Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

Austria on channel 4+ 1 at mo,

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Didn't watch that but thanks for the heads up.

Ran for the first time since the race today (I had promised myself a week off training). Did 11.5k at an easy pace. At first my legs felt heavy but they eased out nicely and it was an enjoyable jog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭griffin100

You can watch Austria highlights on 4OD. Think that was RedB they showed crossing the finish line right at the end of the programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Belated congratulations for last week Oryx. Sounded like you met and beat a whole load of demons! :)

Belated congratulations for last week Oryx. Sounded like you met and beat a whole load of demons! :)
    No the demons are still on my shoulder telling me 'you shoulda gone harder you know..' :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Great report Oryx, congrats on what sounded like an epic epic! Ironman every bit as daunting as I imagined! Brilliant report, well done on completing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Oryx wrote: »
    No the demons are still on my shoulder telling me 'you shoulda gone harder you know..' :)

They're screaming in my ear all week :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Interesting reading your report, and Bloody well done may I add, that you were able to get motoring again when the sun went down. You have the engine and perhaps its just a matter of keeping it cool (yes, easier said than done for a hot hoochie like yourself ;)). I had some German TV channel live streaming the Frankfurt IM yesterday and noticed the Pros doing everything to keep themselves cool. Stuffing sponges down the front and back of tops. Talking 4-5 cups of water etc...

Anyway, you soldiered through IMAT and kudos to you tough girl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

http://www.fusionsportsuk.co.uk/triathlon-cooling-range.htm

used their normal gear before and its top notch (and arguably v pricey) but since you mentioned 'cooling' ... the ice packs in particular spots ... it all sounds very good ... but hey. Kicking back under a tree with a 99 might work just as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hey hot hoochie momma! Just getting caught up now that i am back in business with the internet. Awesome report. You are one tough cookie to fight through the low points on that journey. You did a super job - a job most don't have the strength/desire/ignorant bliss (?) to even consider doing, so be nothing less than very proud of yourself. Hope the emotional roller coaster you are more than likely on isn't too bad, but that roller coaster should be a cake walk compared to your day in the sun. Gosh...you did it...you really, really did it. Holy crap Oryx, you rock.

One request....post the finish photo.

And....I'm heading east....with (questionably legally?) burned music that i can't possible take back on that plane....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Great read and great guts Oryx. Well done. Enjoy the down time

Down time would describe the last two weeks alright. Because of travel and catching up on life, I trained for one hour the week I came back, and this week I have done an epic four sessions. I think its time to build back into things and see what I'm going to do for the rest of the year. Life outside of training is pretty ropey at the moment so I do need the distraction. :)

Nice swim last night. Club superman and the coach happened to be at the pool so had a nice chat and a few tips as well. Not a long swim, I'm still finding my way back to full effort. But it did my head good.

What I'm waiting to see is how much you will smash a 3:30 at the Dublin marathon. When you're ready and have the desire (and certainly not before), you need to HTFU and get with your marathon training. That, my dear, will be a day you will shine. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    What I'm waiting to see is how much you will smash a 3:30 at the Dublin marathon. When you're ready and have the desire (and certainly not before), you need to HTFU and get with your marathon training. That, my dear, will be a day you will shine. ;)
    The head really isnt ready yet, alright. But it will be. Whether I get a sub 3.30 is debatable, I dont know that Im that sharp this year. But we will see.

One request....post the finish photo.
    And just for you. :p

t9bnnc.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well if she does decide to go for 3:30 in DCM she will have my skinny little a$$ to follow as i am one of the pacers.

Incentive enough Oryx;)

Well if she does decide to go for 3:30 in DCM she will have my skinny little a$$ to follow as i am one of the pacers.

Incentive enough Oryx;)
    hubba hubba. :D

And just for you. :p

t9bnnc.jpg

Gorgeous!!! And you look SO happy!!!!!! :D

Incentive enough Oryx;)

Oryx, just don't trip over him. ;)

Oryx, just don't trip over him. ;)
    It should be ok. He will be one of the ones singing 'follow the yellow brick road....' ;)

It should be ok. He will be one of the ones singing 'follow the yellow brick road....' ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhjRUKCKIG4

I'm just not sure which one is JB. ;)

• Advertisement

Ok. I'll leave the jb slagging to tunney now and get back to the serious business of training. Except this week hasn't been serious at all, its very hard to be bothered doing anything when I can sit around eating popcorn and watching sky movies with the kids. So this is how normal people live! :)

Got out for a run this morning having done zip yesterday. It was nice, with probably no training benefit whatsoever, but it did my head good at least. 14k in 80mins.

Got out for a run this morning having done zip yesterday. It was nice, with probably no training benefit whatsoever, but it did my head good at least. 14k in 80mins.

Gotta keep that head clear! Me too :rolleyes:

So. Decision time again. Input accepted and appreciated.

Do I:
    Concentrate on HIM, and work on speed and improving my bike.

Or

Say sod it, and enter IM frankfurt.

I enjoyed the IM training more than anything I've done previously (the discipline and time focused plan suited me), and while the race was hell, I'd like to do a more temperate IM and see how I fare.

But I am still a numpty, and that needs fixing, I hate hate hate being a back of the pack loser. I do need to (wo)man up and face my hatred of speedwork. If I go for the shorter races, I need a good plan to work off. Left to my own devices I tend not to work well.

Hmmmm......

Do I:
    Concentrate on HIM, and work on speed and improving my bike.

Or

I enjoyed the IM training more than anything I've done previously (the discipline and time focused plan suited me), and while the race was hell, I'd like to do a more temperate IM and see how I fare.

But I am still a numpty, and that needs fixing, I hate hate hate being a back of the pack loser. I do need to (wo)man up and face my hatred of speedwork. If I go for the shorter races, I need a good plan to work off. Left to my own devices I tend not to work well.

Hmmmm......

Lots of intense turbo sessions...........worked wonders for me, you aint no loser your an IRONMAN remember!

Out at six for an early cycle with my usual training buddy. This was my first ride since the race and my ass still had the imprint of the saddle. It hurt from very early on! Apart from that it was a nice spin. Not working on speed just out to enjoy it. Lots of chat and of course a tea break. Next week I'll train properly. Swear.

71k. Slowly. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Hmmmm......

I knew you would do another once the pain went away!!! :D

I haven't convinced myself completely. Anyway, its not the race I dread so much as the lead up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I haven't convinced myself completely. Anyway, its not the race I dread so much as the lead up to it.

Which did you enjoy more, IM and all that it means training wise or that day on the couch with the kids eating popcorn and watching movies ?

I'd go for HIM and experience afternoons like that every so often without the worry that you should be on the bike etc.

Just a thought, you've come so far so quick and perhaps a step back for a few months might take you a step forward in the long run.

Oh and +1 on the turbo and spending some time working on what you talk about the most, your bike.

PS i hope you have a marathon in your legs in Aug 2013;)

Sea swim tonight. My first time pulling on a wetsuit in a month. :) It felt cold going in but was actually really pleasant and a nice temperature once you got going. As usual I was painfully slow, left behind by everyone. It must be some IM after effect because everything is slow motion at the moment. Its quite frustrating because I feel like I'm putting in the effort.

• Advertisement

Heres a funny story. Checked my email today and theres a mail from paypal, telling me TriAthy have just sent me a hundred quid for coming first in my ag in the Double oly. They apologised for the delay.

The funny part of this story, is there was noone else in my ag. :)

I do appreciate the cash though. Thank you, triAthy!

Advertisement