Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Do your setters ever act like they have an invisible friend? We're convinced my friend's setter has one - he looks into space, plays with balls etc like there's another dog with him etc etc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

One of mine does that with his toys - he'll throw a toy and watch for a while as if he's waiting for the invisible dog to make a move.

Another dog I used to own (not a setter) had a habit of suddenly looking over my shoulder with an expectant look on her face. It was very disconcerting, especially when I was alone in the house. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

tk123 wrote: »
    OMGs!!!!!! There's a retriever in the pound!! The only con I can think of is space - our house is quite small but they curl up together anyways right?? :p

DO IT!!!!!

They do curl up, its unreal how small Lexi can make herself and she has LOOONNNGGGG legs! Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Oh they are most definitely the best dogs in the world. :) I can't imagine ever not having one.

But I suppose everyone says the same thing about "their" breed!

I thanked your post for the bolded bit, because obviously staffies and their crosses are the best dogs in the world. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Hate walking in the rain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I think I may have seen the dog you were talking about on facebook TK... if so, oh my god he is just the fluffiest retriever ever!!

TK can you please PM me the link?

I think I may have seen the dog you were talking about on facebook TK... if so, oh my god he is just the fluffiest retriever ever!!

I know - he looks lovely!! I think he'll be claimed - he looks so well cared for? I'll call them anyways tomorrow and see what the story is ;)

He is gorgeous ;)

TillyGirl, how many calendars did you order :D

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    TillyGirl, how many calendars did you order :D

None..but I think I am getting 10 of each calendars and cards to sell so hopefully wont have to buy them all myself!

If anyone wants some just let me know :D

How many are you getting? You can buy them from me :p

4 Calendars and 1 set of cards. We don't usually send cards but will have to make an exception this year :)

Keeping 1 calendar and giving the other 3 away.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    He is gorgeous ;)

Ah looks like somebody else has already been in contact with the pound about taking him! I'm assuming its first come first served?

Ah looks like somebody else has already been in contact with the pound about taking him! I'm assuming its first come first served?

Not always, it isnt in Ashton anyway. We were nearly last to put our names down for Oz and were second in line to get him. Thankfully the other people never got back to the pound about him!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Theres no harm in trying anyway! If he isnt available they might keep you in mind for any other retrievers that are brought in! Actually I remember you posting before about getting a harness for Bailey with his name on it, did you get it in the end and is it any good? Im thinking of getting Kero a new one for Christmas but want a really good one, shes used to walking in the woods and can pull my uncle to her hearts content but I would like a bit more control over her than that because ill be walking her on the road!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I had the nicest experience today in Kinsealy pet store.

I'm not a regular customer, and tend to go there when I'm stuck for something.

About five months ago the light unit in my bearded dragons tank failed, and they were incredibly helpful, and advised me to get a lightbox (think that's what it's called, it's an external connection you plug your lights into rather than replacing the unit in the tank) and saved me a couple of hundred quid.

Yesterday the power went off briefly and when it came back on, the lightbox emitted some sparks and went dead.

Dragon gets seriously huffy if his light is disturbed, so I went back there today, thinking I'd have to buy a new lightbox.

Explained the situation to them, "ah, it's the starter fuse" they said, and promptly got a spare fuse they had, showed me how to replace it in my unit and told me if it didn't work to bring back the entire unit to be replaced foc under warranty.

It worked :)

Thought it was fantastic service from them, I've literally been in there maybe three times including today, and they could as easily have sold me a new unit.

Theres no harm in trying anyway! If he isnt available they might keep you in mind for any other retrievers that are brought in! Actually I remember you posting before about getting a harness for Bailey with his name on it, did you get it in the end and is it any good? Im thinking of getting Kero a new one for Christmas but want a really good one, shes used to walking in the woods and can pull my uncle to her hearts content but I would like a bit more control over her than that because ill be walking her on the road!

It's a Julius K-9 one. Really well made, handle on then back for pulling him out of the river if needed but NOT for pullers - just gives them more power. I alertnate between that one and a TTouch one I got at a seminar - http://hpp.ie/product_info.php?products_id=474
    ...But now I like the look of the water repellant one on that site too lol - thanks a lot Silly I'll have to get it now lol!! :D

I need to go get food for the small dogs at lunch, they are on burns but I think there are fair superior foods out there for similiar price so am going on the hunt at lunch. Kinda thinking Barking Heads or Arden Grange. What do ye think? Would love to change them to raw since seeing the difference in Lexi but I wouldnt trust them not to choke and cant afford a mincer right now.

I know I can buy the meat already minced and will have a look in Petworld later but the 400g are expensive and the 2kg is massive and I dont have room for it. Would prefer to mince it myself if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I need to go get food for the small dogs at lunch, they are on burns but I think there are fair superior foods out there for similiar price so am going on the hunt at lunch. Kinda thinking Barking Heads or Arden Grange. What do ye think? Would love to change them to raw since seeing the difference in Lexi but I wouldnt trust them not to choke and cant afford a mincer right now.

I know I can buy the meat already minced and will have a look in Petworld later but the 400g are expensive and the 2kg is massive and I dont have room for it. Would prefer to mince it myself if I could.

I've looked after dogs who've been on barking heads and it's a good dry food. Very few ingredients and also smells slightly different to regular dry food, I can't quite explain it, it's almost a 'fresh' smell? It doesn't have that usual dry food processed smell. They were both thriving on it and their owners were also on the fence about dry food, and considering raw. As it was they got their food plus sardines, eggs and mince!

I've looked after dogs who've been on barking heads and it's a good dry food. Very few ingredients and also smells slightly different to regular dry food, I can't quite explain it, it's almost a 'fresh' smell? It doesn't have that usual dry food processed smell. They were both thriving on it and their owners were also on the fence about dry food, and considering raw. As it was they got their food plus sardines, eggs and mince!

I am thinking BH might be the best option, AG have maize. Would prefer a grain free food.

Could I do half BH and half mince+veg? dry in the morning and raw in the evening. Would this do any harm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I moved my two onto barking heads a few months ago, its fantastic!
    Oliver calmed down within a week, need to feed slightly less than other foods but they seem full and happy, solid poop, no farts, and yes it does smell better than most.
    I have had issues with Oliver and foods, chicken seems to upset him, tried loads, he was fine on Royal canin for a while but I think they changed recipe.
    Dogs coats are lovely too, and its cheaper than some of the other good food, I buy on amazon subscribe and save as I can't get it local.

Edit: Tillygirl, I often (at least once a week)feed raw and bones for one meal, just ensure there is a good gap (6-8 hours is what I give).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I am thinking BH might be the best option, AG have maize. Would prefer a grain free food.

Could I do half BH and half mince+veg? dry in the morning and raw in the evening. Would this do any harm?

Once the amount of dry is adjusted down to compensate I wouldn't see why not. The two I was looking after were both large dogs and they got a small enough portion (can't quite remember the grams) along with their fresh food. And they weren't starving either, they looked forward to their food, in fact the husky used to poke me in the bum with her nose while I was preparing it :D, but they didn't gobble it and sometimes left a small amount in their bowl if they were full.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Stheno wrote: »
    I had the nicest experience today in Kinsealy pet store.

I'm not a regular customer, and tend to go there when I'm stuck for something.

About five months ago the light unit in my bearded dragons tank failed, and they were incredibly helpful, and advised me to get a lightbox (think that's what it's called, it's an external connection you plug your lights into rather than replacing the unit in the tank) and saved me a couple of hundred quid.

Yesterday the power went off briefly and when it came back on, the lightbox emitted some sparks and went dead.

Dragon gets seriously huffy if his light is disturbed, so I went back there today, thinking I'd have to buy a new lightbox.

Explained the situation to them, "ah, it's the starter fuse" they said, and promptly got a spare fuse they had, showed me how to replace it in my unit and told me if it didn't work to bring back the entire unit to be replaced foc under warranty.

It worked :)

Thought it was fantastic service from them, I've literally been in there maybe three times including today, and they could as easily have sold me a new unit.

That's sound as I know heat and UV systems aren't cheap. Any pics of your dragon? What type of set-up/Viv have you got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Hi, this is exactly what I'm doing at the moment - dry food in the morning and raw in evening. I've noticed my dog has become a bit more hyper at around 7/8, which is a pain, so I might try swapping the meals around. Would be interested if anyone else finds the same, ie dog gets a rush after a raw meal?

planetX wrote: »
    Hi, this is exactly what I'm doing at the moment - dry food in the morning and raw in evening. I've noticed my dog has become a bit more hyper at around 7/8, which is a pain, so I might try swapping the meals around. Would be interested if anyone else finds the same, ie dog gets a rush after a raw meal?

The small ones are always hyper so doubt it would make a difference.

Actually Lexi is a lot more chilled out now and has stopped chewing the furniture since we changed to raw with her. Doesnt bark as much when shes outside either.

Got BH Salmon&Potato and two of the 400g minced raw meat. Chicken&tripe and a rabbit one. See how we go with it.

:( After a stressful walk this morning I decided that I'm not ready for another dog with potential issues or one I don't know the history of - sticking to the plan of eventually getting a puppy and doing as much as possible to make it confident/well rounded etc etc. Home is booked for the dog in the pound anyways so he'll be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Last Sunday, my boy Diesel was running across our field when his back legs went on him completely, and he could only drag them along behind himself. I really thought he'd never walk again. One week on, following crate rest and meds, he walked into the vets tonight, and the vet that saw him couldn't believe it was him :) Such an amazing, strong dog. he needs to continue the crate rest and will have his meds reduced gradually, but am so, so happy tonight. :D

ISDW wrote: »
    Last Sunday, my boy Diesel was running across our field when his back legs went on him completely, and he could only drag them along behind himself. I really thought he'd never walk again. One week on, following crate rest and meds, he walked into the vets tonight, and the vet that saw him couldn't believe it was him :) Such an amazing, strong dog. he needs to continue the crate rest and will have his meds reduced gradually, but am so, so happy tonight. :D

Ah great news!! It's crazy how they bounce back isn't it - you see them getting stronger each day! That's what makes crate rest so tough I think - they fool you into thinking they're a lot stronger than the are so you have to stick to your guns and be strict.

Voted borderlinemeath ;-)

• Advertisement

Voted borderlinemeath ;-)

+1 and the black GSD ;);)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement