Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol prices on the UP AGAIN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Last weekend this has gone to 161.9.

8 cent increase per litre in one month:mad::mad:

WTF ?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Anyone tell me why on the 10th feb I paid €1.538 per litre, and today I paid €1.578 in the exact same garage in Wexford (might I add in one of the cheapest ones around), they have all increased.

4 cent a litre dearer in two weeks, on top of all the other increases over the last few months.

I often wonder if the media drives these price increases, the minute there are articles on the radio and tv about the price of petrol it seems to be come acceptable to go and increase the damn price of it.

What justification is there to increase the petrol per litre by 4 cent per litre when oil is at one of it's lowest prices in the last few years?

When will people stop and wake up, when it gets to €2.00 per litre, then we give out for a while, and get used to the benchmark being €2.00 per litre and up it goes again....?

I for one am P*ssed off at these non sensicle increases, and where no one has to justify them to anyone.:mad::mad::mad: People need petrol so is it a case that they'll charge whatever the hell they want for it? I am aware that the Gov take a huge chunk of the price so they better act or......:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,239 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yesterday: Petrol 1.63
    Diesel 1.59
    The price is rising weekly at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

ottostreet wrote: »
    It is relentlessly rising. How is it rising so bloody quickly?

Greed.
    Enjoy your Finna Gael government you voted in people.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭eire1

Paid 165.9 yesterday in Topaz Coolmine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

NinjaK wrote: »
    Greed.

It's rising all over the world nothing to do with our Government

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

166.9 for petrol in Westside, Galway on Wednesday evening. About 3 cent dearer than most other places in Galway. I havent seen a decrease in quite a while.

Greed.

You'd prefer the Sinners or Ff would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I hear the Shinners have the inside track on the cheap diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

I think its time fuel pricing was regulated . The Topaz station in tallaght has had four increases in the last week from 160.9 to 166.9 . There is no way they could have received four different supplier invoices in the last week and changing the price of the fuel that is already in their tanks is pure profiteering. I am amazed at the silence from the hauliers considering the protests when fuel was half todays price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

"Shinner":rolleyes:
    Would rather be a "Shinner" than a west-Brit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Yesterday: Petrol 1.63
    Diesel 1.59
    The price is rising weekly at this stage.

Fuel is rising on wholesale markets at least 3 times a week.

Most stations are actually absorbing the increases for a few days before increasing their prices. Although no one here believes or cares the fact is Stations are totally against the idea of fuel price being high, we sell loads more, make more margin, and get far more impulse buys the cheaper fuel is.

A lot if garages are running at a loss (yes loss) at the moment. If this continues closures will hit big time, and you'll be left with the tesco etc situation that England finds itself in.

As an aside at least the issue of washed derv and striped unl is being addressed at last. The criminal elements selling ten cents cheaper than everyone else and destroying countless vehicles will be gone this time next year

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You're not doing Sinn Féin any favours with that attitude.:)

So you would prefer SF in government rather than FG and you reckon SF wouldn't increase fuel prices?

I wouldn't be a fan of SF, wouldn't make me a West brit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Oh well, there goes the thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Anan1 wrote: »
    I hear the Shinners have the inside track on the cheap diesel.
    Anan1 wrote: »
    You're not doing Sinn Féin any favours with that attitude.:)
    RoverJames wrote: »
    So you would prefer SF in government rather than FG and you reckon SF wouldn't increase fuel prices?

I wouldn't be a fan of SF, wouldn't make me a West brit though.
    dulpit wrote: »
    Oh well, there goes the thread...

Can we keep this crap out of here please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭phonejacker

blindpilot wrote: »
    166.9 for petrol in Westside, Galway on Wednesday evening. About 3 cent dearer than most other places in Galway. I havent seen a decrease in quite a while.

they dropped the price by 1 cent yesterday 165.9

i wonder will we see 200.9 per liter by the end of the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

I see the cost of fuel as an increasing variable :)

People need to get real, in 1999 unleaded varied from IR£0.62/litre to IR£0.66/litre, so in 13 years it's doubled in price.

Compare salaries, minimum wage etc now to back then.

I earned more in 1999 than i do now. I'd say given the downturn in the economy others are in the same position. Luckily for me i live within walking distance of most places and have a huge public transport network. A bloke in my job pays 120 euro a week on diesel to get to and from work (Gorey to Sandyford) it's guys like him that are on the brink of quiting because he'd be better off on the dole than working due to the high cost of fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Dubit10 wrote: »

People need to get real, in 1999 unleaded varied from IR£0.62/litre to IR£0.66/litre, so in 13 years it's doubled in price.

I earned more in 1999 than i do now. I'd say given the downturn in the economy others are in the same position. Luckily for me i live within walking distance of most places and have a huge public transport network. A bloke in my job pays 120 euro a week on diesel to get to and from work (Gorey to Sandyford) it's guys like him that are on the brink of quiting because he'd be better off on the dole than working due to the high cost of fuel.

He'd be better off getting 220 a week on the dole ?

?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Hammertime wrote: »

As an aside at least the issue of washed derv and striped unl is being addressed at last. The criminal elements selling ten cents cheaper than everyone else and destroying countless vehicles will be gone this time next year

What solution have they come up with for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,501 ✭✭✭✭vectra

He'd be better off getting 220 a week on the dole ?

?
    That would be assuming he would be single. If he is a married man with say 2 or 3 kids than he would be getting approx 420 or so?
    Add to that the saving of 120 per week and now he is on 540..approx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭analfabets

vectra wrote: »
    That would be assuming he would be single. If he is a married man with say 2 or 3 kids than he would be getting approx 420 or so?
    Add to that the saving of 120 per week and now he is on 540..approx
    I know it's completely of toppic but my wife is out of work, we have 1 child and she is getting 30€ a week because I'm working. So it could be a lot less than you think. I can't complain however as I still have a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

If your earned more in 1999 than you do know you must have been in receipt of some huge bonuses or commissions or have readily taken worse jobs.
    I accept the governemnt had thrown up the price of fuel in successive budgets but they still haven't reached European levels (and if you think they've higher disposable incomes the majority simply don't) As for petrol is to expensive I'm going on the dole. What a horrible attitude to hold.
    Why in gods name did peope move 100km from work and expect everything to be okay? Is there not a train or bus service that could reduce his outgoings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

heate wrote: »
    Why in gods name did peope move 100km from work and expect everything to be okay? Is there not a train or bus service that could reduce his outgoings?

In fairness not all of us moved to where we are now :rolleyes:
    Where I live there is just no employment worth talking about.. Companies round here are all on the downturn and laying more staff off...
    Also we can't all move to Dublin, Cork, Galway where the majority of jobs seem to be centered... For 13 years I drove 120miles round trip to work and was happy to do so... However in that time the only progress that was made towards public transport was the M3, it adds €5 to the daily trip while only saving a little time rather than fuel....

I took a much lower paid job to be working closer to home but it's no picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,239 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

they dropped the price by 1 cent yesterday 165.9

i wonder will we see 200.9 per liter by the end of the year?

Its looking that way. Although i got a fill of diesel for 154.9 today so it pays to keep an eye out for slightly cheaper fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Whats striped unl ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Blut2

Thats an 80km commute each way. Why in gods name would you live 80km away from your job? He's got nobody to blame but himself in that situation - either move house or move jobs. Driving 160km a day (plus any leisure driving) is madness.

Blut2 wrote: »

Thats an 80km commute each way. Why in gods name would you live 80km away from your job? He's got nobody to blame but himself in that situation - either move house or move jobs. Driving 160km a day (plus any leisure driving) is madness.
    Have to agree. Was there a huge jobs market in the Gorey area that the rest of us didn't know about?
    West Dublin area is pretty accessible for commuting from and to why didn't people move there.
    Or do I simply not grasp the issues facing

Have to agree. Was there a huge jobs market in the Gorey area that the rest of us didn't know about? Or did people just buy and think all will be fine. 160km a day is an absurd commute in Ireland.
    I did 200km a day for a while from Zurich to Basel but it was for work and I didn't have to pay for the commute but it was still a pain in the head having to get out of bed at 7 and knowing I had to drive an hour and a half. Every evening coming home I was just tired and a bit pissed off that I was missing so much of my time without anything to show for it.
    I subsequently have discovered that a lot of people do the commute and go by train without any issue.
    West Dublin area is pretty accessible for commuting from and to why didn't people move there.
    Or do I simply not grasp the issues facing people that forced them to 'buy' a house in Gorey? I can understand that people are stuck by their decisions and there really isn't much that can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Elessar

It's not so easy. You can't just up, sell your house immediately and move your entire family just like that. It's a lot more complicated than it seems.

And yes lads it is that bad for jobs. I work in Dublin Airport and some of my colleagues are coming from miles out, daily. One fella lives in Portarlington, thats circa 90km each way, day in day out. Another girl lives in Borris in Ossory and commutes. Another from Edgeworthstown. Clonard. Mullingar. In normal times the mind would boggle, but it really is THAT hard to get jobs at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I earned more in 1999 than i do now. I'd say given the downturn in the economy others are in the same position.

Extremely unlikely except in very certain circumstances.

Even basic entry level wages are up about 30% or more after conversion to euro since 1999.

The mimimum wage in 2000 was £4.40 and its now €8.65.

Advertisement