Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sample text for the IEDR for .ie domain

• 05-06-2009 12:34pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I have just registered .ie domain name for a solicitor and the IEDR are looking for proof that the applicant has a claim to the domain name.

We have headed letter paper - what needs to go on it?

Thanks,

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Your company registration number i'd say. that's what usually is required to confirm your business name is linked to domain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That's what I'd normally supply, and that's why this is the first time I've been asked for more documentation.

The solicitor is operating as something like "John T Smith and Co solicitors" (made up name), and they don't appear to be registered on the CRO site - which they may not need to anyway as it's his own name. I supplied the VAT number, but it's in the name of John T Smith and Joe Smith", so that's not enough for them.

I just need some sample text to put on their headed paper to say why they have a claim on the domain name.

For example:
    To whom it may concern,

This is to confirm that I have been operating as "John T Smith and co solicitors" in Ireland since 19(whenever), and I am requesting a domain name of jtsmith.ie.

best regards,

John T Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

If they are trading under something other than their name shouldn't they have a business name or its .. not legal ? ... you may want to ask a solicitor about that though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

on a different note they have to be registered as something so get onto them
    I'm applying for the domain XYZ on behalf of ZYX as they are solicitors and this domain would benefit their business. They are registered with the Business Name / Number YZX

Regards,
    Bob

Normally its quite handy (this might just have been my experience though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

probably best to call them on phone in this case. clarify what they will accept as proof of claim.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

When I said "(made up name)" I meant for the purposes of this post. The firm is under his name, but just has "and co solicitors" at the end. They are registered with the law society, and I'm sure they've ticked the boxes they need to.

It turns out it's a partnership, so maybe they should have registered a business name if only one of those names is the business name.

Anyway, the IEDR got back and gave me more details so hopefully we'll be sorted once we get the letter back.

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

FYI - a link to the solictors listing on http://www.lawsociety.ie/search.aspx will suffice also.

damalo wrote: »
    FYI - a link to the solictors listing on http://www.lawsociety.ie/search.aspx will suffice also.

Thanks damalo - I actually did send them the link, but they're still being awkward, but I've send them a signed fax on headed paper, which might do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

Hmm odd that. It is their general policy to accept it but every situation is different...

G'luck

• Advertisement

I think the problem is that they are a partnership but only trade under one of their names. Hopefully the signed fax will be enough, should know today. Thanks again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Iv registered loads of domains for my clients and all I give is the Registered Business Number and its registered without the need for faxes. I only ever need to send in a fax if im changing something or moving servers.

Thanks Sully - I've registered a few as well, but I don't have an RBN for this customer as it's a partnership and they appear to be trading under just one of the partner's names, and do not appear to have registered this with the CRO.

I got sorted this afternoon though. No email to confirm it, but the domain is active now.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭djb85

eoin wrote: »
    Thanks Sully - I've registered a few as well, but I don't have an RBN for this customer as it's a partnership and they appear to be trading under just one of the partner's names, and do not appear to have registered this with the CRO.

I got sorted this afternoon though. No email to confirm it, but the domain is active now.

If trading as a partnership under a name, does this need to be registered with the CRO? Or how would I go about setting up a partnership legally?

djb85 wrote: »
    If trading as a partnership under a name, does this need to be registered with the CRO? Or how would I go about setting up a partnership legally?

Registering a business name with the CRO is dead easy, but haven't a clue about the partnership. Their domain name is sorted, so I'm not going to get involved with that for them!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

djb85 wrote: »

Still through the CRO, best speak with your accountant/solicitor on the best way forward.

Advertisement