Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Not many decisions for Mark in selecting the team. Only room for real options are in the second and backrow

Court Best Afoa are locked in starters
    Muller and either Tuohy or Stevenson in the two
    Henry to start and two from Diack Henderson Wilson and Williams in the back row
    Pienaar Jackson at 9 and 10
    Will Marshall be fit or will Olding partner Cave. Very hard to drop Olding after his recent form but Marshall has to be ahead of him.
    Gilroy and Trimble on the wings with Payne at FB

Herring Black and Lutton/Fitzpatrick on the bench, is Lutton's performance against Leinster enough or will Fitzpatrick come straight back in.
    Who will be the backrow on the bench, could Mark go for a 6-2 split again
    Marshall or Heaney as sub scrumhalf

Yeah the backline picks itself, its just a matyer of whether Marshall is ok.

I think Tuohy was excellent on Saturday so I'd be very surprised if he doesnt partner Muller.

Henry and Williams pick themselves in the back row and while Diack played well on Saturday I think it would be hard to leave Henderson out who was superb off the bench.

The question is the make up of the bench and whether the rumours of Bowe's availability are true or not.

I just hope Afoa makes it back from NZ!

Do Saracens still have a fat lady that they get to sing in the last few minutes if Sarries are winning?

Heading over with six others, half of them are London based exiles. I really can't wait.

Think I'll have to sky plus it as with a 6pm KO there is a chance I wont remember some of it just like the semi last year.

And awec Harp is pish! But it's our pish...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

God, I hope Ulster beat Saracens, for purely chauvinistic reasons of course, but also I really, really don't like Saracens as a club. The thought of them winning the Heineken frankly turns my stomach....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

David Kelly just tweeted there's rumours of Tommy Booooowwwwwwwwe playing this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭MolBee

Yep it supposedly came from the mouth of Ulster's physio, strongly rumoured he'll be on the bench.

T Bowe back in training anyway. And marshall. And he's very pleased too!

737916.jpg

Rest of images from training today: http://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/1304010/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

I don't think that Marshall should be playing any rugby this soon after two obvious concussions.

I wouldn't want to be involved in the medical team that pass him and make him available tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭sjwpjw

it would indeed be a shame for sarries to win with their fairly boring style. penalties are definitely too frequent and affect the result too much in rugby.

emmet02 wrote: »
    I don't think that Marshall should be playing any rugby this soon after two obvious concussions.

I wouldn't want to be involved in the medical team that pass him and make him available tbh.

He's had three weeks since Italy. Is that not usually standard?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

bilston wrote: »
    He's had three weeks since Italy. Is that not usually standard?
    Its also standard to have a longer standdown if there are multiple concussions close together. He had one against Italy and another the match before.

Whether they play him this week or not I have confidence in the Ulster to ensure that he is fully fit before playing. After attacking the decision to play Marshall against Italy Ulster can do no less.

Standard after 1 concussion I would have thought.

Standard after 2 concussions so close to each other should be a lot, lot more.

• Advertisement

Well hopefully the medics are making the right call. I assume they are but I understand the concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭MolBee

Well he has passed the required tests. Has it only been three weeks? I agree it doesn't seem like an awful lot after two in quick succession. I would hope and assume though that it's all above board and that the medical team at Ulster are doing their job properly and honestly.

I've read scary things about repeat concussions mind, I suppose whether the 'required tests' are adequate is a different issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

awec wrote: »
    You can spell to some degree, right?

GIMME A U!
    GIMME AN L!
    GIMME AN S!
    GIMME A T!
    GIMME AN E!
    GIMME AN R!
    GIMME AN R!
    GIMME AN R!
    GIMME AN R!
    GIMME AN R!
    GIMME AN R!
    GIMME AN R!
    GIMME AN R!
    GIMME AN R!
    GIMME AN R!
    GIMME AN R!
    GIMME AN R!

What does that spell?

ULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

That concludes today's lesson.

Join in when you know the words

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Standard after 1 concussion I would have thought.

Standard after 2 concussions so close to each other should be a lot, lot more.

I think it's only really important to increase the rest period if the concussion reoccurs after this rest period. Although I'm no doctor. Anything I've been told about concussions has generally been while concussed!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He's had two concussions recently and also had a bad blow to the head resulting in a broken jaw a couple of years ago so, at just turned 22, he has had 3 head injuries. That's too many for comfort. I know he's an important player and all the more so given Paddy Wallace's absence but there has to be some perspective shown here and not the recklessness that I feel was shown by the Irish set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Buer wrote: »
    He's had two concussions recently and also had a bad blow to the head resulting in a broken jaw a couple of years ago so, at just turned 22, he has had 3 head injuries. That's too many for comfort. I know he's an important player and all the more so given Paddy Wallace's absence but there has to be some perspective shown here and not the recklessness that I feel was shown by the Irish set up.

Is it Olding or who else is the "3rd choice etc" 12?

ssaye wrote: »

Olding has been playing well there. This would be a big step up though.

I think it's only really important to increase the rest period if the concussion reoccurs after this rest period. Although I'm no doctor. Anything I've been told about concussions has generally been while concussed!

Marshall's Ireland appearances and dates

24/02/13 - Scotland
    09/03/13 - France
    16/03/13 - Italy
    The 22-year-old sustained a second head trauma within seven days against Italy in Rome on March 16th, following the blow that forced his withdrawal against France in Dublin on March 9th.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/marshall-to-miss-leinster-showdown-1.1339207

So he got a second concussion within 1 week of the first. If 1 week is taken as the very very minimum that anyone should be out with a concussion. (Ignoring the old Grading systems, attribute all as a Grade 3 imo - 3 weeks - http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57574918/new-concussion-guidelines-released-for-athletes-if-in-doubt-sit-it-out/)

New NFL guidelines here http://thesportdigest.com/archive/article/nfl-issues-stricter-guidelines-returning-play-following-concussion

It's been a case of exponentially increasing the time out from the game with concurrent concussions previously. There is no way that I'd be comfortable giving Marshall a clean bill of health at this stage.

The guy's 21, playing a high impact sport, and has had two injuries in quick succession that have seen a meteoric rise in claims and studies in the USA as the effects of them are coming to extreme visibility.

Even if you ignore the second concussion, there's no way he should have been training in the interim week. Compounding that mistake could be disastrous.

Marshall's Ireland appearances and dates

24/02/13 - Scotland
    09/03/13 - France
    16/03/13 - Italy

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/marshall-to-miss-leinster-showdown-1.1339207

So he got a second concussion within 1 week of the first. If 1 week is taken as the very very minimum that anyone should be out with a concussion. (Ignoring the old Grading systems, attribute all as a Grade 3 imo - 3 weeks - http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57574918/new-concussion-guidelines-released-for-athletes-if-in-doubt-sit-it-out/)

New NFL guidelines here http://thesportdigest.com/archive/article/nfl-issues-stricter-guidelines-returning-play-following-concussion

It's been a case of exponentially increasing the time out from the game with concurrent concussions previously. There is no way that I'd be comfortable giving Marshall a clean bill of health at this stage.

The guy's 21, playing a high impact sport, and has had two injuries in quick succession that have seen a meteoric rise in claims and studies in the USA as the effects of them are coming to extreme visibility.

Even if you ignore the second concussion, there's no way he should have been training in the interim week. Compounding that mistake could be disastrous.

Yeah I mean if he definitely had a concussion following the Scotland match then I absolutely agree that he should have been stood down until now.

But I don't know if I want to believe Falvey would be that reckless. These guys are very well aware of what's going on in the USA and the research into CTE. I would really hope they were very confident that Marshall was OK before clearing him for the Italy match.

So I really think the 3 week period is related to the Italy concussion and he should be cleared now. However if this is a second actual concussion then not only should he be stood down, there should be a serious investigation into why he was cleared to play in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

ssaye wrote: »

After Olding you'd probably have Michael Allen who I think is a very underrated player and if at any other province would start a lot of games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

shuffol wrote: »
    After Olding you'd probably have Michael Allen who I think is a very underrated player and if at any other province would start a lot of games.

More of a 13 (and winger too) than a 12. Doesn't quite have the distribution at 12 I think, especially at Ulster where they pick a 2nd 5/8s type 12 a lot of the time (wallace, marshall olding).

Isn't he injured at the moment too.

shuffol wrote: »

I could be wrong but I think when his new contract was announced last week it was said he had played 16 times for Ulster this season. I'd need to check the UR website to make that's right but if true then he's done pretty well this season. I agree with Ciaran that he's a 13 and not a 12.

As for Olding, he's a fantastic young talent, again he looked very good against Leinster, even with Nacewa's big hit on him, I think the difference between Marshall and Olding is probably in defence. Marshall is bordering on D'Arcy and BOD standards in defence while Olding has a bit to go, don't get me wrong he makes his tackles and isn't afraid of the physical stuff, but Marshall will make aggressive tackles on the front foot driving his opponent back and he'll win turnovers as well. That's the difference between the two at the moment.

Actually when you look at the bare facts Marshall has NEVER started a HEC match, extraordinary when you think he's started 3 Six Nations games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I could be wrong but I think when his new contract was announced last week it was said he had played 16 times for Ulster this season. I'd need to check the UR website to make that's right but if true then he's done pretty well this season. I agree with Ciaran that he's a 13 and not a 12.

As for Olding, he's a fantastic young talent, again he looked very good against Leinster, even with Nacewa's big hit on him, I think the difference between Marshall and Olding is probably in defence. Marshall is bordering on D'Arcy and BOD standards in defence while Olding has a bit to go, don't get me wrong he makes his tackles and isn't afraid of the physical stuff, but Marshall will make aggressive tackles on the front foot driving his opponent back and he'll win turnovers as well. That's the difference between the two at the moment.

Actually when you look at the bare facts Marshall has NEVER started a HEC match, extraordinary when you think he's started 3 Six Nations games!

I know Allens more of a 13 but I'm pretty sure that other than Olding there isnt much choice at 12, think he filled in at 12 against Edinburgh when Olding went off and did very well, his pass to release Payne for Trimbles try was top class. He's had a lot of games this season but predominantly on the wing, at another province he'd be starting plenty of games in the center, I'd prefer him to O'Malley tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Saracens bring out the big furry guns for there match against Ulster

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/heineken-cup/saracens-recruit-pair-of-live-wolves-for-team-talk-ahead-of-ulster-29171986.html

What position would you put a wolf in on the team?

flanker maybe, tackle anything that moves.....and kill it

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

LOL, they really are a team of gimmicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm surprised the wolves weren't wearing fez's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I think I'm gonna get sick.

leftleg wrote: »
    Saracens bring out the big furry guns for there match against Ulster

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/heineken-cup/saracens-recruit-pair-of-live-wolves-for-team-talk-ahead-of-ulster-29171986.html

What position would you put a wolf in on the team?

flanker maybe, tackle anything that moves.....and kill it

Hmmmmm

Anyway back in the real world apparently 43,000 tickets have now been sold for Saturday which is a lot more than I was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Hmmmmm

Anyway back in the real world apparently 43,000 tickets have now been sold for Saturday which is a lot more than I was expecting.

Does that 43,000 include the wolves?? will they be in the terrace or VIP seating do you think?? Are the wolves from South Africa as well??

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No amount of wolf touching is going to prepare them for the likes of Nick Williams running at them ball in hand. :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement