Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wearing pyjamas in public

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sophie22

hatz7 wrote: »
    They ARE dressed.
    There are inside PJ's and outside PJ's, sometimes with a bathrobe on if its cold or drizzling.

That's how they roll.I think its part of their culture.

Now I'm not saying this to be smart,
    but part of me says (to myself, as you would) you know, fair play to them,
    they know they aren't going anywhere in life,literally...anywhere,
    maybe Portlaoise, to visit the prison.
    So they wear their uniform around town,(and its all girls too,you don't see fellas doing it.) and they don't give a toss about other people and other people don't give a toss about them.
    That's their life.

So I think I can understand why.
    If I caught my sister going round town in her PJ's I'd bate her down the road.

I really dont know how you can understand this.. its nothing short of disgusting. I think the majority of them only do it for attention as when you see other people looking at them the pj wearers seem to love it so i just dont bother giving them the attention they want.

once saw a women in dunnes carpark get out of her car wearing full pjs plus a dressing gown go into the lift and proceed to walk around town!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

They ARE dressed.
    There are inside PJ's and outside PJ's, sometimes with a bathrobe on if its cold or drizzling.

That's how they roll.I think its part of their culture.

Now I'm not saying this to be smart,
    but part of me says (to myself, as you would) you know, fair play to them,
    they know they aren't going anywhere in life,literally...anywhere,
    maybe Portlaoise, to visit the prison.
    So they wear their uniform around town,(and its all girls too,you don't see fellas doing it.) and they don't give a toss about other people and other people don't give a toss about them.
    That's their life.

So I think I can understand why.
    If I caught my sister going round town in her PJ's I'd bate her down the road.

Agreed. I would guess that none of them are doing it to show the world two fingers. They dont care about anything. Thats meant literally, nothing matters to them. The opionions of other people just doesnt come into it. Self respect is non existant in these people.

You can try and rationalise it all you want, but the majority of us could never even comprehend the mindset of these sections of the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

They look like they've just given up on the idea of working and have accepted a life of spongeing. I agree with the OP that businesses shouldn't let them in. I know that it's a type of lower-class discrimination but it might get them to get dressed - and getting dressed is one of the first steps to getting a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

They look like they've just given up on the idea of working and have accepted a life of spongeing. I agree with the OP that businesses shouldn't let them in. I know that it's a type of lower-class discrimination but it might get them to get dressed - and getting dressed is one of the first steps to getting a job.

Using the words "giving up" makes it sound like they once wanted to work. From personal experiences they never wanted to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

lebo.jpg?w=510&h=408

The Big Lebowski: Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski. Condolences. The bums lost. My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?
    [the Dude walks out and shuts the door]
    The Big Lebowski: The bums will always lose!
    Brandt: How was your meeting, Mr. Lebowski?
    The Dude: Okay. The old man told me to take any rugcopper tank in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

foinse wrote: »
    Using the words "giving up" makes it sound like they once wanted to work. From personal experiences they never wanted to work.

There you have it. Its not like one day they woke up and decided 'nah, f**k this, its the laid back life for me' . What we're witnessing is most likely 3rd and 4th generation long term unemployed, bottom of the barrell in the social classes, living their lives in the 00's. The pyjamas are merely a another symptom of the mindset of these people. The "nowhere to go and no plans to get there" group.

When you dont have any aspirations in life, and if have/had nothing to work from then you continue on only as you know how, and that is subsisting. Day to day, hand to mouth. Even if you gave every single one of them a job, it wouldnt make a blind bit of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭hatz7

sophie22 wrote: »
    I really dont know how you can understand this.. its nothing short of disgusting. I think the majority of them only do it for attention as when you see other people looking at them the pj wearers seem to love it so i just dont bother giving them the attention they want.

once saw a women in dunnes carpark get out of her car wearing full pjs plus a dressing gown go into the lift and proceed to walk around town!!:rolleyes:

Well its not that hard, I see them every day, its kinda irrelevant if its disgusting or not (yes I agree its distasteful, but its still irrelevant)

I imagine that they do not wear pj's for attention. They do it because its normal for them to do it.

I have to agree with another poster that said wearing pj's might be related to being part of the 3rd or 4th generation of families that have lived in poverty.

I think the fact that they go around in their uniform is helpful, it lets the rest of us know that there is a segment of our population that is really far removed from mainstream society. How to begin to bridge that gap is a job for another thread.

My biggest question is what this 'class of people' is going to be like in the next generation,say 20 years time, its gonna be hilarious,
    They have gone from wearing clothes to pj's to???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

bobmeaney wrote: »
    There you have it. Its not like one day they woke up and decided 'nah, f**k this, its the laid back life for me' . What we're witnessing is most likely 3rd and 4th generation long term unemployed, bottom of the barrell in the social classes, living their lives in the 00's. The pyjamas are merely a another symptom of the mindset of these people. The "nowhere to go and no plans to get there" group.

When you dont have any aspirations in life, and if have/had nothing to work from then you continue on only as you know how, and that is subsisting. Day to day, hand to mouth. Even if you gave every single one of them a job, it wouldnt make a blind bit of difference.

what is the solution to this problem? these people breed like rabbits. maybe replacing welfare with workfare?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sophie22

foinse wrote: »

ha couldnt have said it better myself!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jay_3123

That could not be true, that is unnaturally funny :D

I see they have moved out to Castletroy now. You notice them strolling too n fro the Maxol by Singland. Breakfast roll, john player blue can o coke ooh ya!

That's Limerick Citaaay:)

Too funny.

• Advertisement

langdang wrote: »
    lebo.jpg?w=510&h=408

The Big Lebowski: Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski. Condolences. The bums lost. My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?
    [the Dude walks out and shuts the door]
    The Big Lebowski: The bums will always lose!
    Brandt: How was your meeting, Mr. Lebowski?
    The Dude: Okay. The old man told me to take any rugcopper tank in the house.

lol, brilliant. The picture really did it.

My biggest question is what this 'class of people' is going to be like in the next generation,say 20 years time, its gonna be hilarious,
    They have gone from wearing clothes to pj's to???

hahaha

mike kelly wrote: »
    what is the solution to this problem?
    ... replacing welfare with workfare?

Agreed

Advertisement