Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

10" Archos 101 Internet Tablet is now available in Germany

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Archos 101 16Gb available to order from the Irish store. I put my order in.
    It says it's out of stock, with next shipment in November.

Linky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

been looking forward to this for a while now - I am also curious about the Vega which will ship with 2.2 and 512mb of ram. The bezel on the thing puts me off though.

the Archos will have more support I reckon amongst the android community since it seems pretty solid for pretty cheap so I'm leaning in that direction if they ever actually release the thing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭fransdev

Hi this I found someone who sells them for 273.78 pounds so around 312 Euro, save around 40 Euro. If I buy 5 or more I even get them cheaper any one interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

hmm €15 for codecs is a bit steep!

http://www.archos.com/store/plugsearch.html?prod=archos101it

and according to the pdf it will ship with :***Android 2.2Froyo ( 2.1 Éclair, upgradable to Android 2.2 Froyo when released)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Baza210 wrote: »

lol Froyo is coming soon to half the Android world, sometimes sooner than others lol. The Galaxy S official 2.2 has now been pushed from Sep to Nov, the HTC Hero took 12 months to get a 2.x version of Android, the Dell Streak is running 1.6, if I remember correctly, and is also on the coming soon list, and that's to name just a few!

..........2.2 coming soon just doesn't fill me with confidence. :D

Inquitus wrote: »

somebody beta testing froyo :

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

So which would be the best to go for? This or the Advent/Vega thing Dixons will be selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

zod wrote: »
    somebody beta testing froyo :

The Samsung Galaxy S has had beta Froyo available if you know what you are doing since early Sept. Beta's of the HTC Hero leaked 6 mths before it was released. Beta shots are no indication of how soon a released build will come out.
    cormie wrote: »
    So which would be the best to go for? This or the Advent/Vega thing Dixons will be selling?

Buy an iPad imho if you want a tablet, or wait until next year when Android tablets begin to take off and Android 3.0 is out. There simply aren't the apps there atm to justify spending 70% of the cost of an iPad on an Android tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

I'd go for the Toshiba Folio, as it has a tegra 250 dual core cpu, 512 ram and unlike Archos, Tosh tend to have better screens with no dead or stuck pixels. Which Archos are notorious for?:confused:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

Waited so long for this Archos 10, so long in fact, that I ended up buying an iPad last week and never looked back.

This guy is selling them too, through his website http://www.thurgo.co.uk/ or eBay http://stores.ebay.ie/thurgo-com169
    He is waiting for the next batch to arrive next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Yer, I saw this so I contacted them about my order, made on the 26th of Oct. It will be shipping tomorrow by FedEx, so, according to them, I should have it by next Monday at the latest :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

They'd want to hurry up and get this shipping for the Christmas season. Otherwise they're going to miss out an the best time of the year.

They'd want to hurry up and get this shipping for the Christmas season. Otherwise they're going to miss out an the best time of the year.

If your in a hurry you can buy a tosh for 399 @ powercity here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

If your in a hurry you can buy a tosh for 399 @ powercity here

I hadn't seen that. Thanks zod. The 8Gb Archos for €299 was pushing the envelope for my current money though :D

thanks for the heads up zod. had a look at this on youtube, decent specs but let down with custom UI and a bad screen apparently :/ looks like it'll be after chrimbo for the new addition to the tech family!

emailed archos WRT to delivery before Christmas if ordered online now :

e-commerce <e-commerce@archos.com>

Dear customer,

We can't guarantee a delivery before Christmas if you order it on our online store.
    Cordialement / Best regards

Web sales department
    e-mail : e-commerce@archos.com / web-sales@archos.com
    Tel : +33 1 69 33 16 90
    Fax : +33 1 69 33 16 99

I picked up the Archos 101 at Peats 2day, they told me it had Froyo 2.2 on it, as some should have 2.2 on them, but this one still had 2.1, found that out after I unboxed it:confused:. Will have a look on the net for Froyo or I just go back. For the rest it works like a charm :D If I keep this one going to sideload the Android market etc.

• Advertisement

It should be getting 2.2 before the end of the month according to Engadget.

thanks to fransdev who tipped me off that peats had stock of these the 16gb version for €349 - jumped at it yesterday.

first one, stuck pixel so replaced immediately. 2nd one, another stuck pixel dead center of screen manifested itself after an hour with it. brought it back for refund.

1st impressions of my few hours with it:

pros:
    • Great form factor with a small bezel and very thin design. very comfertable to hold in both portrait and landscape. (though I think possibly a 9" one would be a nice compromise in size)
    • I installed the android market place no problems very easily so had full access to market
    • Tested out angry birds, looked and played wicked although did crash once.
    • Wifi strength was quite good, the browser has pinch to zoom

cons:
    • Android 2.1 comes loaded on this thing and its slow and buggy.
      It's hard to delete shortcuts from home screen
      sometimes the thing just freezes up. (they even saw fit to pre-install a performance monitor on it - you can tell it has only 256mb ram and single core cpu)
    • It doesn't charge over micros usb :( boo-urns - only supplied power adapter
    • you have to manually install the market
    • the media center app would only randomly play videos with numerous "cannot play media" errors for no apparent reason.
    • I'm so used to HTC Sense with Froyo and this 2.1 was just too plain. found myself missing the intuitive froyo actions navigating around the software and apps
    • The screen viewing angles, while not awful, were significantly worse than my HTC desire

didn't get to test hdmi out or usb host.

overall, close one but still probably the best cheap tab there is but the cons far outweigh the pros for me. It was next to the folio in peats which is worse in every dept bar the specifications ironically enough. terrible terrible screen and software on the folio. It has a bigger overall footprint too (and the archos is just about useable one handed on some situations) so I would steer clear.

Looks like I'm gonna wait till a gingerbread flavour tab comes out with at least a tegra2 and 512mb of ram :pac:

Using the HDMI out to 42" TV

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Any other bricks & mortar shops that have archos 101 in stock?

Still available at Peats (Blanchardstown and Parnell Street)

I just installed the Android market and all the apps connected to it, gmail, gtalk, navigation etc and it works like a charm, downloading Skype

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

fransdev wrote: »
    I just installed the Android market and all the apps connected to it, gmail, gtalk, navigation etc and it works like a charm, downloading Skype

How would you say your experience so far compares to 00sully? I was planning on buying one of these (archos 101) but have been a bit discouraged by 00sully's post.

Inquitus wrote: »
    lol Froyo is coming soon to half the Android world, sometimes sooner than others lol. The Galaxy S official 2.2 has now been pushed from Sep to Nov, the HTC Hero took 12 months to get a 2.x version of Android, the Dell Streak is running 1.6, if I remember correctly, and is also on the coming soon list, and that's to name just a few!

Froyo released archos 101

see here http://www.androidcentral.com/archos-internet-tablets-receive-froyo-today?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed:+androidcentral+(Android+Central)

discussed here http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=41941

• Advertisement

Updated my Archos to Froyo, update went smooth. Just experience problems connecting to my Wifi at home. I got N but this should be no problem, it wasn't with Eclair. I just tried the Wifi at work and no problems so I will have a look on some forums if more people experience the same problems. The other thing what isn't working anymore is the Google apps apk, market, gmail etc. It only supports Eclair, but this will probably take time. Overall experience is good. The only thing I don't like is that in some angles you can see the honey grate shape of the screen. Probably gonna sell this one when the Woow or Adam come out also because of the wide screen on the Archos.

Advertisement