Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Animal Testing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Against
    In Ireland, experiments, including painful ones, are allowed under the Cruelty to Animals Act, 1876, administered by the Department of Health. Most animal experiments are done without anaesthetic. In Ireland and some other countries, the law requires that, in experiments involving surgery the animal must be anaesthetised but in most of these cases the animal is allowed to recover for observation, and there can be severe suffering at this stage.

Completely untrue. As is most of the crap spouted by the 'animal rights' crowd.

In Ireland, you need to receive special permission if you are NOT going to anaesthetise an animal for an experiment. You also need separate permission AGAIN if you going to let the animal wake up from anaesthesia after a procedure (i.e. not euthanase it while it's still asleep).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

What we need is zombies. Zombie testing FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Against
    MOH, won't be long until you incur the wrath of HAFU for that post ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Like eating animals its not 100% ethically correct but its practical and benefits humanity. If there were another efficient way I'd be for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Brilliant! Admins, a Zombie forum if you please!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Only if its an Atari Jaguar being tested upon
    Like eating animals its not 100% ethically correct but its practical and benefits humanity. If there were another efficient way I'd be for it.

How is it practical and benficial to humanity?
    It is actually a hugely wasteful process. Much moreso than a society that doesn't need mass slaughterhouses to survive. I am much hapopier eating my fake meat and being vegetarian.
    I can also get cheaper health insurance for being a vegetarian now. There si a discount given in some companies. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

I'm completely against it. I don't think we should abuse animals for whatever reason we want. If we're so intelligent, why do we rely on animals so heavily?
    I'm sure we could come up with more humane ways of testing, but we won't because using animals is a far easier option. Shame.

Against

Were your partents vegetarians?
    Your grand-parents?
    Your great grand-parents?
    Etc, etc... ;)

Slaughterhouses and the like (supply chain) have only evolved so that man could dedicate more time to harnessing eletricity, the atom, land on the Moon etc. Not much chance of those happening when you've got to go hunting for your daily meal :cool:
    I can also get cheaper health insurance for being a vegetarian now. There si a discount given in some companies. :-)

That'll be another "private pensions" scandal/fiasco in the offing, then :D

I am much hapopier eating my fake meat and being vegetarian.
    Cue abuse from the non-PC "real men" of Boards... Well the ones who haven't been banned anyway...

It is actually a hugely wasteful process. Much moreso than a society that doesn't need mass slaughterhouses to survive. I am much hapopier eating my fake meat and being vegetarian.

In terms of developing new medicines and treatments for illnesses and understanding more about nature.

• Advertisement

Against
    Nature Boy wrote:
    I'm sure we could come up with more humane ways of testing, but we won't because using animals is a far easier option. Shame.

In the grand scheme of things, testing isn't concerned with "humane" - testing is concerned with cost and reliability of results. Least cost = least number of animals required, cheapest animal variety available for the purpose at hand.

So long as animal testing is cheaper and/or the results thereof more reliable, then that's what is done.

As and when someone invents appropriate non-animal testing methods for this-that-the other compound, which is at least as expensive and at least as reliable, then animal testing for that particular compound stops - because it's not that easy to handle, feed, house, experiment on, etc a live or anaestetized animal.

Not being cynical for the sake of it, just common-sensical.

Were I to be really cynical, then I'd say
    * stop catching & shipping monkeys, because of the carbon footprint
    * start using lifers/paedophiles/etc., human testing surely yields better results faster :evil smiley:

Actually that's a good point. Why doesn't Boards provide an evil smiley?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

is what way is eating meat unethical? I wouldnt call it unethical, but i would suggest that some of the practises for raising and slaughtering animals for consumption as unethical.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

How would you test pet food if it was banned?

Anyhow, here's an article about transparant frogs being produced, so they don't have to be killed to look at their internal organs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Against
    2 things;
    -The reason people feel bad about animal testing is because they have this idea that it is a poor defenseless animal and it is unfair to put it through such ''abuse''. They think the animal thinks and feels the way we as humans do. It's human compassion.
    -Animal testing isn't done because scientists love hurting animals. It is done because it is more practical than using humans as animal lives are obviously not as highly regarded as human lives. However, if someone DOES take some sort of pleasure from watching an animal in pain, then there is something mentally wrong with that person and they shouldn't be allowed test on animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Say an alien race come to earth. They are far more intelligent than us, far more powerful and far more wealthy. They wish to test their perfumes, toilet cleaner, medice etc on us because it cost effective and our lives are "less regarded", would you accept your fate?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Nature Boy wrote: »
    Say an alien race come to earth. They are far more intelligent than us, far more powerful and far more wealthy. They wish to test their perfumes, toilet cleaner, medice etc on us because it cost effective and our lives are "less regarded", would you accept your fate?

Thats an unrealistic proposition.

we hardly set off to Mars to find specimens to test the latest fragrance of lynx on now in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

faceman wrote: »
    Thats an unrealistic proposition.

we hardly set off to Mars to find specimens to test the latest fragrance of lynx on now in fairness

But we're not exactly capable of intergalactic travel, as we became better able to travel we expanded out the animals we felt we had the right to hunt, kill, eat, trap, kidnap and shove into a zoo, etc... who's to say a well travelled intergalactic race would not also adopt a similar view on us inferior creatures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I for one welcome our new intergalactic overlords

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

no, but what would we able to do about it *shrug*
    I'm sure the rabbits and mice don't like their lot either, but that's the way the world is. In a cage, stuck with needles.. or eaten by a fox.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No way that would happen.
    At not until we've sold them all the peoples in the developing world.

BrightEyes wrote: »
    The reason people feel bad about animal testing is because they have this idea that it is a poor defenseless animal and it is unfair to put it through such ''abuse''.
    And? Is that not true?
    They think the animal thinks and feels the way we as humans do.
    Animals feel pain and fear. They feel frustration and boredom from being locked in a tiny space all day every day. Some animals, like dogs and chimps, feel sadness.
    What is your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Against
    Dudess wrote: »
    And? Is that not true?

Animals feel pain and fear. They feel frustration and boredom from being locked in a tiny space all day every day. Some animals, like dogs and chimps, feel sadness.
    What is your point?
    They're food.

Are tigers bad for eating zebras?

I don't get ya, Terry. This is about animal testing. BrightEyes was explaining the reasons why humans get upset by it as if these reasons are incorrect. I was just asking him how they could be incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Against
    I'm off the clock.
    You don't have to get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

I am against animal testing, especially in situations where it's not vital, such as with cosmetics. Whatever about saving human lives, feeding rabbits lipstick in the name of vanity is abhorrent.

faceman wrote: »
    is what way is eating meat unethical? I wouldnt call it unethical, but i would suggest that some of the practises for raising and slaughtering animals for consumption as unethical.

Well, when you can eat vegetables why put a living creature through the experience of death and take its life against its will so you can enjoy eating it? Its not nice for the animal but its not a terrible crime, its, as I said, not perfectly ethical from our moral standpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Againnst, there are to many differences between us, its cruel and wrong. Same goes for blood "sports". Gets my blood boiling

Well, when you can eat vegetables why put a living creature through the experience of death and take its life against its will so you can enjoy eating it? Its not nice for the animal but its not a terrible crime, its, as I said, not perfectly ethical from our moral standpoint.

You havent really explained why its unethical. is it because we are taking the life of another living creature for our own consumption.

If thats the case, well you should eat anything vegetables included. The Jane Muslims can explain it better than me especially at this hour of night!!!

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, they're the dudes who wear masks to prevent them from breathing in and then "killing" air-borne micro-organisms. And they don't wash in case they harm or kill micro-organisms in the water. Isn't it "Jain"?
    Even I, Boards' very own "PC loon", think that's crazy... :)

Advertisement