Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VIBER - BUG DISCOVERED!! Deleting photos

Options
  • 22-05-2013 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,
    Yesterday I've discovered this F** fault.
    When finish chat and decided to delete conversation.... all photos used during this conversation / chat will be DELETED FROM YOUR GALLERY !!!!
    Checked this on Xperia Pro , S2 , HTC One. Android 2.3.4 and 4.0 - phones aren't rooted and are running on genuine software. All viber vesions were upgraded (not reinstalled) to latest version from store.(don't know about IOS)
    Test yourself and let know to others.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

OR, you could report the bug to the people at Viber and let them know so they can fix it. :rolleyes:

you don't even have to go far, there's a Viber thread here on the forums with official Viber representatives answering questions and giving advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 maknak

I did reported this yesterday to Viber support via ticket. I saw few posts that type over net for previous versions but non of them were answered. I use viber a lot but with this "feature" it makes it useless as most people are able to send photos quicker via viber rather than MMS, Skype etc.
    I have created this post to warn people and give as much details as i could so provided with valuable information regards this matter.
    For me it would be nice tip before I decide to send (&forget) photo which i am not able to retrieve (e.g event with my son) - don't you think?
    Same info went to support.
    Did you tested yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Wait which ones does it delete?

Is it the ones from the viber album/folder or the DCIM folder for example if i attach a recently taken photo to a message?

maknak wrote: »
    Did you tested yourself?
    just tested it there and it doesn't delete the original image at all, they're still there so it looks like it's a bug with viber on your phone, not with viber in general.

unless of course you're talking about incoming messages sent TO you from someone else in a conversation, but if you delete the conversation then i would expect images within that conversation to be deleted unless you had specifically saved them somewhere else.

vibe666 wrote: »
    just tested it there and it doesn't delete the original image at all, they're still there so it looks like it's a bug with viber on your phone, not with viber in general.

unless of course you're talking about incoming messages sent TO you from someone else in a conversation, but if you delete the conversation then i would expect images within that conversation to be deleted unless you had specifically saved them somewhere else.

Yeah thats what i was thinking, if its a photo taken inside of viber or received inside of viber and not saved elsewhere it would make sense to delete the image when the thread was deleted.

if it was deleting photos from another folder apart from viber there would be a serious issue.

If it didn't delete from the viber folder you would have issues with privacy etc

• Advertisement

Photos are being deleted from DCIM folder = from your camera gallery. Tried today on S1 and Vodafone smart 2.... the same story.
    Make sure you have upgraded your viber to latest version.

1. Start convesation / chat.
    2. add photo from DCIM gallery - any folder e.g camera (not necessary Viber folder).
    3. Finish convesation and delete conversation history.
    4. Go back to DCIM gallery and try to fing photos which u have just used during conversation.
    Tried on 5 phones in total = same results.
    All phones are non-rooted so it is not only my problem.

With prevous versions I didn't discovered these faults as alwyas clear chat history as few archives conume a lot of my RAM so I always delete them at exit.

maknak wrote: »
    Photos are being deleted from DCIM folder = from your camera gallery. Tried today on S1 and Vodafone smart 2.... the same story.
    Make sure you have upgraded your viber to latest version.

1. Start convesation / chat.
    2. add photo from DCIM gallery - any folder e.g camera (not necessary Viber folder).
    3. Finish convesation and delete conversation history.
    4. Go back to DCIM gallery and try to fing photos which u have just used during conversation.
    Tried on 5 phones in total = same results.
    All phones are non-rooted so it is not only my problem.

With prevous versions I didn't discovered these faults as alwyas clear chat history as few archives conume a lot of my RAM so I always delete them at exit.

Mine isn't affected, s3 with nightly cm build and viber version 3.0.1

danniemcq wrote: »
    Mine isn't affected, s3 with nightly cm build and viber version 3.0.1
    me neither, on my stock htc one x v4.1.1 with viber 3.0.1.

I got this yesterday
    "Thanks for contacting us and sorry for the inconvenience.

This is a known issue which affect some devices. We are presently working on the solution. you can expect an update very soon.

Please make sure you stay current with our version updates.
    at: http://support.viber.com

We kindly thank you for your patience."

yesterday I've Reset my phone (inc sd card) to clear upgrade issue. Installed new fresh Viber .... the same F*** Sh*t. :((((
    So I tested it on Xperia Pro & Neo & V - same results.
    S2 and HTC ONE & Sensation - same results.
    This is very annoying.
    At the moment I have swapped to Whats UP - shame as most friends use Viber... till now?

until you get sorted would it not be easier to make a copy of the picture you are sending. for people with limited bandwidth resizing a photo should be done anyway. resize but keep original.

Also have you got your photos synced through dropbox, google drive or anything else?

Viber wouldn't be able to delete these photos and you would have a copy of any you lost

• Advertisement

danniemcq wrote: »
    until you get sorted would it not be easier to make a copy of the picture you are sending. for people with limited bandwidth resizing a photo should be done anyway. resize but keep original.

Also have you got your photos synced through dropbox, google drive or anything else?

Viber wouldn't be able to delete these photos and you would have a copy of any you lost
    exactly!

OP, you know the problem exists for you, you've gone out of your way to prove it to yourself multiple times, but you won't perform a simple fix to avoid it being an issue?

install image shrink lite, then any time you want to share an image, instead of picking your gallery, pick image shrink lite and then pick your image from the gallery. it will shrink the size of the image without you losing any noticeable quality and during the process will make a new image which it will then share with viber.

I'd viber still deletes this image on your device, you still have the original.

Advertisement