Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FURSTENBERG

• 05-12-2014 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭

Where can i find this treasure, someone said before it could be purchased in Lidl but ive never seen it there, what the hell happened to this superb beer, in the late 80;s this was one of the most popular beers in the country and just seemed to disappear overnight.

The only time i get to drink it is when im in England..Morrisons supermarket sell it but i haven't seen it stocked there in months so maybe they are not selling it anymore, but more's to the point where can i get it here, very much doubt you could get a pint of it anywhere but just a few bottles would be deadly.

the best beer ever IMO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Straylight

I hope it's improved since the 80s because that stuff is responsible for one of the worst hangovers I've ever endured in my life. In the intervening 25+ years I could probably count on one hand with a couple of fingers to spare the number of hangovers that would rival it. Never touched the stuff after that. It may be brewed in accordance with the Reinheitsgebot now, but I swear the stuff sold in Ireland in the 80s was pure chemicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

It's still popular around Stuttgart and that part of the world.
    It's definitely drinkable, but just like a list the length of my arm of licensed foreign brews sold as the real thing in Ireland, I wouldn't touch it unless it were the real thing.

www.fuerstenberg.de

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Spotted it in Lidl in Walkinstown a couple of minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭BobMc

twas lethal stuff alright remember scoffing a fair bit of it back in my heyday of boozing sessions. Would give it a lash if I spotted in somewhere, glutton for punishment I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Straylight wrote: »
    I hope it's improved since the 80s because that stuff is responsible for one of the worst hangovers I've ever endured in my life. In the intervening 25+ years I could probably count on one hand with a couple of fingers to spare the number of hangovers that would rival it. Never touched the stuff after that. It may be brewed in accordance with the Reinheitsgebot now, but I swear the stuff sold in Ireland in the 80s was pure chemicals.

stella artois is far worse for the hangover riddled with chemicals.

yeah furstenberg was strong alright definitely got you locked but sure good times and id love to get it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

BeerNut wrote: »
    Spotted it in Lidl in Walkinstown a couple of minutes ago.

jaysus i must head over there so none in the Lidl in town or the one in Finglas.

was there much of it did you notice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Is there any lager now that isnt full of chemicals? I used to drink Holsten Pils as for a while, think it wasnt supposed to give hangovers or something or other due to how it was brewed, all the sugar used or something?
    I remember furstenburg being about years ago, think even ads for it? but it was before I started drinking, still Im sure I saw it recently.
    Where do they make it here under licence? and why is it so bad compared to the original?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Alcohol causes hangovers. There's no such thing as a commercially produced alcoholic beer that doesn't, if you're drinking too much of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

They always seem to have a lot of it in lidl on Grange Road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

YES!

Love when Lidl have it. Tesco had it for a while last year and it was discontinued.

Thats my Christmas drink sorted!

• Advertisement

Forgot to ask, anyone recall the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Superquinn used to do it. Not sure if Supervalu still do. I stopped going once they dropped the 6 for 5 deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

reprise wrote: »
    Forgot to ask, anyone recall the price?

Sweet! Thnx :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

cerastes wrote: »
    Is there any lager now that isnt full of chemicals? I used to drink Holsten Pils as for a while, think it wasnt supposed to give hangovers or something or other due to how it was brewed, all the sugar used or something?

Just good old fashioned marking and bad science I am afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Seen it in Dunnes and all the Carryout stores seem to have it, saw in Lidl a few weeks ago as well.
    Used to enjoy it on draught.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

lidl togher cork last saturday

Advertisement