Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What to get?

Options
  • 09-04-2011 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

First baby due in July and want to start getting things shortly. Money is tight....

There were some really great threads on here a while ago with suggestions and lists about what to get for the baby... but I did a search and can't seem to find them right now.

We have a pram travel system and cot in mind, but how much clothes, bedding etc do we need? Is there anything big Im missing? Space is at a premium so we wont be doing a nursery room or anything. I hope to breastfeed but guess I will need a fallback plan as it seems to not work out for so many women.

It seems like there is so much you can get - just have no idea how much of it is really necessary!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Best advice I can give is don't buy a travel system. Borrow one and just buy a buggy at 6 months.

I had offers left right and center and they were all immaculate. If you drive you'll want the smallest buggy possible for the car. One they lies back flat is the only real essential thing.

I'd just buy a cot and borrow a moses basket, you'll only use it for a little while. But buy your own mattress for anything the baby will sleep in.

Someone will give you a baby bath, everybody seems to have a redundant one. Its only for 6 months.

Pick a car seat and save up and buy one look at the Britax First Class as it is suitable from birth to 4 years!

I bought €20 of white suits and vests in Dunnes, mits hats etc and that was it everything else was presents and bags of clothes from family I haven't seen in years!

All we bought was buggy, car seat and clothes for hospital. €220 total!

The main things I had to get were in Boots so if anyone offers vouchers make sure they are for a chemist, we were buying calpol, galvascon, Vit d drops, nasal asperators, olbis oil, bonjella.... all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I'd second that about not buying much clothes, i got presents off people my parents work with. Had so much clothes even a few of the same outfits so brought a lot of it back to shops and changed for bigger sizes etc. I'd just make sure you have enough vest for the hosp and depending on how much washing your planning to do. I always buy about 14 vests in each size cause i dont put on washing machine every night and i always like to have extra in case baby gets sick or explosive nappies.

Also dont stock up to much on nappies, wipes as some babies are allergic to certain brands and some dont suit some babies. Also dont buy too many toiletries for baby as they might not suit brand and also you use very little my little girl is 1 and i still haven't finished a full bottle of shampoo were only half way through it.

If you want to buy your own buggy, i've heard a lot of good reports about the maclaren xlr. Its dear but it can be used from birth and most mothers usually switch to a stroller after 6 months. I would second buying a carseat from 0-4 years I never really used mine outside of car because I always wanted baby to lie flat when we were out with buggy.

Regarding bedding it all depends I have 4 sheets for cot and this was handy when she got the vomiting bug but I could manage with 2 really but i think they were sold in double packs in mothercare and are usually on a buy 1 get second half price.

Also mothercare use to have information evening where you get 10% discount card at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

A baby carrier, one that changes into the different styles as the baby gets bigger. This is a godsend when you want to potter around without wanting to lug a big buggy around! and kids do like to hand off the parent alot so they can see what your seeing. taking them to the beach,walks,park nip to the shop etc.

Baby bouncer, you can get all types that vibrate - swing - play your ipod but they often have special deals on them so you can pick up a bargain in smyths or mothercare.

If breastfeeding is a success or fails then a steriliser is a must, also the breastpump and bottles, milk bags if you want to express and store for when and if your away from baby at any stage or if hubby wants to take baby out and you won't be there. A bottle warmer and if you have to go onto formula milk then a thermal flask which you can put hot water in to make bottles on the go and also storage containers for keeping the formula in.

Buy as much or little regarding clothing, I have so many babygrows and vests as they spend alot of their first weeks in them. I bought two all in one's for when we leave hospital, they are cosy and warm and easy to get out of and back in if needed to change baby. Then there's the outfits and shoes.. if you don't want to buy that much then buy a few outfits then you can always go shopping for more when you need them.

Baby monitor, we bought the angelcare with movement and sound as it is piece of mind knowing that all is well with the baby at night.

A playmat for brain stimulation and parent-baby play.

A nappy disposer, all them dirty nappies in hot july weather is gona honk your house out if put into a normal bin! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I found the bottle warmer dreadful, i used it twice and then just gave up its not necessary esp if your stuck for space a pot with hot water did it nearly as quick. Also if you do decide to bottle feed try to get your baby to drink bottles at room temp as its a lot handier when your out and about not having to worry about getting bottles heated as some places have refused to do it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 24 corrr

FOR BABY:
    The most important thing to buy is the carseat...it's recommended that you get a new one (as you can't be sure of the treatment of a secondhand one, accidents/improper use etc).

After that, vests, onesies, nappies, cotton wool (the cotton wool wipes are the handiest - can be bought in Boots for €3.49, or cheaper in Dunnes). You will probably get given a new momma package in hospital, OR you can find these online - new mum sites (EU mom, huggies, pampers etc) will send you samples of their stuff.

Get a cot and borrow (or search on Adverts.ie) a moses basket, as mentioned above new mattresses for your little one are recommended for comfort and piece of mind. And blankets, we only bought two small aerated ones (we were given three others) until our little guy moved to the cot, then we bought a bigger aerated one.

A baby rocker seat is great as little one will be able to watch you as you're going about your business at home.

After that, a suitable mat (non-shed) for floor play.

It's also true that you'll probably be given a baby bath, after a time I just bathed our little man with me and this gave dad plenty of bonding time with the little man.

If space is limited in your home you won't need a baby monitor, you'll hear the little one.

FOR YOU:
    Maternity pads, breast pads (you will leak for the first few days whether you're breastfeeding or not), tea tree oil (for baths postpartum - I needed this, hopefully you won't), bigger PJS, something to give birth in (a large t-shirt is fine - you may prefer to give birth in a hospital gown...or naked...personal choice I guess).

Regarding feeding, as you plan to breastfeed: two decent breastfeeding bras (it's best to wait til after the birth to buy these because you CANNOT predict how big your b**bs will get), n*pple cream, button up tops if you don't already have some and some stretchy vests for underneath. Breastfed babies dribble less than formula fed ones so again, don't go mad buying cute little bibs (you'll get some given anyway) but perhaps you could buy some muslin squares (my mum used to drape these over her shoulder as she was feeding us for extra privacy and mopping up the little spills that may occur - I think I got some in M*thercare, 5 in a pack for under €10).
    For the fallback plan: most baby bottle companies (Avent, Tommee Tippee etc.) do 'starter' packs which have everything you need (for anywhere between €30 and €60), bottles, steriliser, teats...most of these are suitable for both hot (microwave) and cold (Milton) sterilisation.

You WILL get given SO MUCH stuff after the birth, stuff you may never use so don't go mad buying stuff, perhaps it'd be best to get a money box and top it up every time you fancy buying something, or buy yourself a M*thercare/Boots voucher every time you feel the urge to spend.

That's all I can think of off hand, I'll add more should I think of it.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Hi, heres a list that someone sent me when i was having a panic attack about not knowing what i needed to buy!! u will notice there is alot on it but thats because some of the stuff optional;

Pram
    car seat-if you need one or arent getting a travel system
    cot
    moses basket
    steriliser
    bottles
    bottle teats
    pram blanket
    baby monitor
    cot/moses basket blanket
    cot/moses basket sheets
    cot bumper
    changing mat
    baby bath or bath support if using own bath
    2 x bath towels
    formula
    nappies
    cotton wool
    6-8 sleepsuits
    6-8 vests
    2xcardigans
    2xhats
    2xscratch mits
    4-6 bibs
    3-4 outfits for baby
    1-2 booties
    2-4 socks
    thermometer
    nail clippers
    baby swing/bouncing chair
    swaddle blanket
    feeding support pillow
    cot mobile
    pram parasol (best to get a uv one)
    bottle/food warmer
    nappy disposal system
    nappy bags
    baby wipes
    breast pump
    johnsons baby wash

obviously some of this stuff is optional, it just depends on your presonal preference. Make sure you do shop around as there are so many sales on and good deals to be had. for example i bought a bottle warmer an i was going to get an avent one which was around 45ueuro, but mothercares own brand one was only 23uro so it just goes to show if you shop around you will get variation on prices.

and for you for the hospital and after the birth :

maternity sanitary pads
    breast pads
    disposable underwear
    dark coloured nightdress
    dark coloured pyjamas
    dark coloured bath towel
    flip flops for shower

Good luck with everything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

IMO this is all you really NEED, sure there are lots of extras if you want but it's really a personal choice as to what you want/can afford! Be sure to shop around and look online at second hand things, there are some great bargains to be had and you can work all of this around to suit your own budget!!

I have an almost 6month old so still fairly fresh in my mind!

Cot/Cot Bed - we didn't bother buying a crib or moses basket, baby is fine in a cot bed from birth up to 3 or 4! If you do get an offer of a moses basket they can be handy for the sitting room when they're tiny and sleep alot!

Car Seat (if you have a car) - you can get these from stage 0-4 rather than 0+ and having to buy another at 9months.

BabyCarrier/Sling/Travel System/Pushchair - Any combination or one of those would do, as said above most people get a regular stroller/pushchair around 7/8 months anyway.

Bouncer/swing chair - not essential but I really found our bouncer great when I wanted to get a rest/grab some lunch/do housework or whatever.

Bedding & Towelling - 2 Cot Sheets, 2 Flat Sheets, 4 Cellular Blankets, One Fleece Blanket, 2 Soft Baby Towels, 2 Soft Face Cloths, LOTS of muslin squares - these are so so so handy!

Clothes - vests x10, babygro x 10, bibs x 10, scratch mittens x 2, cardi x 2, hats x 2, snowsuit x 1 (I got these in 0-3 months and just 3 vests and 3 babygros in newborn for the hospital, but some babies are too big for newborn!)

Feeding- Steraliser, bottles x6, formula (if bottle feeding) and if Breast feeding (optional) are breast pump, milk storage bags/pots, bottles and steriliser if you want to express.

Bathing & Other - natural sponge x2, nail clippers, thermometer, nasal bulb, cotton wool pads/balls, nappies, baby bath/shampoo for after the first few weeks. (If you have a bath I wouldn't bother buying a separate baby bath, even the sink would do!)

Edit to add: Playmat - these are great to encourage baby to reach out, looking at various colours etc. and for starting to roll around when that bit older!

Advertisement