Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seamus Heaney sample essay?

Options
  • 15-12-2013 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Does anyone have a sample essay on Heaney's poetry (or a link to a good one) ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,109 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What would the question be?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tesco TripleChicken

spurious wrote: »
    What would the question be?

I'm not sure but just an essay with 4-5 poems covered as my notes are a bit all over the place.
    Or if anyone has good notes on each of his poems. I can't find any short easy notes online.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,109 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This is the problem with learned off essays taken from other people. Find an actual exam question and build your own essay in answer to it.

You could have an essay with 4 or 5 poems mentioned which in one context might get an A grade and in another, depending on the question asked, would get zero marks.

Know his poems, have experience of writing a couple of answers yourself and you will be prepared for any question that comes up, not trying to jam somebody else's work into the question asked. This is how we used to do it in the old days, before people needed samples of everything.

That said, here's a link to a previous thread looking for the same:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86142400

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭missguided

Much easier to formulate your own, you'll lose marks if you're rattling off a preprepared essay that doesn't answer the question properly. I normally write 3/4 to a page on 4 poems and then practice adapting this to any question in the exam papers, use your own personal response, notes in the back of the poetry book and online and you can get a solid answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

It's also best, for the actual exam, to learn off universal quotes that can relate to multiple themes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement