Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starting programming ?

Options
  • 17-07-2014 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all
    Does anyone know of a starter programming couse ( a prpgramming for dummies ! ) course i could undertake .
    Something that will show me the basics and not overwhelm me.
    Thanks for any opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭djerk

you havent specified whether or not youd like accreditation, to work from home or enroll in university etc. if all you want is to learn some basic programming skills you can easily find many books on the subject and DIY, or practice many of the tutorials available online.

something like this might be of use?

edx.org/course/iitbombayx/iitbombayx-cs101-1x-introduction-1447
    edx.org/how-it-works

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

https://buckysroom.org/videos.php

Great tutorial videos on many programming languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

A lot of top American universities are offering free introductory courses to programming.

Here's MIT's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

google for "scratch for beginners" and do be scared away by the cartoon look of the examples. Once you get basic ideas like loops or conditions you can move to something with less graphic. I'd suggest python.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I have looked into those non-accredited courses but i kinda am afraid that i would get overwhelmed if they are too difficult .
    Accreditation isnt important as yet, just want to test the water before i untake a course(s) as i really am a novice
    I have only a lap top so would i need a pc
    Thanksfor the replied

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

A Laptop should be fine. I'm using an 8 year old macbook and I study and write in Java php and mySql. Using a big IDE like eclipse can slow it down sometimes, but other than that its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Stay away from big IDEs [1] at the beginning - you have to get some basic ideas first.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_Development_Environment

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

+1 for EDX.
    As well, I'd recommend investing in one or two programming books to obtain good habits from the beginning. For instance - Code Complete by Connell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Thanks for all the replies/links
    Will try them to get a taste before diving in. Cheers lads/ lassies :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

cjmc wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies/links
    Will try them to get a taste before diving in. Cheers lads/ lassies :)

Actually if you have never done any programming I'd suggest you have a play around with Scratch... It is easy to learn, very visual and a lot of fun right from the start. You will get all the basic of programming from it: branching, looping, repetition etc...

My daughter is always tell me how she does not like programming and yet when I pop my head into here bed room about 30% of the time she has Scratch fired up and is working on some kind of program or other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

codeacademy.com

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ChoiChoi

Try "Learn Python the hard way", its supposed to be very good, its an online course.

Advertisement