Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do repeat LC students need to repeat orals/practicals?

• 20-08-2014 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Quick query. Do repeat students that are sitting six subjects need to repeat Irish and foreign language oral exams? Or can last 2014's oral exam be used? Also, does practical work (I.e home ec journal, history project) need to be repeated? Is the option there to repeat them if the students so wishes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭booblefoop

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you need to sit all of the sections of an exam in the same year, including the orals/practicals.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You must do them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Everything has to be repeated except the LCVP Portfolio. You are not allowed repeat that, your score from the portfolio is carried over to the next year and you just do the written exam.

Be careful with some subjects, for some of them you can't submit the same project twice. E.g. in construction I think you have to do a new project, in ag science you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

remember if you are doing the home ec journal all the assignments change so you are doing a completely new journal, your notes from last year will help for layout but nothing else unfortunately so you will need to work hard on it to get it done on time, you only get a couple of months to do it instead of all of fifth year but its still manageable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 nicolevins

Go raibh maith agaibh, all of your answers helped. All the best. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 JF77

I am repeating this year for medicine and was wondering if i need to repeat HL English this year too? I got an A2 in it last year but i don't want to have to learn all the new material. I don't think that English is an entry requirement for medicine but if someone could back this up for me, it'd be brilliant! Thank you

JF77 wrote: »
    I am repeating this year for medicine and was wondering if i need to repeat HL English this year too? I got an A2 in it last year but i don't want to have to learn all the new material. I don't think that English is an entry requirement for medicine but if someone could back this up for me, it'd be brilliant! Thank you

You have to do all subject requirements in one year for medicine. That included English if it's a college entry requirement

You have to do all subject requirements in one year for medicine. That included English if it's a college entry requirement

Thank you for clearing that up. I'm pretty sure that English is a college entry for TCD and UCD so it looks like I'll be doing English. Would you recommend taking on the new higher level course or just doing pass English?

JF77 wrote: »
    Thank you for clearing that up. I'm pretty sure that English is a college entry for TCD and UCD so it looks like I'll be doing English. Would you recommend taking on the new higher level course or just doing pass English?

I teach science not English. You're obviously capable in English. I suppose what you need to consider is can you get six solid grades in other subjects which would allow you to do OL?

I teach science not English. You're obviously capable in English. I suppose what you need to consider is can you get six solid grades in other subjects which would allow you to do OL?

Thank you again for all your help. I didn't count English this year so I think that I'll do pass English and concentrate on my other 6 and hope to get A1s in them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

If you weren't counting English, and you don't feel it's one you can score highly in, it may be as well to have it as your 7th subject and do Pass, especially as the course will have changed somewhat so you would have entirely new material to cover.

You will have to do it though because as you say it is a requirement for the universities.

Advertisement