Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floyd Mayweather Vs Miguel Cotto

• 10-04-2012 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

will Cotto cause Mayweather problems
    Mayweather is treating Cotto with alot of respect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Na probably not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭babymanval

MD1990 wrote: »

Pretty disrespectful behaviour by Floyd throughout that interview I would've thought? He spent over 2 minutes talking about a football bet? Whether or not he respects Miguel's boxing is another thing...

Floyd is just about the least-likeable sportsman I've ever seen. Complete attention-seeking child, and clearly an absolute mess of a person. He obviously missed out on too many hugs growing up while his family were busy shooting each other instead.

Cotto will need to get lucky. Hopefully he catches Floyd early the way Mosley did, but has the killer instinct to finish the job like Mosley couldn't. Any longer than 4 rounds and Floyd figures him out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

babymanval wrote: »

Pretty disrespectful behaviour by Floyd throughout that interview I would've thought? He spent over 2 minutes talking about a football bet? Whether or not he respects Miguel's boxing is another thing...

Floyd is just about the least-likeable sportsman I've ever seen. Complete attention-seeking child, and clearly an absolute mess of a person. He obviously missed out on too many hugs growing up while his family were busy shooting each other instead.

Cotto will need to get lucky. Hopefully he catches Floyd early the way Mosley did, but has the killer instinct to finish the job like Mosley couldn't. Any longer than 4 rounds and Floyd figures him out.

Complete mess of a person is going too far. He has issues but He's someone who who has incredible discipline to keep his body in such good shape at 35.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

he least-likeable sportsman I've ever seen.
    i totally agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Problem is that Cotto doesn't have that kind of one shot pop to really dent Floyd, nor the speed of delievery to shock Floyd. Floyd will shut Cotto down, and watch, he will be the boss on the inside. Floyd is deceptively strong and rugged. And, a master at using his strength; feet, positioning, hips, manoeuvring, leaning, holding.

Floyd is just about the least-likeable sportsman I've ever seen.
    what if everybody acted real friendly & respectfull?
    it would be really boring
    u need guys like Floyd to help sell fights

Floyd's main selling point is his 0. His bad manner too I guess.

Brilliant, saves me going looking for it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

walshb wrote: »
    Brilliant, saves me going looking for it!

ditto, nice one. just watched first minute, mayweather is some c**t alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Henno30

I agree that Floyd's behaviour helps sell the fight, but it isn't the case that there are only two personalities in the world, the nice guy and the complete wanker. FightCamp 360 just shows human beings without trying as hard as 24/7 does and it's twice as interesting as a show. 24/7 tries to lay it on too thick.

In any case, Pedro Diaz is a welcome addition to to the series. He seems somewhat more cerebral than fifty cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,331 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Firstly, it was 1 minute not 2. Secondly, he has a public persona that is purposefully that way to paint him as cocky to ensure those that don't like him will also watch a fight hoping he loses.

What I don't like is people who get so personal with their hate like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭babymanval

eagle eye wrote: »
    Firstly, it was 1 minute not 2. Secondly, he has a public persona that is purposefully that way to paint him as cocky to ensure those that don't like him will also watch a fight hoping he loses.

Who cares how long, he held up the interview for his trivial childish bullsh*t on two occasions... What I don't like is blind faith Floyd fanboys who will follow a sportsman with all of the blindly devout vehemence of a religious extremist, when he's clearly an awful human being... FFS the man (Word "man" used generously) is going to jail for beating the sh*te out of his missus in front of her kids. Are you actually serious? Sorry, but I'm justified in my "personal hate" towards such a person. Tell me otherwise.

eagle eye wrote: »

If someone acts like a complete cu*t, people shouldn't have to say "oh it's ok, because he's making money out of it." What kind of crazy logic is that? I fully agree that it's exaggerated for effect but that doesn't mean people should have to put up with it. Did it make any difference to Joe Frazier's kids when Ali called their father a white man's negro in order to promote their fights? Frazier and his family still had to live with that slur.

Yes Mayweather does what he does to sell fights, but his behaviour is still repulsive to most people regardless of why he does it. He profits from this reaction, so he also has to pay the price for it. And that price is that the public loathes him, as reflected by the reluctance of sponsors to go anywhere near him because his name is poison.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

Who cares how long, he held up the interview for his trivial childish bullsh*t on two occasions... What I don't like is blind faith Floyd fanboys who will follow a sportsman with all of the blindly devout vehemence of a religious extremist, when he's clearly an awful human being... FFS the man (Word "man" used generously) is going to jail for beating the sh*te out of his missus in front of her kids. Are you actually serious? Sorry, but I'm justified in my "personal hate" towards such a person. Tell me otherwise.

haters gonna hate

#moneyteam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

This is really a hard fight to judge.

Mayweather is old, but Cotto has been in more wars. Does Cotto have more in the tank than Mayweather? That is a big question.

Also, I don't agree that if the fight goes past round 4/5 the tide will go towards Mayweather. IMO Cotto can put the pressure on Money for all 12 rounds, winning points.

Mayweather is old, but Cotto has been in more wars. Does Cotto have more in the tank than Mayweather? That is a big question.

Also, I don't agree that if the fight goes past round 4/5 the tide will go towards Mayweather. IMO Cotto can put the pressure on Money for all 12 rounds, winning points.

I don't know if he can. Floyd will start to lose the physical edge at some point but there has been nothing to date to suggest that this is near at hand. While his commitment to conditioning is trumpeted for the psychological advantage it can give, there's no doubt that he's still in excellent shape. When comparing him with Cotto you have to take wars into account and Floyd has never had any.

In my opinion it will depend on just how resourceful and adaptable Miguel Cotto can be. If he's too eager to exchange, Floyd's handspeed will tell massively and he'll get cut up. The fact that he likes to land bombs makes this all the more likely. The exchanges are going to have to be carefully selected and he'll have to make them count. A couple of clean shots against the ropes, two or three times a round, and controlled pressure for the rest of it might work for him. Can he do anything more spectacular than that? Maybe, but I won't hold my breath.

I hear there's two PPV events on May 5th. One is Cotto-Mayweather and the other, Merchant-Mayweather. Larry's been assigned to do post fight ring interviews.:)

I hear there's two PPV events on May 5th. One is Cotto-Mayweather and the other, Merchant-Mayweather. Larry's been assigned to do post fight ring interviews.:)

That's gas. I would have expected them to put Kellerman on the interviews. On the off-chance that Floyd loses it'll be an opportunity missed, that aside it should add to the entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Henno30 wrote: »
    That's gas. I would have expected them to put Kellerman on the interviews. On the off-chance that Floyd loses it'll be an opportunity missed, that aside it should add to the entertainment.

Even if he wins it's an opportunity lost to talk about where he goes from there, Merchant is licking his ass now, praising him, in the hope he'll get that interview but I don't see it happening

Even if he wins it's an opportunity lost to talk about where he goes from there, Merchant is licking his ass now, praising him, in the hope he'll get that interview but I don't see it happening

He's already said he's going to fight three or four more times so we won't be missing too much on that front. Probably going to be facing one of the younger guys at 147, or else Canelo or Sergio at 154.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

Id like to think this is right but floyds speed will be too much for cotto, the more cotto pushes on as the fight goes on, the more floyd will pick him off. it wont be a war as cotto hopes.

in fairness to floyd he seems to be giving a lot more respect to cotto than ive seen in any other prefight build up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pabzzz

Floyd already said on 24/7 that he won't be doing an interview with Merchant!

Henno30 wrote: »

Kellerman is on for Pacquiao-Bradley!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Muzi5434

I know it's a bit early but would anyone know if skysports would be showing the fight?

Muzi5434 wrote: »
    I know it's a bit early but would anyone know if skysports would be showing the fight?

As far as I know Sky will not be covering this fight. BoxNation will cover it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Muzi5434

As far as I know Sky will not be covering this fight. BoxNation will cover it.

Cool, thanks for that. Do you know if HBO have an online thing where you can buy and stream online in HD?

Advertisement