Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cheap alternatives to garmin cadence and HR sensors

Options
  • 19-04-2014 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

I recently bought a 310xt from ebay and all is going well but i am now interested in getting a hr monitor and cadence sensor.

As many of us know the garmin versions of these are expensive and (dare I say it) overpriced.

While on ebay earlier did notice that ere is someone who is selling "sportek" sensors/monitors at a fairly low price when compared to the garmin versions.

I decided that I better come to the fountain of knowledge that is boards.ie to see if:
    1. Have any of you tried these cheap alternatives? and
    2. Are there any worthwhile inexpensive alternatives to the garmin branded monitors/sensors?

All suggestions greatly appreciated,

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

not sure about the 310xt but I think the edge range will work with any ant device

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Cadence/speed sensor is €20 on decathlon not inc delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

I got the Adidas Ant+ heart rate belt off their website for €28 delivered. Works with my Edge 500 and Forerunner 210.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Bennybeau

Thanks for the posts so far folks.
    I'll be checking those sites out. Esp for the speed/cadence sensor.

CJC999 wrote: »
    Cadence/speed sensor is €20 on decathlon not inc delivery.

The garmin one? It's £49

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/gsc-10-speed-cadence-sensor-id_8244122.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭browsing

I got the Adidas Ant+ heart rate belt off their website for €28 delivered. Works with my Edge 500 and Forerunner 210.

Hey 2wheelsgood, have you had this long? Have you had any problems with dodgey readings or the strap being uncomfortable etc? I need one and at this price I'm tempted.

Would you advise just springing the bit extra for the garmin strap as this one is kinda false economy or are you totally happy with it?

I was on Decathlon earlier and I can't register a city with them when I try to register and then you can't contact them. It gives you the options but the links are unresponsive when you click on them. Has anyone registered with or bought online from this company

Got this from Decathlon today which was a bit of a pain,

Thank you for contacting us.
    Unfortunately, we are currently only delivering within the UK. Please note that your delivery address must be in the UK. However, your delivery address and billing address may differ.
    You still have the option to send your order to an address in the UK and arrange the delivery abroad yourself. Or you can contact the Belfast store to see if they have the products in stock and can deliver them to you.
    Have a nice day.

;-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Bennybeau wrote: »
    Got this from Decathlon today which was a bit of a pain,

Thank you for contacting us.
    Unfortunately, we are currently only delivering within the UK. Please note that your delivery address must be in the UK. However, your delivery address and billing address may differ.
    You still have the option to send your order to an address in the UK and arrange the delivery abroad yourself. Or you can contact the Belfast store to see if they have the products in stock and can deliver them to you.
    Have a nice day.

;-(

use parcel motel!!!!! It will deliver to Nightline depot in Northern Ireland and they will bring it down south and put into a kiosk.

I've never used it but I;ve heard very good things about it.

http://www.parcelmotel.com/about.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Mrs. Zen0 has ordered stuff from Decathlon in Belfast. It involved some convoluted process of putting stuff in the basket and then ringing Belfast to sort out the delivery. Real case of the system not supporting the practice. Give them a call and ask.

I got set up with PARCEL MOTEL and have bought the geonaute Hr monitor and btwin cadence sensor from Decathlon.co.uk
    Thanks for all the help folkd I will let you know how I get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Zen0 wrote: »
    Mrs. Zen0 has ordered stuff from Decathlon in Belfast. It involved some convoluted process of putting stuff in the basket and then ringing Belfast to sort out the delivery. Real case of the system not supporting the practice. Give them a call and ask.

Did the same thing when ordered my btwin speed/cadence sensor. Had to include some sort of bag in the basket to cover delivery. Then emailed them with conformation and with my address. It came very quick and works well with my Edge 500. I even e-mailed fellow looking after me to say thank you.
    Ring them for exact details. Very happy with the service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

browsing wrote: »
    Hey 2wheelsgood, have you had this long? Have you had any problems with dodgey readings or the strap being uncomfortable etc? I need one and at this price I'm tempted.

Would you advise just springing the bit extra for the garmin strap as this one is kinda false economy or are you totally happy with it?
    Sorry, didn't see your q, haven't used it a huge amount yet. The last 2 days I've used it on 2 longish cycles. Found it fine comfort wise and had my Sunnto on as well. The max and averages were close enough. Reading the graph, nothing looks too out of place. It shows more info than the Sunnto. I can't compare directly as the Suunto was on total time while the Garmin was moving time.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭browsing

Sorry, didn't see your q, haven't used it a huge amount yet. The last 2 days I've used it on 2 longish cycles. Found it fine comfort wise and had my Sunnto on as well. The max and averages were close enough. Reading the graph, nothing looks too out of place. It shows more info than the Sunnto. I can't compare directly as the Suunto was on total time while the Garmin was moving time.

I was just wondering if it's false economy and one would be better off going for the real deal! Thanks for the feedback, if you're having good results with it, I think I might go with it. Much cheaper than the garmin alternative! Thanks again!

Advertisement