone now (for me).

So, does Blackhole have some other qualities I'm missing on Vix?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

vuduo has been on the market for over 2 years, surely all these problems with dtt should have been sorted by now :eek:

All what problems?

I have my Vu+Duo for... can't think how long... a year maybe. Initially I had difficulties with DTT in that the unit needed rebooting once a week or fortnight. That wasn't a problem.
    Since then -for the past 4 months or so- I've had no issue with the Duo's DTT or anything else.
    Running the latest Vix (similar lack of problems with the Vix before that).

From what I hear people seem to be having more difficulties with Blackhole -why not try Vix?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

The reason I installed black hole is because of dtt issues with vix, just like 90% people posting here by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

Did you use the the one I have put link to?
    I still did not have to reboot and I have recorded late late show and have been watching it over the weekend.

Gipo3 wrote: »
    The reason I installed black hole is because of dtt issues with vix, just like 90% people posting here by the looks of it.

90%?

The impression being given here recently is that DTT on the Duo is broken, unwatchable, unuseable, unacceptable, useless.

I can appreciate that some people are having difficulties, but at its worst, from what I believe is happening, I still don't think it warrants the amount of "bad press" it's getting here -recently more than before now for some reason (?)

Have you tried using your DTT tuner via a powered hub? Anyone notice a difference after doing that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

Gipo3 wrote: »

90%?

The impression being given here recently is that DTT on the Duo is broken, unwatchable, unuseable, unacceptable, useless.

I can appreciate that some people are having difficulties, but at its worst, from what I believe is happening, I still don't think it warrants the amount of "bad press" it's getting here -recently more than before now for some reason (?)

Have you tried using your DTT tuner via a powered hub? Anyone notice a difference after doing that?
    Hi guys getting a duo this week from the uk, seller has installed latest vix image. I have dtt on my Tv but wouldn't mind via the duo as well. What tuner should I buy and anyone recommend a supplier? How much do they cost? Also can anyone confirm if the duo will send 5.1 to my receiver via hdmi unlike my sky hd box which only sends 2.0 ? Cheers Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Or push the boat out and go for the Dual tuner:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauppauge-NOVA-TD-Diversity-digital-freview/dp/B000N4LYH6/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1329079025&sr=1-1

You will be glad you done this whenever they start using mux 2.

• Tony wrote: »

Working fine for me Tony.

Have you configured the setup for the DTT tuner?

Mine was preset up for Australia, had to change it for Europe.

• Hi guys getting a duo this week from the uk, seller has installed latest vix image. I have dtt on my Tv but wouldn't mind via the duo as well. What tuner should I buy and anyone recommend a supplier? How much do they cost? Also can anyone confirm if the duo will send 5.1 to my receiver via hdmi unlike my sky hd box which only sends 2.0 ? Cheers Mick

If you have Play TV for the PS3 that will work too as a Dual DTT tuner.

Yeah I changed it to Europe and even tried a manual scan, just not picking up the channels even though aerial input is fine . Strange as it recognises the stick as A835 . Thanks for the reply

Working fine for me Tony.

Have you configured the setup for the DTT tuner?

Mine was preset up for Australia, had to change it for Europe.

Can someone confirm something for me please... It is possible to use the Duo to view movie files on a pc across a shared network isn't it?

Just, whenever I try to set up a mount (am I in the right place?) to access shared folders on my main pc (Windows 7) I run into difficulties. I can access these same folders/ files on my tablet, but can't see the folders via the duo.
    Anyone have any handy tips/ links for this -or basic instructions would be nice too? :)

Or put me out of my misery and tell me it's just not possible. Anything'd be better than wasting another evening faffing about with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Wiggy

Yeah I changed it to Europe and even tried a manual scan, just not picking up the channels even though aerial input is fine . Strange as it recognises the stick as A835 . Thanks for the reply

Tony - I don't know if this will help you, but this was posted on another forum as a solution for the problem of Irish channels not appearing with an averTV volar HD usb tuner:
    For Irish DTT, do a Full Scan (Tuned) with these settings:
    Freq. 738000000
    Band. 8Mhz
    Inversion. Auto
    Constellation QAM 64
    LP Coderate 1/2
    HP Coderate 2/3
    Trans. Mode 8k
    Guard Interval 1/32
    Hierarchy None

Thanks for the help Wiggy but unfortunately its still not finding any channels on the scan.

Wiggy wrote: »
    Tony - I don't know if this will help you, but this was posted on another forum as a solution for the problem of Irish channels not appearing with an averTV volar HD usb tuner:
    For Irish DTT, do a Full Scan (Tuned) with these settings:
    Freq. 738000000
    Band. 8Mhz
    Inversion. Auto
    Constellation QAM 64
    LP Coderate 1/2
    HP Coderate 2/3
    Trans. Mode 8k
    Guard Interval 1/32
    Hierarchy None

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭jgc115

Tony, I don't know what box you have, so I have included both ipk files for duo and uno. These are apparently a fix for the type of problem you are experiencing.
    As you probably know, after install you have to reboot your box.

Please note - After downloading the files rename the files to .ipk files as I had to change them to .txt files to upload them.

• Advertisement

AAARRRGGGHHHH!

After muddling around with trying to get a shared folder on my pc to show up on the Duo, I've finally gone and busted it all...

My Duo won't now restart -it hangs on reboot saying "Starting..." in the console window.

Yes I've left it off overnight and still won't reboot next morning.

Yes I've reinstalled Vix (2.3GM and later -separately- 2.3.133).
    This does fix the problem, in that I can setup the standard satt-channels...

but the problem happens when I try to add the DTT (Nova-T). In plugins, I select the driver named <something>700. It appears to install correctly, but at the end of the reams of install jargon there's an error -something like "module not found <something700>" (ie. the name of the driver).

If I check the list of available drivers to download a this point it is no longer there.
    If I check the list of drivers available for removal it's not there either.

...So I reboot...

*This* is when I get back to the "Starting..." message. AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!

I've been at it now, reinstalling, reconfiguring, etc. etc., but always gets back to "Starting..."

I've tried the Nova stick in my pc. It shows up as the Hauppage Nova-T. I don't have software installed for it so I can't do anything other than that at this time, but it's showing up correctly at least.

Perhaps all this is to teach me a lesson for asking "why use Blackhole?", but honestly it was a serious question.
    Of course now I'm thinking possibly the only fix is to install Blackhole... but I would prefer to stick with Vix since I've come to understand it (a little bit) and I haven't really had any problems up to now.

So please please please... any help much appreciated. !

Thanks i'll try that tomorrow, appreciate the help

jgc115 wrote: »
    Tony, I don't know what box you have, so I have included both ipk files for duo and uno. These are apparently a fix for the type of problem you are experiencing.
    As you probably know, after install you have to reboot your box.

Please note - After downloading the files rename the files to .ipk files as I had to change them to .txt files to upload them.

Edit: just tried that now and it fixed the problem . Its vu Duo btw with volar Dtt stick

Thanks again for the help, box works just fine now with cross epg working no problem which was another issue I had with older image .

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

AAARRRGGGHHHH!

After muddling around with trying to get a shared folder on my pc to show up on the Duo, I've finally gone and busted it all...

My Duo won't now restart -it hangs on reboot saying "Starting..." in the console window.

Yes I've left it off overnight and still won't reboot next morning.

Yes I've reinstalled Vix (2.3GM and later -separately- 2.3.133).
    This does fix the problem, in that I can setup the standard satt-channels...

but the problem happens when I try to add the DTT (Nova-T). In plugins, I select the driver named <something>700. It appears to install correctly, but at the end of the reams of install jargon there's an error -something like "module not found <something700>" (ie. the name of the driver).

If I check the list of available drivers to download a this point it is no longer there.
    If I check the list of drivers available for removal it's not there either.

...So I reboot...

*This* is when I get back to the "Starting..." message. AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!

I've been at it now, reinstalling, reconfiguring, etc. etc., but always gets back to "Starting..."

I've tried the Nova stick in my pc. It shows up as the Hauppage Nova-T. I don't have software installed for it so I can't do anything other than that at this time, but it's showing up correctly at least.

Perhaps all this is to teach me a lesson for asking "why use Blackhole?", but honestly it was a serious question.
    Of course now I'm thinking possibly the only fix is to install Blackhole... but I would prefer to stick with Vix since I've come to understand it (a little bit) and I haven't really had any problems up to now.

So please please please... any help much appreciated. !

I had something similar after trying to setup a share, except it would take an age to boot, but would eventually. Have you removed all references to the share, on the duo and PC? Also had it happen when using a pen dive in Linux format, would happen half the time on a full restart. Cured by using FAT32. Have you tried starting with nothing attached?

Re the DTT tuner, I got that error at the end of the install too, but it works, you have to give it a full restart. The driver is no longer listed, as it is installed. I don't know why it's not available to uninstall.

As regards "Why Blackhole", at the time I got my Duo, there were drivers available for the USB tuner I had, so I went with that. I tried Vix a while ago, (pre OpenVix I think) but got a lot of spinners/green screens, so gave up.

However, after realising the settings backups I had wouldn't carry over to the latest image, I decided to give Vix another go. All good so far, except my USB pen drive keeps disappearing/unmounting, so the picons get lost/mixed up. Otherwise, happy enough:)

Thanks rurs. I'll look into your suggestions later today, asap. I started a thread on it on world of satellite here for anyone who's interested.

I did try a lot of things (including waiting hours for it to start up), but I'll try to be methodical in re-doing things. The latest suggestion on that link -bootflash/ image flash/ online update sounds hopeful. But then I get hopeful every time I get any suggestion and so far it's only been dashed.

I finally managed to fix it (with great help from the world of satellite forum) by re-flashing the bootloader and installing the latest Vix before updating the DTT driver. Phew!

...Just one problem now... I can't see the Duo on my Windows (7) PC.
    I could see this before. Can't remember did I use a plugin or something to have the Duo show up as a PC in the network. . . or what did I do??

(note: I can ping the duo on the correct ip and I can ftp to it... just doesn't show in Windows Explorer/ Network)

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I finally managed to fix it (with great help from the world of satellite forum) by re-flashing the bootloader and installing the latest Vix before updating the DTT driver. Phew!

...Just one problem now... I can't see the Duo on my Windows (7) PC.
    I could see this before. Can't remember did I use a plugin or something to have the Duo show up as a PC in the network. . . or what did I do??

(note: I can ping the duo on the correct ip and I can ftp to it... just doesn't show in Windows Explorer/ Network)

Anyone?

Make sure that DNLA and Ushare is switched on and autostarting on the Vu +
    Go to Menu>Settings>Network and check there.

banie01 wrote: »
    Make sure that DNLA and Ushare is switched on and autostarting on the Vu +
    Go to Menu>Settings>Network and check there.

OK. Thanks.
    I can now see it in Windows as a media share. However, before I could view it as a network pc and map to it in Explorer same as a hard disk in any other network-connected pc.

I've just discovered I can still do this on my android tablet, so I'm wondering if it's something I've disabled in Windows. ...I'm thinking maybe I was mucking about with some settings a few days ago. Haven't a clue now what/ where/ why/ when...

Anyone?

False alarm!

Just discovered I had the wrong number in the subnet mask. Funny how the tablet was still able to view it.

Anyway all working now. :)

I finally got the Duo to see shared drives across the network and it plays (so far) all video formats I've tried on it -including MKVs, which is very nice.

One problem is I only get stereo (or prologic maybe) sound even from DD5.1 / DTS files.
    Is it possible to get 5.1 output via the Duo? [Mine is connected via optical out]

And while I'm at it, what's the quickest/ best way to run/ browse to these files? So far I've used Media Player in plugins so I long-press on Blue, then go to plugins, then Media Player... is there an easier/ better way?

• Advertisement

Is it possible to get 5.1 output via the Duo? [Mine is connected via optical out]

Yes it is , take a look at audio settings and make sure dolby digital downmix is turned off

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement