Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

belcarra wrote: »
    "I'll just run my best and set a PB (42'07) and then use the time to target a sub 40 later in the summer."

Gotta love the confidence!! And no doubt you'll smash it too!

In Fairness the 10k PB is a sitting duck. Haven't ran one in about a year and almost beat it in February during a 10 mile race. My target has been sub 40 for dunshaughlin , but I don't think I'm in that shape yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

menoscemo wrote: »
    None at all, I'll maybe just do the 10 miler instead. I'll probably leave it to waterford in december. I have free entries for midlands half on 1st august if you are interested (see pacers forum).

Cheers yeah i'll keep that in mind. Following the krusty route from last year i see. I'll be doing frank duffy at 100-102% of MP (67'00-68'20), one of those 5 workouts i posted a few weeks ago. You'd want to be ahead of me there i'd say if sub 3'15 is on the cards for Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

You might be closer to a sub 40 than you think. If you are doing less miles in total and more speedwork than before, its there if you want it all going well.

For some of us, less training makes them faster. You could try out the theory for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

chinguetti wrote: »

For some of us, secret training that nobody finds out about cause i have no log less training makes them faster.

:D:p:D

Don't do secret training. I did 3.6 miles last night and 2 miles on Sunday.

I could be just a natural you know:p

• Advertisement

For some of us, less training makes them faster.

:rolleyes: For most of us, me included, less training makes them fatter, not faster.

The weekend was pretty much a write off, with hundreds of pints drank. I did get a bit of hill running/cross training in on saturday afternoon in the form of a 3 hour game of laser tag in a forest in the cooley mountains. Despite the many pints I was very good diet wise. No Junk food and no late night chippers, so I am expecting a decent loss on the scales tomorrow despite only 23 miles last week. I have had no crisps, chocolate, ice cream or fizzy drinks for a whole week now which is quite something for me..

Tonight: 10k in 49 minutes (7'56 pace, 146 av HR). Decent clip tonight. If an MP of 7'15 is going to be possible, I need to be doing my aerobic runs around 8 min/mile and it should be easy. Tonights HR has me well inside the aerobic zone, so I am quite pleased with that.

WTD 1 runs 6.2 miles

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|15/20|103
    Total|137/171|1193.3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

The weekend was pretty much a write off, with hundreds of pints drank.

I wouldn't have believed that statement if I hadn't been in Barcelona;) Fair play for staying of th junk food though. All the best for Dunshaughlin.

Macanri wrote: »
    I wouldn't have believed that statement if I hadn't been in Barcelona;) Fair play for staying of th junk food though. All the best for Dunshaughlin.

:D Well done on your 5k PB at the weekend Mac.

After last weeks 12 x 400m tonights track session was a taper session ahead of the race at the weekend.

1 mile warm up @ 7'58 pace followed by 6 x 400m (target pace 82.5 sec) with 400m jog recoveries. The reps went: 82, 83, 83, 84, 79, 83. My second last one always seems to be the fastest :rolleyes:. 1 mile warm down @8'52 pace.

4.7 miles total.

WTD 2 runs 10.9 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|16/21|107.7
    Total|138/172|1198

7.4 miles very slowly (9'15 pace). Just let the legs dictate the pace and ran without thinking and this was the result.....did a lap of marlay and then decided to hit the streets for 5 miles. I didn't realise most of the paths round Ballinteer are concrete :mad: the joints did not appreciate that. Longer run than usual, I am trying to get the miles back up ahead of Marathon training.

WTD 3 runs 18.3 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|17/22|115.1
    Total|139/173|1205.4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I didn't realise most of the paths round Ballinteer are concrete :mad: the joints did not appreciate that.

At your age you should be looking after your knees, you'll miss them when they're gone :P

Mr Slow wrote: »
    At your age you should be looking after your knees, you'll miss them when they're gone :P

You are still older than me :pac:

You are still older than me :pac:

Yes but I look like a mere child!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Good luck Sat evening, looking forward to the sub 40, pb smashing report ;)

ronnie085 wrote: »
    Good luck Sat evening, looking forward to the sub 40, pb smashing report ;)

PB Smashing, sure. Sub 40, not so sure...

6.9 tonight @ 8'46 av Met up with woddle, gerard and ecoli mid run for a snoop around the facitilities at Tallaght AC. I'm considering joining now as I met a nice group targetting similar times to me in Marathons this autumn, I'll probably pop along on Monday for a jog with them...

WTD 4 runs 25.2 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|18/23|122
    Total|149/174|1212.3

Well that's it...Meno's joined a club!

Well that's it...Meno's joined a club!

Don't worry, I'll still have time for you guys on the weekend runs, and I haven't joined yet ;)

You say that now.

It'll be all 'In the club we do x,y and z' and 'you should join a club'. You'll be almost as bad as that Ray fella.:P:pac:

You say that now.

It'll be all 'In the club we do x,y and z' and 'you should join a club'. You'll be almost as bad as that Ray fella.:P:pac:

I have to say, my main concern is following Ray's example :p

I have to say, my main concern is following Ray's example :p

I try myself but alas I'm resigned to the fact that I'm mentally strong enough to train myself and no matter how hard I try, I can't just follow others like a sheep.:eek::pac::P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Isnt it mad the different tangents our training took after conn
    100k and 10k.;)

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Isnt it mad the different tangents our training took after conn
    100k and 10k.;)

I'll be back to the ultras in the winter :D

But what if the club wants you to run a race when you have a lsr of 22 miles to do for the ultra that you've targeted?

But what if the club wants you to run a race when you have a lsr of 22 miles to do for the ultra that you've targeted?

17 mile warm up?

**** the club I say:-)

I'm considering joining now as I met a nice group targetting similar times to me in Marathons this autumn, I'll probably pop along on Monday for a jog with them...
    Pffff that's what you get for joining a club, Splitter!

Quoted from Raycun's log :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Good luck this evening. Curious to see how you get on.

I wasn't really super confident about this race. Sub 40 had been the goal but the truth is that my training has been very laxed this last few months, and my 5k race a few weeks ago hadn't gone to plan. I went out tonight with sub 40 'in mind' but not really a goal. I knew the first half of the course was easier so said I'd keep a sub 40 pace for the first half and see if I had enough in the tank......

I got a lift with woddle. jogged a few miles up to meet his car at 6pm feeling nervous enough.... we made it out in good time which meant a lot of standing about before the race. Conditions weren't exactly ideal. a strong wind and unusually high temperatures; still I like running in warm weather so no excuse. The gun went off and I settled into a nice pace. Found myself going a quick 6'0x pace for most of the first mile (fast and downhill) so consciously pulled it back. went through mile 1 in 6'17. Eased back the second mile and tried to look for groups of people running my pace. any time I let the mind slip I went slower- generally people were coming back to me so I had to concentrate on groups moving at a consistent pace. Mile 2 - 6'26. Mile 3 was slightly uphill. I was passing loads but my pace was dropping. I had to dig a bit. 6'38. Mile 4 and I had a good run, 6'28 I was still passing people. I was 3 seconds up on sub 40 at the 6k marker but I knew the 'hill' was coming and the sub 40 was gone. I was feeling too tired. We hit the hill at 7k and it was a struggle. Mile 5 6'53 :rolleyes:. Surprisingly no-one passed me here despite the drop in pace.... Mile 6 I was hoping to pick it up but nothing is happening. Mentally I am thinking that sub 40 is gone and sub 41 is in the bag so There is nothing to run for. Mile 6 -6'38 and .2 at 6'35 pace for 10k in 40.44
    PB BY 1 Min 21sec, so I am not disappointed at all really. decnt progress on last year.

Total for the day : 10 miles

WTD 5 runs 35.2 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|19/24|132
    Total|150/175|1222.3

was talking to ken the other day and i told him you were good for just under 41 mins. Going from the 5k time and a bit of a hill at the end i thought it was just beyond you this time. Smash it next time no probs:D

Edit, just saw your garmin stats. Where is thr hill:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on the PB. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement