Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will Starbucks (proper) ever come here?

• 28-04-2012 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭

They seem to be all over Dublin now and was wondering if they would ever come here. There was talk of one years ago but it never happened. A lot of people are heavily against them but I really like them. Ya know what you're getting in there and the layout of most stores are kinda nice, a lot of them do half couches/chairs + coffee table and the other half being tables and chairs. AFAIK there is nowhere in town like this, I would love to be able to sit down on a proper couch or chair with a coffee and just go online for a while or something.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

I dont see the attraction unless perhaps one of novelty if you visit Seattle,
    To me they are a tribute to the homogenous, the golden arches of coffee,
    like a giant bland vacuum ready to suck up any locations character or history,
    IMO The only refreshing thing about Starbucks refreshments is when I visit a city that doesn't have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Shakti wrote: »
    I dont see the attraction unless perhaps one of novelty if you visit Seattle,
    To me they are a tribute to the homogenous, the golden arches of coffee,
    like a giant bland vacuum ready to suck up any locations character or history,
    IMO The only refreshing thing about Starbucks refreshments is when I visit a city that doesn't have one.

Jaysus! Venomous much? It's only an auld coffee house at the end if the day, and a particularly decent one at that. I for one would welcome a Starbucks. Maybe use up one of those useless empty properties in the city that seem to be lying around these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

the golden arches of coffee
    IMO the mickey D's coffee is actually much better than starbucks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Jaysus! Venomous much?

Huh? I was toning it down,

There was a time when you could tell the difference between European cities and immerse in their particular urban instead of the vapid, dull, tedious broadways of H&M, McD's and Starbucks most have become, pushing rents up and locals out,
    The centre of Galway to its credit still has residents and craftspeople at its heart IMO that is why people come here to love Galway and cities like it and not to engage in some stupefying, monotonous and regurgitated consumer experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Starbucks seem to be closing all over the world as trends are changing.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/29/business/29sbux.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Huh? I was toning it down,

There was a time when you could tell the difference between European cities and immerse in their particular urban instead of the vapid, dull, tedious broadways of H&M, McD's and Starbucks most have become, pushing rents up and locals out,
    The centre of Galway to its credit still has residents and craftspeople at its heart IMO that is why people come here to love Galway and cities like it and not to engage in some stupefying, monotonous and regurgitated consumer experience.

Yeah, they love going into the nice local shops and paying 30 euro for a hat or going to a restaurant and over paying for a crap meal. Why not have both? It gives people options. I always had a better consumer experience in McDonalds than any of the local restaurants and best of all, they create jobs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

It would be a good addition especially since coffee shops in galway close at 6 half 6 and Starbucks tend to have longer opening hours, like where can you after alf 6 for a decent take away coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I hope not, in my book they are the McDonalds of coffee and are responsible for "tall" and "grande" - an abomination in it's own right.
    What's so fecking wrong with "medium" and "large" SB?!?

There is one in NUIG apparently but I haven't been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

biko wrote: »
    I hope not, in my book they are the McDonalds of coffee and are responsible for "tall" and "grande" - an abomination in it's own right.
    What's so fecking wrong with "medium" and "large" SB?!?

There is one in NUIG apparently but I haven't been.

I use the one in NUIG occasionally, nice coffee but a little more expensive.

Also I refuse to ask for a tall, grande or vendi?, just bang me out medium thank you very much.

What are they Italian descriptions? It's not as if there isn't a direct English language translation for these measurement ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Yeah, they love going into the nice local shops and paying 30 euro for a hat or going to a restaurant and over paying for a crap meal. Why not have both? It gives people options. I always had a better consumer experience in McDonalds than any of the local restaurants and best of all, they create jobs
    Broad generalistion much?!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Starbucks coffe is ****. They over roast (burn) their beans so that when they make their ****ty frap's and other "coffee based drinks" they have a stronger coffee taste, the problem with this is if you order an espresso, americano or latte, your coffee tastes like ****.

On top of that they are stupidly expensive.

The place in NUIG isn't a starbucks, it's a coffee shop using starbucks coffee, you can buy the same beans in ****ing tesco.

IF you want a good coffee go to either the little cafe express across from taffes or the lad with the little coffee van in the market on weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

or going to a restaurant and over paying for a crap meal.
    McDonalds is the very definition of overpaying for a crap meal.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Starbucks coffe is ****. They over roast (burn) their beans so that when they make their ****ty frap's and other "coffee based drinks" they have a stronger coffee taste, the problem with this is if you order an espresso, americano or latte, your coffee tastes like ****.

On top of that they are stupidly expensive.

The place in NUIG isn't a starbucks, it's a coffee shop using starbucks coffee, you can buy the same beans in ****ing tesco.

IF you want a good coffee go to either the little cafe express across from taffes or the lad with the little coffee van in the market on weekends.
    Yeah I agree with your Starbucks Critic.

However at the same rate, unless I'm mistaken, the place across from Taffes uses Lavaazza, which you can also buy in Tesco.

Yeah I agree with your Starbucks Critic.

However at the same rate, unless I'm mistaken, the place across from Taffes uses Lavaazza, which you can also buy in Tesco.

True but they have a good espresso machine and grinder and they generally know what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

+1 for the Never vote....

The actual coffee is starbucks is piss poor, hence the amount of cream, sugar and syrup they have to shovel into it to make it attractive to impressionable sheeple...

If that was the only downside I'd say let them come, but sadly they have the effect of destroying local competition though the sheer power of their brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

I would live in Starbucks if one opened in town. I hate burnt coffee, but was never served one in Starbucks, either here, the U.S. or the U.K.

I don't like Mocha beans or Arabica. I was impressed with Mr. Waffle across from the college/UCHG. Great service & coffee.

I was impressed with Mr. Waffle across from the college/UCHG. Great service & coffee.

I just popped back to this thread to suggest Mr Waffle.

I was in there recently, and the service was good, but I thought the coffee was as good as I've tasted around town. It was so nice I had a second cup, something I'd never do.

*Awaits for one of the self proclaimed coffee connoisseurs to inform me that a truly great coffee is one that satisfies in a single serving!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭yer man!

One thing a lot of people notice about the Starbucks places is the layout, it's GOOD!! nice balance of chairs + tables and sofas and stuff, nice lighting, free wifi, not too noisy, just comfortable..... This is why I go. So far I have yet to find a place in Galway which can match this and at the same time do a frappuchino..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Treadhead wrote: »
    ... local competition

I was up in the big schmoke on Wednesday evening, missed the GoBus back, so had about 1/2 an hour to kill before the CityLink. And I wanted coffee.

Coulda gone to a pub, but I fancied somewhere that no one was going to try to make conversation, that didn't feel like a takeaway.

Starbucks was perfect. Nice layout, nice feel to it, large enough that no one minded a sole customer taking up a table just to have coffee, fast service. Not the best coffee ever - but nicer than I would have got from Spar etc and I didn't have stand on the street to drink it. And unlike the local cafes - they were OPEN at 8:15pm. (Yes, I did look at various local-seeming places, but they were closed, or not looking welcoming to "just a coffee").

If we had 2-3 places like Java, and they were bigger, then I'd see no need. But.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

horrible coffee, full of people who wanted to be seen there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

I don't care what the coffee tastes like but for me there's no better place to work on my screenplay :D

family_guy_2_guys_in_starbucks.gif?w=400&h=300

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    McDonalds is the very definition of overpaying for a crap meal.

You haven't got food down in "The Latin Quarter" ? Ever have a pizza in Munroes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

Not big into Starbucks, would much prefer a Costa Coffee Shop if Galway was getting a fast food coffee outlet.

People complaining about the early closing times of coffee shops in Galway should check out Javas on Abbeygate St

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭yer man!

Good news about costa coffee, they are looking to locate here in Galway city sometime this year.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0912/1224303944881.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

You haven't got food down in "The Latin Quarter" ? Ever have a pizza in Munroes?
    Not in the last decade no, but I got some free vouchers for McDonalds a while back and by god they were more edible than the food.

Incidentally is there a BSG connection to starbucks? It would be awesome except for the massive irony of them taking a good product and turning it into something dark, sour, and wholly unlike the original. :p Going purely by the horse's mouth of course, the closest I've ever been to a starbucks was sitting across the road slurping tae from a thermos.

yer man! wrote: »
    free wifi,

The only starbuckswith free wifi in Dublin is the one in Terminal 1 in Dublin Airport. The rest of the all have either ****ty bitbuzz or other pre paid wifi services.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Seaneh wrote: »
    The only starbuckswith free wifi in Dublin is the one in Terminal 1 in Dublin Airport. The rest of the all have either ****ty bitbuzz or other pre paid wifi services.

Blanchardstown has free WiFi (or at least it did last Christmas).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

have to agree on Starbucks - really it's now a lifestyle, not for coffee lovers. I have noticed in Dublin that a quality independent coffee house "fixx" has set up across the road from Starbucks and Insomnia in a premises Costa couldn't make work.I am happy to say it's winning. It is always busy compared to the other 3 (it's acutally expensive too ) but the quality of the coffee is beyond reproach.
    I also see another opened directly across from Starbucks on Adelaide rd and seems to be doing well to.
    I just realised I am starting to sound like an anti globalisation activist !:eek:

I really hope they don't come here properly. It would put a lot of weight on the smaller (and much nicer) cafes that exist around the city. I, for one, would very much mourn the demise of Java's, one of the few cafes where they have no problem with you sitting there for hours while reading a book or chatting with others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Nope cos that aint pizza, thats some Irish equivalent. But i do get pizza in 'The Latin Quarter' from Pizza Pasta Napoli, and its by far and a way the best in Galway, they also do a damn nice coffee.

Advertisement