Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix now available on this side of the pond.

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

iwo wrote: »
    I'm not saying it is good service for all... I have fair coverage. Also, I do think this is a future - wireless broadband... Not a current infrastructure tho. Everything goes wireless now.
    I do have a eircom at home and three on the phone, why not to use it?

Thats where you're wrong, it's not wireless broadband, it's mobile internet (midband). Ireland is the only country in Europe where it is classed as and allowed be sold as broadband and it used by politicians to beef up the statistics and make us look better, when really this country is years behind in broadband terms.

Ever use a smartphone in the UK, it's miles faster, because people don't use it as a fixed broadband substitute

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I'm not saying it is good service for all... I have fair coverage. Also, I do think this is a future - wireless broadband... Not a current infrastructure tho. Everything goes wireless now.
    I do have a eircom at home and three on the phone, why not to use it?

Thats where you're wrong, it's not wireless broadband, it's mobile internet (midband). Ireland is the only country in Europe where it is classed as and allowed be sold as broadband and it used by politicians to beef up the statistics and make us look better, when really this country is years behind in broadband terms.

Ever use a smartphone in the UK, it's miles faster, because people don't use it as a fixed broadband substitute
    Did you read and understand my post? I said, in the future and not with current infrastructure...

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G

Did you read and understand my post? I said, in the future and not with current infrastructure...

I read and understood your post, but you're wrong once again, mobile will never be broadband. Even being optimistic, the max that future LTE can ever provide is on a par with current DSL (which isn't ready for Netflix). Then the only way they have of controlling it is through caps and restrictions.
    http://stopthecap.com/2011/04/04/why-verizons-lte4g-network-will-never-replace-cabledsl-broadband-usage-caps/

I read and understood your post, but you're wrong once again, mobile will never be broadband. Even being optimistic, the max that future LTE can ever provide is on a par with current DSL (which isn't ready for Netflix). Then the only way they have of controlling it is through caps and restrictions.
    http://stopthecap.com/2011/04/04/why-verizons-lte4g-network-will-never-replace-cabledsl-broadband-usage-caps/

Did you hear mobile broadband term!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband

Check, the spec for both wireless and cable. Current wimax or 4G are more than enough to be called broadband. Unless you come back to us with your way of understanding, broadband term.

Did you hear mobile broadband term!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband

Check, the spec for both wireless and cable. Current wimax or 4G are more than enough to be called broadband. Unless you come back to us with your way of understanding, broadband term.

Well since you're quoting wiki as trusted source I suggest you read this, especially the bit
    In the United Kingdom, a steering group known as Digital Britain was set up, with the aim of promoting digital telecommunications in October 2008. The conclusion of the steering group was a recommendation that the government took up, namely to have 100% broadband coverage, with a minimum speed of 2Mbps in the United Kingdom by the year 2012. Mobile "broadband" using 3G is not now expected to be able to ensure 2Mbit/s broadband coverage to the more remote areas of the UK as coverage is too poor and contention too high.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_broadband

The Irish equivalent to Digital Britain is IrelandOffline, they have a forum here on boards. You should read some of the threads and articles and not believe the marketing hype that is "mobile broadband"
    http://irelandoffline.org/2009/08/is-mobile-midband-in-ireland-destroying-broadband-infrastructure/
    http://irelandoffline.org/2011/12/ireland%E2%80%99s-broadband-performance-slumps/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Robdude wrote: »
    I'm not comparing it to Xtravision - I'm comparing the price and content you'd get on the US plan verse the EU plan.

It's the internet. Your physical location doesn't matter. They can't even (accurately) determine your physical location.

I'd rather pay 7.99 USD than 6.99 EUR - and that's assuming all of the content is identical.

Yes they can, for me atleast. Before it launched everytime i went on their website it says Netflix is not available in Ireland yet. Would you like us to send you an email when it is?

I never got the email through lol

Well since you're quoting wiki as trusted source I suggest you read this, especially the bit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_broadband

The Irish equivalent to Digital Britain is IrelandOffline, they have a forum here on boards. You should read some of the threads and articles and not believe the marketing hype that is "mobile broadband"
    http://irelandoffline.org/2009/08/is-mobile-midband-in-ireland-destroying-broadband-infrastructure/
    http://irelandoffline.org/2011/12/ireland%E2%80%99s-broadband-performance-slumps/

Discussion, with you is pointless... Sorry.. I talk about wimax and LTE stuff and you coming back to 3g and other old infrastructures.. I'm talking about about fast, future

Discussion, with you is pointless... Sorry.. I talk about wimax and LTE stuff and you coming back to 3g and other old infrastructures.. I'm talking about about fast, future

Don't believe the hype. Sorry, I live in the real world and have experience to say otherwise. I've been involved in Fixed Wimax rollouts for the last 4years. Fixed Wimax works, Mobile Wimax doesn't work, the speeds are highly optimistic and not achievable. Mobile LTE will be the same. If you want a system that's guaranteed to work, you need control, with mobile the only control they have is to stop you connecting (defeats the purpose of mobile and means it's not always on like broadband should be) or usage caps.

Have a read of some of the links in Wattys posts which explain in great detail why LTE offers little more than 3G:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055966781&page=1

Don't believe the hype. Sorry, I live in the real world and have experience to say otherwise. I've been involved in Fixed Wimax rollouts for the last 4years. Fixed Wimax works, Mobile Wimax doesn't work, the speeds are highly optimistic and not achievable. Mobile LTE will be the same. If you want a system that's guaranteed to work, you need control, with mobile the only control they have is to stop you connecting (defeats the purpose of mobile and means it's not always on like broadband should be) or usage caps.

Have a read of some of the links in Wattys posts which explain in great detail why LTE offers little more than 3G:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055966781&page=1

When you compare 2005 vs 2011 there is a huge gap between technology. Also, there is a big push for mobile devices to be quicker and quicker and internet speed will not stay behind. I'm very surprised that you tech'y guy don't believe that in next few years wireless will become a No 1 access point. After quick research I found that for example Verizons average speed is 6mb down and 5mb up.... What else would you need on mobile devise??? And this is very early mobile broadband stage! Jezus look back in memory when we were using phone modemw with few kb speed. That was only few years ago.

When you compare 2005 vs 2011 there is a huge gap between technology. Also, there is a big push for mobile devices to be quicker and quicker and internet speed will not stay behind. I'm very surprised that you tech'y guy don't believe that in next few years wireless will become a No 1 access point. After quick research I found that for example Verizons average speed is 6mb down and 5mb up.... What else would you need on mobile devise??? And this is very early mobile broadband stage! Jezus look back in memory when we were using phone modemw with few kb speed. That was only few years ago.

It's not as simple as that. There just isn't the spectrum to deliver broadband through wireless unless you use a fixed system, mobile just wastes the spectrum. Also, some of the spectrum available in the USA is tied up here and can't be used (NTL use it for MMDS TV, NTL are UPC, they won't give it up in a hurry). Eircom are also sitting on spectrum they're not using. And then you've the biggest problem, Comreg, they just auction it off in narrow bandwidth chunks to the highest bidder without any control of where it's used, you'll get 4 providers in one area in the city (reducing the bandwidth available to each provider), none in another area in the countryside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭irishchris

Can we please get back on track here guys. This is after all netflix thread. If you wish to argue over mobile broadband open up a thread in relevant section.
    As this is a thread on netflix I am surprised at negative comments in its infant stage. I have to say I find quality on HTC dhd brilliant and have not experienced any buffer issues. However on my Samsung galaxy tab it seems very pixelated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Yes they can, for me atleast. Before it launched everytime i went on their website it says Netflix is not available in Ireland yet. Would you like us to send you an email when it is?

I never got the email through lol

They can approximate a location that is associated with a block of IP addresses. The thing is, the IP address they see doesn't need to be your computer at all. It's very trivial for anyone who wants to, to connect to another machine and have that machine make the request.

It's, literally, three clicks of my mouse, and I have an IP address that is associated with the United States that Netflix will gladly welcome onto their site.

Apologies for highjacking the thread.

Going back to the subject, do you think that we will get more titles? You can't go wrong with 7 euro per month but still, I would be happy to see new stuff coming. Do they replace old ones with new ones or just add new on top of existing? I was hoping to see something like two and half man or how I met your mother series.

Robdude wrote: »
    They can approximate a location that is associated with a block of IP addresses. The thing is, the IP address they see doesn't need to be your computer at all. It's very trivial for anyone who wants to, to connect to another machine and have that machine make the request.

It's, literally, three clicks of my mouse, and I have an IP address that is associated with the United States that Netflix will gladly welcome onto their site.

I have a proxy soft tuning on a laptop but wasn't able to register in states...they don't accept eu paypal and credit card. I also tried with YouTube and google movies and I blocked my google and credit card accounts. The only thing which o got working is USA iTunes...I got it topped up with voucher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If enough people start using netflix will it not cause issues even with wired BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭pedatron

Apologies for highjacking the thread.

Going back to the subject, do you think that we will get more titles? You can't go wrong with 7 euro per month but still, I would be happy to see new stuff coming. Do they replace old ones with new ones or just add new on top of existing? I was hoping to see something like two and half man or how I met your mother series.

I feel the same. Think its great value and such but without the 4oD comedy stuff and US office there aren't that many comedy shows I want to watch. TV shows in general on it need to be refreshed. Two series of Dexter and Breaking Bad isn't good enough if they want me to stop pirating stuff tbh. They're gonna need to keep it as up to date as they can.

Advertisement