Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

left my bike in work over w end,underground car park in Grand Canal Square area. Thought it would be safe enough,security all weekend and need to swipe past two gates to get in. Locked bikes front wheel. Came in on Monday to find just wheel and lock remaining,gutted as I thought bike was robbed. Said I would talk to security. Luckily for me Security disrupted them during Sunday night when they were attempting to steal my bike and they scattered leaving my bike behind. Security had it stored safely in locked room. Appartently it was 3 lads and they have pretty good CCTV images so just be wary when leaving bikes in underground car parks
    I hope they handed the footage to the Gardai

Images of those three scumbags wouldn't go on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

left my bike in work over w end,underground car park in Grand Canal Square area. Thought it would be safe enough,security all weekend and need to swipe past two gates to get in. Locked bikes front wheel. Came in on Monday to find just wheel and lock remaining,gutted as I thought bike was robbed. Said I would talk to security. Luckily for me Security disrupted them during Sunday night when they were attempting to steal my bike and they scattered leaving my bike behind. Security had it stored safely in locked room. Appartently it was 3 lads and they have pretty good CCTV images so just be wary when leaving bikes in underground car parks

You only locked the front wheel???? :confused:

No where is safe my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭p15574

Zyzz wrote: »
    You only locked the front wheel???? :confused:

No where is safe my friend.

I can understand that - my work only has those old-fashioned crappy bike racks that fit a portion of the front wheel - there's no way to lock the frame. There is so much pressure for space too that you wouldn't get away with locking it to anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭CyCaboose

p15574 wrote: »
    I can understand that - my work only has those old-fashioned crappy bike racks that fit a portion of the front wheel - there's no way to lock the frame. There is so much pressure for space too that you wouldn't get away with locking it to anything else.

Yeh I can understand that. I read before that in those circumstances it is better to lock the back wheel, so put it in backwards - It costs more to replace the rear wheel than the front-wheel, and it's probably trickier to do quickly and quietly with the chain etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭buffalo

Stolen tonight in Wexford. It was a Cannondale Six (bare carbon), Full Dura-Ace components apart form the chainset that was Cannondale. It had Mavic Krysrium Sl wheels and integrated carbon handlebars.

Keep an eye out there for me please, cheers!

232357.jpg

232359.jpg

232360.jpg

232361.jpg

232362.jpg

PS sorry for the huge pics, but better too big than too little for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Jesus, that breaks my heart. Hope you get it back intact and unharmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

^^^^ Nicked from where? I can only assume you didn't leave this hanging around outside spar with a cheap cable lock around the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

happytramp wrote: »
    ^^^^ Nicked from where? I can only assume you didn't leave this hanging around outside spar with a cheap cable lock around the wheel.

Burglary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 neil_dm

Had my bike stolen from the (secure) bike shed at my apartment on Upper Grand Canal Street, they used a portable angle grinder to cut through the padlock on the door and then cut through my kryptonite Evolution lock. Its fairly unique bike, a black hybrid Marin Novato 29er that I shipped over with me from Canada. I didn't have content insurance and my building is not covering. If anyone see's it around please let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭CyCaboose

neil_dm wrote: »
    Had my bike stolen from the (secure) bike shed at my apartment on Upper Grand Canal Street, they used a portable angle grinder to cut through the padlock on the door and then cut through my kryptonite Evolution lock. Its fairly unique bike, a black hybrid Marin Novato 29er that I shipped over with me from Canada. I didn't have content insurance and my building is not covering. If anyone see's it around please let me know.

Wow, they cut through the bike shed and the lock... they were determined, that sucks.

I work on Grand Canal Street, i'll keep an eye out.

Surprised the apartment management company won't cover this considering they provide the locked bike sheds..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 neil_dm

CyCaboose wrote: »
    Wow, they cut through the bike shed and the lock... they were determined, that sucks.

I work on Grand Canal Street, i'll keep an eye out.

Surprised the apartment management company won't cover this considering they provide the locked bike sheds..

Thanks!, yeah they were very determined and they apparently did it saturday in the middle of the day. I'm following up with Kryptonite as i registered the lock with them, but you have to jump through a load of hoops including sending them the entire lock back..

By the way, my bike had a drink carrier and rear mudguard, which is not in the stock pic attached.

<snip>

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Please do not name "operations", locations or anything else that could be used to identify potential or alleged bike thieves. If you have any suspicions go to the Guards - do not post details here

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

I was hoping I would never had to post in this thread, but still here I am trying to find a shoulder to cry on.
    Bike was a felt q220 like this one with full mudguards and lights set with a distinctive set of PVC tape in the forks forming the Sampdoria flag

it@samp.gif

49306_2_SuperSize.jpg

I can't really get over the fact that:

1) I had an Abus U-lock (I guess nothing is really safe anymore)
    2) The fore mentioned lock was badly twisted and ripped suggesting the use of a jack
    3) It was stolen from the bicycle rack in Thomas street (the one few meters away from Lidl) it was 6PM with people in the bus stop (literally 3 meters away from the rack), other passing by others smoking outside the pub in the corner.
    4) Massey Brothers Funeral Home have full cctv footage of the robbery, it will be handed over to the police

How the hell is possible that people see a couple of scumbags with a jack forcing a lock and not a single one say anything or even call the garda?

Seriously what kind of society is this?

And the parents of these scumbags: do they not say anything when they see their child with a brand new bike? If you walk down Bridgefoot Street you only see small kids riding bikes twice bigger then them: the police ever questioned the source of these bikes?

Oh yeah they are only kids, oh yeah don't mind them they are scumbags, well TBH I don't have any pity for them and for their parents, this country is slowly declining and part of the blame goes to these leechers sucking every possible available resource from hard working people.

End of rant, I won't get my bike back I only hope to get everybody warned that no lock or place is really safe, and think twice before stopping with your bike in the local shop to buy milk on the way home.

Here a couple of picks of the lock:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ls70yd.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/zv0np.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

^^ That's pretty crap.

Which model of Abus lock was it? Looks quite thin and long, which is generally a bad combination.

Problem with shorter locks is that they don't have much reach, but the key to successful locking is to completely fill the shackle with wheel/frame so there's no space to get a jack in.

Of course they might have just used your frame as a big lever.

Lumen wrote: »
    ^^ That's pretty crap.

Which model of Abus lock was it? Looks quite thin and long, which is generally a bad combination.

Problem with shorter locks is that they don't have much reach, but the key to successful locking is to completely fill the shackle with wheel/frame so there's no space to get a jack in.

Of course they might have just used your frame as a big lever.

I know what you mean but what am I supposed to get? At the rate these scumbag are upgrading their tools you won't be safe even with a 10cm tick lock: I urge everybody to report any suspicious movement immediately, FFS it was 6PM with people at the bus stop and other passing by! :mad:

Anything over a 10 rating.

Kryptonite New York.

Will cost you €80 to €100.

My Niece bought the Kryptolok Series 2 which would be a similar 6 rating to your lock for €50.

I warned her that her bike would be swiped from Smithfield or Trinity Collage within two weeks if she did not get the New York, she got one the next day, she now uses the two locks and included cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I've two evolution minis. I've locked the beater on tara street for 30 odd hours and it was still there.

BX 19 wrote: »
    I've two evolution minis. I've locked the beater on tara street for 30 odd hours and it was still there.

Me too I've always locked my bike anywhere in town and it was still there...until yesterday
    Anything over a 10 rating.

Kryptonite New York.

Will cost you €80 to €100.

My Niece bought the Kryptolok Series 2 which would be a similar 6 rating to your lock for €50.

I warned her that her bike would be swiped from Smithfield or Trinity Collage within two weeks if she did not get the New York, she got one the next day, she now uses the two locks and included cable.

You are missing the point here: I can buy 10 new york locks, but if the scumbags show up with an angle grinder and nobody say anything while they are cutting through them, it will be exactly the same as having just a 2 euro cable lock

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

darconio wrote: »
    Me too I've always locked my bike anywhere in town and it was still there...until yesterday

You are missing the point here: I can buy 10 new york locks, but if the scumbags show up with an angle grinder and nobody say anything while they are cutting through them, it will be exactly the same as having just a 2 euro cable lock
    The longer they think it will take them though, the more likely they are to move onto someone else's bike

Obviously there's no guarantee, and it just moves the problem onto someone else but generally making your bike look more secure will help put them off even attempting to steal it.

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    The longer they think it will take them though, the more likely they are to move onto someone else's bike

Obviously there's no guarantee, and it just moves the problem onto someone else but generally making your bike look more secure will help put them off even attempting to steal it.

That's not the point Beasty.
    I know that probably if I had 3 locks placed on my bike they would have moved to next available one, until everybody buys 3 locks and we will be here discussing the next bike nicked having 3 locks saying "Oh you should have bought 5 locks", "oh you better using titanium locks".
    When I had a cable lock I moved to a u-lock, I had a kriptonyte but was better an abus, I now will move to a double lock until these a$$hole upgrade their tools and I will need to carry around an extra 5KG of junk just to lock my bike.
    if they went through a lock, undisturbed, in the main street at 6 PM with lot of people around them, they can go through anything.

You simply don't lock your bike anywhere in an area where an angle grinder can be used or if you do have it directly in front of CCTV. These things are very noisy and draw attention. If i am leaving my Motorbike at Dublin Airport over a period there a certain area I leave my bike in an obviously monitored area.

It I need to leave a bike locked in the city center for a period of time I take a hack or "drinking bike", The New York lock is worth probably twice as much as this bike, the only thing valuable on it are the Schwalbe Marathons and a Led Lenser lamp bracket.

You simply don't lock your bike anywhere in an area where an angle grinder can be used or if you do have it directly in front of CCTV. These things are very noisy and draw attention. If i am leaving my Motorbike at Dublin Airport over a period there a certain area I leave my bike in an obviously monitored area.
    2) The fore mentioned lock was badly twisted and ripped suggesting the use of a jack
    3) It was stolen from the bicycle rack in Thomas street (the one few meters away from Lidl) it was 6PM with people in the bus stop (literally 3 meters away from the rack), other passing by others smoking outside the pub in the corner.
    4) Massey Brothers Funeral Home have full cctv footage of the robbery, it will be handed over to the police

I think the above answer the question: the accident draw enough attention but nobody intervened in any way
    It I need to leave a bike locked in the city center for a period of time I take a hack or "drinking bike", The New York lock is worth probably twice as much as this bike, the only thing valuable on it are the Schwalbe Marathons and a Led Lenser lamp bracket.

I cycle to work.
    On the way back I stop for 10 minutes to buy milk.

Now you would agree with the fact that:
    1) it wasn't a long time
    2) I don't have room at home to have a spare "drinking" bike
    3) What's the point of buying a good bike if you can't use it? Would you buy a Ferrari and then go around with a Zaz because you are afraid it would get nicked?

We can discuss for hours about what would have been better and I didn't even want to post the accident in here (I already bought another bike as I need to cycle to work), I am simply disappointed by the fact that people witnessing the fact didn't attempt in any way to prevent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Throw this or something similar around the crankset. If the bike is moved/disturbed the alarm goes for 10-15 seconds then re-arms, any type of lock removal tool is most definitely going to cause movement..

..if you were to rob a car and the alarm went off..would you stay or run away?

This lock also helps by preventing the crankset from turning ie. no pedalling, the only way to render the bike useful again is to remove the whole crankset and put a new one on.

Of course we could discuss this till the next blue moon but it is all about deferring the thief to the next bike (as harsh as that sounds)

I think the above answer the question: the accident draw enough attention but nobody intervened in any way

I cycle to work.
    On the way back I stop for 10 minutes to buy milk.

Now you would agree with the fact that:
    1) it wasn't a long time
    2) I don't have room at home to have a spare "drinking" bike
    3) What's the point of buying a good bike if you can't use it? Would you buy a Ferrari and then go around with a Zaz because you are afraid it would get nicked?

We can discuss for hours about what would have been better and I didn't even want to post the accident in here (I already bought another bike as I need to cycle to work), I am simply disappointed by the fact that people witnessing the fact didn't attempt in any way to prevent it.
    Would you habitually stop off in the same shop every evening at the same time?

Some of these thieves act in the same way as salt water crocodiles, they will lurk about casing the habits and movements of individuals and suddenly make the pounce at at the right opportunity when least expected. They would have an eye for a good bike. I had a mate that had a Fireblade motorbike swiped from a shed in his back garden, they would have been casing his movements.

If im out with my good bike and need something in the local shop I will bring the bike in with me and ask counter staff to keep an eye on it. I never had a problem with this. I keep the hack locked to front yard railings and wouldn't be too worried about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Rather than arguing over how people might not have had their bikes stolen, would it not be better for us to take some action against bicycle robbery?
    • Could we go in a body to the Gardaí, with much publicity, and give journalists print-offs of this thread?
    • Could we advertise in the newspapers asking people to surround bicycle thieves and call others to do so and take their photos when they see them in action?
    • Could we go on anti-theft bicycle-riding demonstrations demanding action on the problem of bicycle theft?
    • Could we demand of the Minister for Justice that the dishonest practice of excluding bicycle thefts from annual robbery statistics be ended?
    • Could we post on other threads on boards.ie asking people to act on bicycle thefts?
    • Could we make a boards.ie T-shirt with "End bicycle thefts now"?
    • Could we publicise the financial cost of bicycle thefts?
    • Could we persuade The Irish Times to do a weekly portrait of a cyclist who's had a bike stolen, and the bike?

Any other ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Rather than arguing over how people might not have had their bikes stolen, would it not be better for us to take some action against bicycle robbery?
    • Could we demand of the Minister for Justice that the dishonest practice of excluding bicycle thefts from annual robbery statistics be ended?

Is this true? That's a very poor reflection of society if bike thefts are viewed as not warranting inclusion in the stats. People's possessions, mode of transport, and often pride and joy simply ignored? Shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Is this true? That's a very poor reflection of society if bike thefts are viewed as not warranting inclusion in the stats. People's possessions, mode of transport, and often pride and joy simply ignored? Shameful.

I'm not sure about now, but once upon a time bikes and cars weren't immediately recorded as stolen on the stats. They were subject of "unauthorised taking" and the legal system fumbled along in the expectation that the nice people who took them would return them when they were finished doing whatever it was required them to borrow in the first place.

Any other ideas?
    What needs to be done is a name and shame policy for those caught and convicted in court. They should have their name and face posted on a bike thief thread in this forum, in newspapers and flyers in bike shops and across the city etc.

It would not take much to set up a couple of traps across the city in well known areas where bikes go missing.

Bicycle GPS / GSM Tracking Device for £115.00 along with a hidden cam on the bike itself and the area where the bike is locked.

Dublin Bikes have them fitted and can locate them within 15 feet if they go AWAL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

What will work, though (I think) is not so much targeting the thieves as targeting the general population, to raise the profile of this type of theft and make it completely unacceptable.

Advertisement