Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Boards Irish Top 25

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Listening to it now. Another enjoyable show I must say

Aboy the Bruiser

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Justin Ternet

Looking at the list now more than half the wrestlers in the top 20 trained at the fight factory.Delighted with that result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Could someone post a link to the podcast please?

Edit: Nevermind!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Number 30

Carl "Shooter" O'Rourke

Carl has been abit of a controversal entry to the Irish Top 30, due to him leaving the scene. But Carl has been such a fine wrestler that it would be a shame to not recognise that. Not only has he done well in Ireland, but he has traveled abroad to wrestler for other companies and has put on great showings with fellow Irish men Fergal Devitt and Paddy Marrow.

As one voter commented, Carl is the “most talented individual to never make a proper go of it. Shame, because he could have been something special.” With that in mind, it's fitting to open up the first ever list of Irelands finest wrestlers with Carls name.

Number 29

JDP

A regular for Pro Wrestling Ulster, JDP finds himself breaking into the top 30. The master of the J-D-T, JDP is a former Pro Wrestling Ulster Title Champion and has been a joy to watch in the ring.

JDP has been with the company since day and became a great spokeman for the company. JDPs rise through the company has been a joy to watch as a fan, and if everyone had the same level of passion that JDP has for Irish wrestling, it would only spell good things for the countries wrestling scene, both north and south of the border.

• Advertisement

Number 28

Danny "The Pain" Deans

Danny has become the man with the most exposure in Dublin Championship Wrestling from the companies very first show this year. Danny has been desribed as an Irish version of Bam Bam Bigelow, and his big-man style is one of the finest in the country.

But Danny was known before his time with DCW and was involved in The Fight Factory Pro Wrestling. Not only that but Danny was once a major heel. But now Danny looks his most comfortable with the fans getting behind him. He is currently the subject of a story line with Ger Murphy and Dave Power trying to ruin him, and it has shown a side of Danny not seen before.

Number 27

Irish Dragon
    Working as a masked wrestler always has its pros and cons. There is so much expected from you in terms of what style you wrestle and how you present yourself that it can be very easy to fail in the role. This, however, doesn't apply to Irish Dragon.

Irish Dragon has been a staple of the Irish Wrestling scene for years now and has been trained by one of the countries finest in The Ballymun Bruiser. It's fitting then at DCWs debut show these two went up against each other and in some critics fans stole the show. Dragon brings a great high-flying style and is very easy to get behind, making him an invaluable babyface for any roster.

While some voters feel that Dragon should be higher on the list, he has been performing at arguably his best since he began. If he keeps this up he could find himself being even higher on this list next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 B Cool

Whens the rest of the results being posted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

Where's the feedback fellas? People were twitching beforehand, now the results have started, I'd have expected some conversation....

Good to see some variety already, including representation from here up North.
    I would have said I was against those wrestlers being not in the picture anymore being included, but I guess coming in at the bottom end doesn't make much difference, and is a nice nod to Carl O'Rourke's efforts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 XYZ GUY

a good start to the top 30. i look forward to seeing the rest.

• Advertisement

Number 26

Wayne Daly
    Mullingars own "Country Boy", Wayne Daly, has made quite the name for himself in IWW. Daly has been involved since 2006 and has hit home with his midlands-rich gimmick.

Some would think that a farmer character would be career suicide in the Irish wrestling scene, hard to avoid be cringe-worthy. But Daly has pulled his gimmick off so well that it works perfectly.

Daly has proven himself to be a capable wrestler in both singles and tag-team competiton, having great matches over the years teaming with Captain Rooney and having contests against fellow Irish Top 30 entrants Vic Viper and Mandrake. Daly may have been away for the last few IWW tours, but hopefully 2011 will see his return.

Number 25

Lycan
    Easily the scariest man to meet in DCW, Lycan has been making a huge impression on fans since the first show. Lycans no nonsence style makes him stand out from the crowd; his height also helps.

Lycan towers over everyone else he stands in front of, combined with his long hair and beard makes a very terrifying man to have stand before you in the ring. He has recently made it very clear he is not looking to make friends in DCW and is only looking after number one.

Lycan has also become proof that how a wrestler carries themselves in the ring can have a massive affect on their popularity. Despite not being very well known a few months ago, two shows in he has already become one of the most talked about wrestlers in Ireland. The future is only bright for this lone-wolf.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Loving the slow build of releasing the results TBC, garner a lot more interest that way then just posting them altogether.

Thought Lycan Wouldve come higher :(

Good variety to the list so far. Enjoying it.

A couple of points, however.

Carl O'Rourke's inclusion would be fair enough if this was an 'All Time' list rather than being limited to those who have competed on Irish soil over the last 12 months. If Carl O'Rourke can be included, then why can't say Fergal Devitt, or Finlay? In its current form, I'm not sure exactly whos eligible to be in this ranking at all, its all very vague. A separate 'special mention' or 'achievement award' would have been sufficient for O'Rourke surely, inclusion in the list itself seems to put into question the list as a whole.

Another point worth raising; is the Irish Dragon listed the original Irish Dragon, or the one who came later? If it is the original (though I suspect its not if he was trained by the Ballymun Bruiser), then a more could have been written about his career to date. This brings me to my next point- a lot more could be written about the guys in general. It seems like there wasn't a huge amount of research done into each guy's background, like after reading about JDP I still feel like I know little more about him other than what a 'joy' he is in general. The same could be said of the other names on the list so far as well. Some discussion of specifics would be great, like some big matches they've had, etc. Some critical comment would add a lot too I feel, in their current format the bios seem a little sycophantic.

Admittedly, things like these are a lot more difficult to report on these days without resources like company's own forums and Kenneth McMahon's Irish Wrestling History website (the latter in particular was a huge help to me when I was doing this sort of thing). Moreover, I'm conscious that this is only the start of the list, and I'm sure the bios will get a little bit more in depth when we start getting deeper into the top 20.

This wasn't meant as a dig at all, merely some constructive criticism. Looking forward to the rest of the list.

You hit the nail on the head. The fact is there is very little coverage for Irish wrestling online. It vanishes after 2008. After that Boards, Facebook and chatting to guys in the business is what you have to go by.

I said my piece about Carl being included. Enough people voted him in (He got a number 1 vote from one poster), in fact there was a massive points difference between himself and number 31.

The list those get bulkier with points as it goes on, thanks to the ones getting higher up on the list recieving more coverage some those lower down.

At the end of the day it's a bit of fun, tougher than I thought it would be, and encourages discussion and promotion of Irish wrestling, which is far from a bad thing.

weeks nearly up. will yo be posting it before monday

The writes up to number 21 are going up today and the podcast with numbers 20-11 (Which lead to great converstaion between myself and Walter, enjoyed listening back to it) will either be up this evening or tomorrow morning. Have to finish editing the Mick Foley interview.

cool cool good stuff

Number 24

Insano

A vetern of the Irish wrestling scene, Insanos high flying style has seen him travel the country and gain praise from both fans and his fellow wrestlers alike.

Insano is a former Celtic Pro Wrestling champion and American Championship Wrestling Alliance Heavyweight champion. He has also traveled the globe, haven wrestled in 3 Count Wrestling in England, Wrestling School Austria, and ACWA. But back home Insano has featured in FFPW, CPW, NWA Ireland and home is at home in Dublin Championship Wrestling.

Insano brings a high-flying style to the ring, as is in his element as a baby-face. One voter said that he will "shine in whatever promotion he finds himself in, currently getting bookings in DCW. A great cruiserweight.” But some would argue that age is against Insano, as one voter noted that he "was better in his younger days”. But Insano can still fly with those younger than him, and with the roster of DCW featuring so much young talent he is a great wrestler for them to go and learn from, especially the younger tag-teams present in the company that are following a simular style to Insano.

Number 23

JC Williams

When people think of Irish comedy wrestlers, JC WIlliams is one of those names that pops up time after time after time. Very few guys in Ireland look as comfortable in their gimmick as JC Williams does, and he is one those guys who will always leave the fans happy after a performance.

JC is currently a member of the wrestling.ie group up north of the border, but he is no stragner to touring the country over the years, haven been featured in almost every Irish promotion, including Irish Whip Wrestling, NWA Ireland, Celtic Pro Wrestling, Pro Wrestling Ulster and Ulster Championship Wrestling.

"The Irish Sex-Bomb" has also travelled Europe, including companies in Germany and Spain. His best matches have featured the like of Sheamus, Drew Gallows (McIntyre) and fellow Irish Top 30 entrant and expert at comedt matches Mad Man Mason.

But like Colt Cabana told The Boston Crab a few weeks ago, the key to being a great comedic wrestler is to not take the piss out of wrestling. Williams is more than capable of having great matches, and it is everyone is taken back by when they see him get into the ring. While he may not be the greatest wrestler in the ring, he knows how to get a crowd going and can put on some fantastic matches when the time calls for it.

• Advertisement

Number 24

Insano

But some would argue that age is against Insano, as one voter noted that he "was better in his younger days”.

:confused: Sounds like a bizarre thing to say, Insano can't be more than 23!

Good write ups, was good to learn more about JC Williams, never seen the guy in action myself.

Fair play for the write ups they're turning out well. Im very proud to be as we speak on tour in France with 7 of the top ten. And I dont know if its worth much but nobody here has given away any sign of them being number one so I dont have a clue what way its going to turn out now. Again fair ball for the list its a tricky one to stick together.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Fair play for the write ups they're turning out well. Im very proud to be as we speak on tour in France with 7 of the top ten. And I dont know if its worth much but nobody here has given away any sign of them being number one so I dont have a clue what way its going to turn out now. Again fair ball for the list its a tricky one to stick together.

id concur with the above fair play on the write ups and tbh the idea and doing all this in general.

Justin is there much talk in general about this amongst the guys, despite nobody eluding to knowing if they are no.1? It would be very interesting to hear the opinions of those listed in relation to their and others position on the list, aswell as the list in general.

I'll admit I never voted but im in Taiwan for the past year and thus obviously didnt see any of them perform in that time so I didnt think my vote would be appropriate but as said previously would like to add the final list including positions and maybe the write up of the winner/top 5 as a post in one of the stickies in the hope that it could be updated each year with a new listing and so that it could always be viewed/referenced easily.

when are the top 10 comin up

Is there going to be anymore write-ups. I understand the top 10 wont be revealed until the pod cast is ready. But it has been a while since anything was written here. Its good to read about guys I know little about.

The write ups for all the numbers up to 11 will be up from tomorrow. Sorry all, my laptop has been acting up and I just got it all fixed up so I can keep at this again!

Any write ups?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

assuming the write ups will be up when the podcast with the winner is ready, any idea on when this might be? just curious not rushing you, would have sent you the American list but I'm assuming that since ill have the final 5 up today to podcast wont be recorded yet so you wouldent get a reveal anyway but sure you can talk about if you agree with placings etc if you need something to talk about as it will obviously tie in with your interview later as your Irish top 25 was the inspiration for the American top 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FFPW Office

Thrill Bookmakers latest odds

Mad Man Manson 7/4
    Dunkan Disorderly 5/2
    Paddy Morrow 3/1
    Sean 'Maxer' Brennan 3/1
    Omen 9/2
    Paul Treacy 7/1
    Bingo Ballance 7/1
    Justin Shape 10/1
    Jordan Devlin 14/1
    Phily The Kid 400/1