Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

:D:D:D W1D1 done! :)

Woke up at 7 and lay in bed till 10 tossing and turning, I wasn't gonna go for a run, then my conscience was like "SD you bought a bloody app for this" so up I get, throw in my earphones and I do it. Lovely park up the road from me that I ran around about 4 times, some of the dogs off their leash that were with their owners sometimes trotted after me and wagged their tails. :D:D

I'm sweaty and disgusting, my face is red, my lungs feel like they are about to collapse but I FEEL great. My boyfriend is very impressed because I'm quite lazy. I told him about my run and I got the reply: " Brilliant! I'm impressed! The first time is the hardest. I'm like a dog I only run when I have a ball to chase!" :D

Cheered up for the day. Sorry about the long post! I'm excited!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I started doing this last year and got from couch to about 3km before moving house and forgetting about it. Really want to start the program again as it was excellent. Can someone recommend podcasts with pop tunes as I find it difficult to exercise to trance music.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Well done everyone :) I have decided to replace one of my gym days (usually go to the gym 3 days a week and then swim 3/4 days a week) with running. Was supposed to be today but today is going to be sleeping/college projects day :/ And it's a pity because it's so sunny.

Just a question, what do ye do for water? Carry a water bottle or something? It's just I get dehydrated really fast doing any form of exercise. But would carrying water be awkward? Hmm. Whenever I used to run outdoors before it was with the rowing club and we left water bottles at the boathouse and kinda ran around it!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Just a question, what do ye do for water? Carry a water bottle or something? It's just I get dehydrated really fast doing any form of exercise. But would carrying water be awkward? Hmm. Whenever I used to run outdoors before it was with the rowing club and we left water bottles at the boathouse and kinda ran around it!

You could do something similar when you plan your running route and have it loop past your house/car/wherever you have stashed water. I rarely carry water unless I'm going to be out for more than 2 hours (unless it's the summer), but when I have to I'll usually use a water belt with bottles on it if I'm on my own or if I'm running with a group I'll leave bottles of water or Lucozade in someone's car.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Well done everyone :) I have decided to replace one of my gym days (usually go to the gym 3 days a week and then swim 3/4 days a week) with running. Was supposed to be today but today is going to be sleeping/college projects day :/ And it's a pity because it's so sunny.

I drink loads of water all day and this is only half an hour so I don't bring anything.

You can get one of those little belts with mini water bottles in a sports shop if you need it though

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote: »
    I started doing this last year and got from couch to about 3km before moving house and forgetting about it. Really want to start the program again as it was excellent. Can someone recommend podcasts with pop tunes as I find it difficult to exercise to trance music.

I downloaded the C25k app by Bluefin software from the android app store. It's an app that you can have your own music (I find some pop, dance and some quick rock songs keep me going! :) ) in the background but every so often you get a little bell and a man saying "walk" or "run". I feel like one of Pavlov's dogs running around!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

Should one refrain from doing other exercise whilst doing the C25K plan?

Should one refrain from doing other exercise whilst doing the C25K plan?

Yoga, pilates, swimming, cycling or weight training would all complement it well, no harm in a bit of cross training.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

Yoga, pilates, swimming, cycling or weight training would all complement it well, no harm in a bit of cross training.

Exercise bike? It's low impact so would it be OK?

Yup, that would be fine. The only things I'd be concerned about would be other high-impact sports while your body is still adjusting to running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Anyone have any footwear recommendations? I actually don't own a pair of runners... :o

Novella wrote: »
    Anyone have any footwear recommendations? I actually don't own a pair of runners... :o

You would be best off going to a running-specific store (Runways on Parnell Street or Amphibian King in Bray would be your best choices if you live in Dublin) and asking them for recommendations. Different shoes will suit different people, depending on foot type, weight and other factors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is it advisable to get a gait-analysis?

Was sent this. http://www.realbuzz.com/articles/top-10-tips-on-buying-running-shoes/

Starting W4D1 when it gets dark. I'm quite scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Downloaded this app at the weekend from iTunes so starting it tomorrow. I have decided to do the mini marathon in June so need to get my ass is gear.

I have bad joints though so dont know if I'll be able to do it but gonna try :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ok, I discovered the distance I usually cover is about 4 km in total including the warm up and warm downs. If I can manage to run that whole thing, I'll be set!
    Not today though, today is w6d1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Rainbow Kirby - I did the 5K OT Run on Sat and yesterday i was like a weasel!! is that normal!! or am i just a grumpy old woman???!!! :eek:

Could be any number of reasons for it really - if you enjoyed the day on Saturday I wouldn't necessarily put it down to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Wasn't feeling well earlier but decided to go for my run anyway and see how far I got. Managed it fairly easily and I feel SO much better now!:D

ohhh god my poor calves :eek::eek: i cant walk lol
    I'm going to do those calf step-exercises :rolleyes:

Well, I pushed it this evening. I ran at a much more respectable speed!
    I did have to take a few 10-20second pauses :o But I'm pleased at how I did, it nearly KILLED me but I did it :D:D:D
    I covered a good bit more distance than even my 20 min runs, and this was a total of 18 mins running tonight so it's a big improvement.

I think the fact I did 20 min runs on saturday AND sunday without a rest didn't help.

I finished off with an all-out sprint for a minute at the end as usual, it feels so good to really stretch out my legs :D

Oh man, that's awesome :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,746 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Right. So I was *meant* to go to yoga tonight. But as I was walking home all I could see was bright blue, clear skies. And I thought to myself "Fcuk it. I'm not going to spend an evening like this in a stuffy, incensey room lying down and falling over."

So a good 40 minutes, and 3/4 successful runs, I feel like I made the right choice.

After 3 weeks of running training I am up to a comfortable 5 minutes. :D (Which says a lot because when I first started out 2 minutes nearly killed me :o)

But, yeah...I'm going to be feeling it in the morning :pac:

EDIT - Sod "in the morning", I'm feeling it NOW!! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

"Fcuk it. I'm not going to spend an evening like this in a stuffy, incensey room lying down and falling over.
    That made me laugh so much.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Mollikins

Yayy! tLL has a running thread now!

I’m starting C25K tomorrow! :D
    All the talk about it in the emotions thread has gotten to me. (I'm looking at you bluewolf! :pac:)

I downloaded the podcasts onto my I-pod one day last week. I was still dithering about it but I mentioned the programme to my Mam and she said she would try it with me so we are gonna do it together! Having company means I'm much more likely to stick with it.

I’m really looking forward to it but at the same time I’m not because I’m not sure my legs even know how to run and I’m pretty sure I’m gonna be a panting mess after it. :o

I'll let ye know how it goes anyway. :)

My legs are aching today!! Worse still i have stairs to walk up and down all day...its a killer!! I dunno how ill feel after my run tomorrow...it will be my first night run!! Im excited!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

W2D1 complete this evening. It was tough, but I did the full length of all the runs. Even the recovery walks are getting slightly more brisk-like.

After the third run I was thinking "god, I'm getting tired now" and she goes "you might be getting tired now". She's a mind-reader now as well, apparently :D

W4D1 done. It was actually a lot easier than I had thought - I'm certainly gaining back my fitness and stamina, that I lost! It feels good. Now to do some more exercising.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kaffy

Hey not trying to plug elverys or anything but this might be helpful to people starting off :)
    http://www.elverys.ie/aspx/Content.aspx?id=489

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

I've started going to the gym in the last couple weeks & thinking of trying the c25k on the treadmill. Would love to be able to run! What kind of pace do you start off at, as in will jogging do?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

mariebeth wrote: »
    I've started going to the gym in the last couple weeks & thinking of trying the c25k on the treadmill. Would love to be able to run! What kind of pace do you start off at, as in will jogging do?

Will jogging do? If not then I've been doing it all wrong!

I've never jogged/run before in my life before starting this. So my "run" is the slowest jog that ever existed in the history of the world (might be a slight exaggeration, but not by much!). But it's faster than my walking speed, and it's challenging, so it counts.

• Advertisement

Yeah my jogging is stumbling along slightly faster than walking. Hence my post earlier about trying to work on speed, something less embarrassing :pac:

Advertisement