Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mini Cut Vlog

• 21-07-2015 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

How's it going guys, just going to start a thread about my current vlog I have going. I'm trying to do a small cut in 3-4 weeks to drop a bit of excess weight. All advice is appreciated and taken on board. Be it advice regarding my form or that of my nutrition or just all around tips.

Anyway, here's the video from today which of sort of the real starting point for nice gym footage:

If you want to follow this thread by all means go ahead and get involved!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

My deadlift form is just way off today. Don't know what it was about. Anybody have any deadlift cues to make note of?

Also my squat was a bit off. Not a good gym day overall!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭deadybai

Whats your weekly workout schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I wouldn't do lunges before deadlifts, your legs will be in bits. I do them straight after squats otherwise my form breaks down.

For cues, I take a good bit of time to setup and stay tight until finished.
    When over the bar initially I take a big breath, get my core tight and keep it that way for every rep. Taking a breath at the top only.

Flex your lats and imagine trying to 'tuck them' into your pockets, this keeps the upper back tight and prevents rounding.
    Pull any 'slack' out of the bar so that my hips don't shoot up before the bar even gets off the ground.

Your negative is a bit slow too, don't be too shy of making noise. Your stance also seems a bit wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

You have some 'buttwink' going on in your squats, which is usually caused by tight hamstrings so I'd try and get them looser and warmed up better before you start squatting. I'd also change out of running shoes for squats and get a flat soled shoe (or even better, a weightlifting shoe if money's not an issue) as running shoes are very bad for squats in my experience.

Even though the angle is poor I can see that your stance is too wide for deadlifts. Your setup is also quite bad and your hips are shooting up before you pull which means you're lifting almost exclusively with your back. There's also a lot of rounding going on there.

For cues, I'd usually get my feet narrow enough to hang my arms straight down by my sides, and aim to have the bar cutting right across the middle of my feet. Then I bend my knees to just before they touch the bar. Then I lower my hips just to where I can grab the bar, and straighten out my back before I pull.

If you still have problems with back-rounding trying to stick your arse out is a cue I found useful when I started deadlifting. If you still can't get it, a snatch grip deadlift might be useful in forcing your back to get straight. There are hundreds of youtube videos explaining proper setups and form aswell, so they're probably better to explain what I just said but whatever.

deadybai wrote: »
    Whats your weekly workout schedule?

Monday - Arms & Shoulders
    Tuesday - Chest & Back
    Wednesday - Legs
    Thursday- Arms & Shoulders
    Friday - Chest & Back
    Saturday - Legs
    Sunday - Off

• Advertisement

Caliden wrote: »
    I wouldn't do lunges before deadlifts, your legs will be in bits. I do them straight after squats otherwise my form breaks down.

For cues, I take a good bit of time to setup and stay tight until finished.
    When over the bar initially I take a big breath, get my core tight and keep it that way for every rep. Taking a breath at the top only.

Flex your lats and imagine trying to 'tuck them' into your pockets, this keeps the upper back tight and prevents rounding.
    Pull any 'slack' out of the bar so that my hips don't shoot up before the bar even gets off the ground.

Your negative is a bit slow too, don't be too shy of making noise. Your stance also seems a bit wide.

God damn deadlift! Y u so difficult. Thanks for the solid advice.

You have some 'buttwink' going on in your squats, which is usually caused by tight hamstrings so I'd try and get them looser and warmed up better before you start squatting. I'd also change out of running shoes for squats and get a flat soled shoe (or even better, a weightlifting shoe if money's not an issue) as running shoes are very bad for squats in my experience.

Even though the angle is poor I can see that your stance is too wide for deadlifts. Your setup is also quite bad and your hips are shooting up before you pull which means you're lifting almost exclusively with your back. There's also a lot of rounding going on there.

For cues, I'd usually get my feet narrow enough to hang my arms straight down by my sides, and aim to have the bar cutting right across the middle of my feet. Then I bend my knees to just before they touch the bar. Then I lower my hips just to where I can grab the bar, and straighten out my back before I pull.

If you still have problems with back-rounding trying to stick your arse out is a cue I found useful when I started deadlifting. If you still can't get it, a snatch grip deadlift might be useful in forcing your back to get straight. There are hundreds of youtube videos explaining proper setups and form aswell, so they're probably better to explain what I just said but whatever.

I get what you mean, going to make a note of this and the other advice and try compile some sort of "deadlift and squat notes" so I know what to look out for and all that. Thanks for that!

With regard my close grip bench press. Is it right? How close is too close and should I be tucking my elbows in more? I think the other exercises are relatively alright. Doing dips at 15 stone ain't easy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

9bred4 wrote: »
    With regard my close grip bench press. Is it right? How close is too close and should I be tucking my elbows in more? I think the other exercises are relatively alright. Doing dips at 15 stone ain't easy!!

Grip looks a bit wide - shoulder width will do. Too close only puts unnecessary stress on your elbows.

Try keeping the elbows tucked more or you lose a little bit of the tricep hit. The bar will touch your chest a bit lower than where it does for normal bench. Your elbows will want to flare if you touch too high up your chest to stop it becoming a tricep extension.

But my 2 cents are worth just that :)

I noticed that if I went to tuck that it hit my chest lower, wasn't sure if that was correct or not! Thanks for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭deadybai

Monday - Arms & Shoulders
    Tuesday - Chest & Back
    Wednesday - Legs
    Thursday- Arms & Shoulders
    Friday - Chest & Back
    Saturday - Legs
    Sunday - Off

And you do rugby training to is it?

deadybai wrote: »
    And you do rugby training to is it?

Indeed. Wednesday also, only once a week for the moment. Gym at 8 in the morning, work, rugby at 7!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1vaSuBjEUY

Again just looking for feedback mostly, particularly the barbell row. My back doesn't look right, felt right at the time though.

Again just looking for feedback mostly, particularly the barbell row. My back doesn't look right, felt right at the time though.

It's a bent over row, so bend over ;)

The more I bend over the more... wrong... it feels? Not sure if wrong is the right word there ha

The more I bend over the more... wrong... it feels? Not sure if wrong is the right word there ha

It's harder to hold your back lower, but try to get close to parallel to the floor and just keep the lower back straight. I usually find starting with a deadlift and stopping halfway up works.

Maybe try something like a pendlay row if you really can't hold your back there while rowing.

Yeah thank God I set up this forum anyway ha, coming in fierce handy with all the advice. Can't wait to bulk ha

Legs day form critique. Have away at me!

Also when I squat, why does the bar be so uneven on my shoulders?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Also when I squat, why does the bar be so uneven on my shoulders?

IT's either off centre, you've some shoulder or pelvic issue, or your grip's all eff'd up.

Plus, this should probably be in the training log forum :)

• Advertisement

We will see which it is!
    Jesus to be honest I didn't even realise there was one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

On deadlifts you need to stop trying to 'squat' the bar. By this I mean you don't have to break parallel when deadlifting which is exactly what you are doing. You stance is also crazy wide, gonna assume it's the same width as your squat stance, wide stance = wide grip= not strongest grip.

And screw Bent over rows, awkward feckers, just hit dumbbell rows instead.

And finally if you are doing a cut you really need to have some before/after pics/videos

Your form's looking better, but you might want to get more of an arch in your bench and squeeze your legs and glutes more to get better leg drive; you'll be able to push more weight that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You are doing more of a Yates row I think. That's fine if that's what you are aiming for, but not so much if trying to bent over row.
    I'm thinking more about having good perception of movement and position (proprioception), rather than being anal about the correct name being used.

Your form's looking better, but you might want to get more of an arch in your bench and squeeze your legs and glutes more to get better leg drive; you'll be able to push more weight that way.

Might try that the next day

Mellor wrote: »
    You are doing more of a Yates row I think. That's fine if that's what you are aiming for, but not so much if trying to bent over row.
    I'm thinking more about having good perception of movement and position (proprioception), rather than being anal about the correct name being used.

So I'm still not bending far enough? Christ! It feels like I'm bending too far when doing it. Must bend more so next time

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

So I'm still not bending far enough? Christ! It feels like I'm bending too far when doing it. Must bend more so next time

When I do it my back is parallel to the floor.
    Which means by shoulders are at hip level, and the weight lightly touches the ground each rep

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Ed Coan shows his technique for the bent over row.
    Might suit you, might not. He does say not to bend over too far.

https://youtu.be/-febRoO0gG0?t=167

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Before you do it, hinge forward until the bar is at knee level. The bar is 6" shy of that.

Have a gander at this for an idea

Advertisement