Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 1.6 petrol engine?

• 29-05-2017 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey guys, so basically I've failed the NCT numerous times while trying different temporary work arounds for major engine problems. None have worked.

So I've decided to just get myself a second hand engine as to be honest, I havn't the funds for a new/rebuilt engine.

Thing is, I cannot find an engine ANYWHERE in Ireland for my car. Apparently oil burning is a common problem in the older A4's. I do love the car though and otherwise she's sound as a nut.

Any advice on where to locate a decent second hand one? Or even anyone here selling one or breaking same?

2004 Audi A4 1.6 petrol ALZ engine code.

Cheers!
    Tagged:

Comments

I think your best move here is to scrap it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ConorSmartt

As I said, I'd rather just get a second hand engine, car ifs tip top other than that. So it's pay up to 600ish for a second hand engine and have a perfect working car that I like, or spend god knows what on something I don't want.

As I said, I'd rather just get a second hand engine, car ifs tip top other than that. So it's pay up to 600ish for a second hand engine and have a perfect working car that I like, or spend god knows what on something I don't want.

But you cant get the engine, isnt that the problem here?

Even if you do source one that engine is a dog and the replacement will most likely drink oil too.

My advice is to cut your losses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Honestly I know you like the car but cut your losses. Engine costs x. Delivery costs y. Fitting costs z.

You would have the pick of 2004 a4s out there for less money. Definitely pick one of them up for under a grand. Just over will get you a very good one. Unless it's sentimental time to let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

When you factor in the cost of an engine, delivery and fitting (plus you will have to get the engine fully serviced inc belt if it's belt driven) then you'd be out a small fortune. You could buy a better car for less money.

If you are intent on replacing the engine did you try CMcLaughlin VW/Audi breakers in Burnfoot Co Donegal?

http://www.findapart.ie/dismantlers/McLaughlin-Car-Breakers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Advertisement