Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self installing Sky +?

• 15-06-2005 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭

I'm contemplating getting sky plus, and i'm just wondering about the options available to me. Right now the current sky offer is €150 for the box, an extra €10 on my sub (i dont have movies/sports) and free install if i go for multiroom.

I was also considering the self install option, purchasing a quad lnb and sky + box and setting it up myself (i'm competent enough in these matters)

my questions are:

1. do i need a new sky sub/card for sky + or can i use my exisiting card?

2. is the self install worth it to save a few quid, if i even save anything?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

We got a box of ebay (sky +) We didn't need a new sub, just used our original one and upgraded to the movie pack and told sky we wanted sky + activated. We don't have a quad lnb yet, but can record using the single one as long as we are on the same channel we are recording. We will probably get a quad in a few weeks, just wanted to test the plus box out first as it was sold with a faulty hard drive. Its great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

the box sky+ comes says it is "not suitable for self-install"
    in other words, you must pay us to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Two conflicting reports there, hmmm I presume they say "not suitable for self install" as you have to fit a quad lnb? (something i can do)

dmeehan are you an installer?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Two conflicting reports there, hmmm I presume they say "not suitable for self install" as you have to fit a quad lnb? (something i can do)

Its well worth having a go yourself as long as you dont move the dish by being careless it will be fine, you could always call an installer afterwards if you encounter difficulty

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

god no, got sky installed on monday and the box is still sitting in the living room :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Tony wrote:
    Its well worth having a go yourself as long as you dont move the dish by being careless it will be fine, you could always call an installer afterwards if you encounter difficulty

Tony,
    I have a quad with two boxes (irish and uk cards) off it. If I pick up a sky+ box do I just need to run another cable from one of the free feeds on the lnb to the back of the sky+box? I assume there are two inputs to the sky+ box.

thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Dr. Nick wrote:
    Tony,
    I have a quad with two boxes (irish and uk cards) off it. If I pick up a sky+ box do I just need to run another cable from one of the free feeds on the lnb to the back of the sky+box? I assume there are two inputs to the sky+ box.

thanks in advance.

you need two feeds for sky+ to work with all its features but it will view channels and do live pause with just one feed

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Advertisement