Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Using Sky+ box without cable inputs or viewing card...

• 02-04-2010 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

We have been having issues (glitchy) with our Sky+ box for ages now. When the engineer was out (on another query) a while ago he said that it would probably rectify itself if a factory reset was done. The problem with this is that there's loads of stuff recorded on it and we don't want to lose it by resetting it...

I don't have the facility to record the stuff to a DVDr or HDr so that's not an option. What I was wondering is as follows:

1. If I can get my hands on a second Sky+ box from (say) JumbleTown, can i use the old box in another room to merely play what's on the HD (without the two cable inputs and without the viewing card), sort of like a personal media player?

2. Also, if I get a second Sky+ box from somewhere will it be OK to just use it as we did with the old one with the two cable inputs and the viewing card in it, or are the boxes matched to the cards?

If this works we won't lose any of our stuff, it can still be viewed and we will hopefully have a glitch free new box...

Thanks in advance!

Ronan
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Head wrote: »
    1. If I can get my hands on a second Sky+ box from (say) JumbleTown, can i use the old box in another room to merely play what's on the HD (without the two cable inputs and without the viewing card), sort of like a personal media player?
    No. It must have at least Input 1 connected to a dish pointed at 28 East. It will normally work fine for a day or two without the dish connected but will quickly begin to lock itself down without regular communication from sky, constantly displaying "No satellite signal is being received".
    Head wrote: »
    2. Also, if I get a second Sky+ box from somewhere will it be OK to just use it as we did with the old one with the two cable inputs and the viewing card in it, or are the boxes matched to the cards?
    The card will need to be paired with the new Sky+ box in order to function, which will remove the pairing with the old (current) Sky+ box. Sky+ features will no longer be available on the old box with that card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

:eek: Any volunteers to break the bad news to my wife about her million episodes of Masterchef and to my son about his beloved Jungle Book movie?

Thanks for the concise clarification Kensington!

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Could you swap out the hard drive for another one, factory reset then put back in your original hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

I dunno if that's possible, as in, I genuinely dont know as opposed to I doubt that's possible...

In any case we bit the bullet and reset it last night so everything is gone and we are looking at a big therapy bill for my wife and son...

To go off topic slightly, the signal strength and quality for both inputs is less than 25% all round. Is there anything that can be bought to assist with aligning the dish properly to get these figires up again? This seems to happen every year and I'm certainly not paying over a hundred Euro for a Sky engineer to come out and spend three minutes doing it, like I dod last year :rolleyes:...

Thanks.

Ro

Advertisement