Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

• 19-02-2011 7:20pm
    Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There's been an awful lot of running talk in the emotions thread lately, with a lot of our regulars beginning Couch to 5k, and others with major races coming up, so I figured I'd start a separate thread. Bit of motivation never hurts anyone :)

(also wanted to suggest a possible tLL beers/coffee/meetup/whatever after the St Patrick's weekend 5k :pac: )

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

yay our own thread!
    :D:D

Anyone who is thinking of c25k: do it!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Ohai running thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Y'know, having read so many mentions of this in the emotions thread, I'd actually really like to give it a go myself. :)

Novella wrote: »
    Y'know, having read so many mentions of this in the emotions thread, I'd actually really like to give it a go myself. :)

The more the merrier! I'm only a week into C25K and I'm already glad I started. In another few weeks I might have changed my mind!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The program

Podcasts

:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm a total addict already. I did a 20 min run today and I'm dying to go out again!
    I might go tomorrow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Scibelle

I've just started the C25K so I'll be logging on here and in the Athletics thread for inspiration and motivation! You've all been brilliant so far in relation to encouraging people to take it up and keep it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I've been meaning to do couch to 5k for months. Started it during the Summer but got distracted after a few weeks :/ I'm doing a lot of irish dancing at the moment but my major comp will be over in a few weeks and I'll have more time to give this a go. Seriously need to get fitter!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

It's great that this has its own thread now. I'm only at W1 at the moment but am enjoying it already! Seriously cannot picture myself running non-stop for 20mins though...:eek:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    It's great that this has its own thread now. I'm only at W1 at the moment but am enjoying it already! Seriously cannot picture myself running non-stop for 20mins though...:eek:

Everyone says that in week one. Everyone says that after week 5 day 2. Yet they all manage it... trust me, you will be fine when you get there :)

• Advertisement

Starting Week 4 on Monday.

Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

What are peoples thought on the c25k app for android? I was thinking of downloading it to my phone? Does anyone have it? If so what is it like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Yes :D I started it last week and already feeling good I just wish the weather would stay on my side :rolleyes:

What are peoples thought on the c25k app for android? I was thinking of downloading it to my phone? Does anyone have it? If so what is it like?

I don't know if they're on android, but if you have an iPod you should download the NHS C25K podcasts. They're wonderful!

I don't know if they're on android, but if you have an iPod you should download the NHS C25K podcasts. They're wonderful!

I recommend Ullrey's podcasts

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Fair play to you all, I can't run/jog due to a hip injury that is long term.

Lovely to see so many people so interested in getting fit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Stheno wrote: »
    Fair play to you all, I can't run/jog due to a hip injury that is long term.

On yer bike Stheno!

Much lower impact so your hip might cope...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

cdaly_ wrote: »
    On yer bike Stheno!

Much lower impact so your hip might cope...

Weights will help me, I'm severely double jointed, so need to build up muscle to make up for lack of cartilage :D In my younger pre hip injury days I used play rugby, twas great. I need to do weight bearing exercise due to the double jointed ness but have to be careful of the hip. Thankfully my three legged dog has to be walked at high speed.

Love cycling too, and rowing machines, rowing machines are my favourite. Planning to get a personal trainer, then enough kit at home for weights and rowing that I'm not time constrained, I spend a lot of time in work/commuting so that will work for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Commuting's the only chance I get for exercise at all. 28km round trip on the bike 5 days per week. Should do...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kaffy

well seeing as there is a thread just for the c25k :D id better get my but in gear!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I see that week 5/6 in the NSH C25k has three seperate podcasts, is that for some extra motivation in case they give up just over half way?
    bluewolf wrote: »
    I recommend Ullrey's podcasts
    Thanks bluewolf! :)

I see that week 5/6 in the NSH C25k has three seperate podcasts, is that for some extra motivation in case they give up just over half way?

Thanks bluewolf! :)

There are 3 podcasts cos there are three different routines for weeks 5 and 6, you run different things each day
    Ullrey just keeps it all in one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I only downloaded the program yesterday.
    I can treadmill run no problem, but road running i just cant do.
    Will be coming on this thread loads now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Lynnsie

I really want to start this and have downloaded podcasts, now I just need to find somewhere that's safe to run while it's still dark in the evenings and isn't broken up by traffic lights every 2 minutes :rolleyes: Roll on summertime!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I'd like to do this as well.

I was on W4D1 a couple of weeks ago but gave it up as I was hating running in the cold (good excuse, yes??).

I need something to get my ass in gear again.

I really need to go back to week 3 as I was managing it, but still struggling. I'll start that this week.

Thanks OP. Great idea.

The only question i have is, how do you time yourself?
    I dont have watch or anything

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    The only question i have is, how do you time yourself?
    I dont have watch or anything

The podcasts... on your ipod if you have one... tells you when to walk and when to run.

So can you listen to music at the same time as the podcast?

Some podcasts you just put your own music on the playlist and it'll beep to tell you when to switch
    Some like ullreys, they come with music on them already and he just talks over it when telling you "time to run now" or "time to walk now"

• Advertisement

The podcasts have their own music. They're free as well so you can check the different ones out and pick the one you prefer.

Advertisement