Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sky+ Input 1 not staying locked + misc problems

Options
  • 13-06-2005 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

A couple of weeks ago in the middle of a programme (on a sunny calm day) I lost the signal completely on all RTE channels and later that afternoon, they came back with a lot of pixellation.

I went up the ladder + had a look, couldnt see anything wrong and thought that maybe RTE was having transmission problems as all other channels seemed fine.

A couple of days passed and no improvement so I had a look again, checked the signal + noticed that Input1 wasnt holding a lock, fading in for no more than a few seconds every so often, with Input 2 at about 40% strength / 60% quality.

I checked the box at a neighbours house + got good signals on both tuners so discounted that as a problem.

In the meantime, I swapped over cables several times both on the dish + on the box and RTE eventually came back perfectly but now Sky1, Sky1 Mix etc are gone!!!!

Back up the ladder + noticed that there was lots of condensation inside the opaque plastic LNB cover - so got myself a new Thomson quad from eBay + put it up earlier this evening.
    Instantly the signal improved drastically (80% on Input2), but am still being told "no satellite signal being received" on Sky1 etc.

I brought a portable tv + the sky+ box outside and connected directly to the lnb to check if the cables are the problem but no change.
    Right now I think it must be the Input1 tuner but I dont understand how the fault switched from RTE to Sky.

I've done housekeeping twice, run the new installation but nothing seems to help.

The box is a Pace 3.024 which I have about 18 months and bought from a sat shop in Dublin and installed myself.

Is anyone familiar with this situation?
    Is my box shagged?
    What are my options?

Cheers
    Clanc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

did you try connecting the lead from lnb 2 input to lnb 1 input and vise versa. if this still does not work, and you have changed the lnb, the box is most definitley on the way out. Try doing a software upgrade on it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Clanc

I got a chance to test the box again tonight at another neighbour's .

Nothing on Input 1 and 80% on Input 2.

Does anyone know where I could get the tuner repaired or replaced in Ireland? I've seen some UK sites advertising for in the region of £40 but with postage that can mount up fast.

And I sold my old sky box only recently so can't use that as backup :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

In Dublin:
    F.M.S. VIDEO & T.V. LIMITED
    3 ARRAN QUAY, DUBLIN 7.

In NI:
    http://www.digirepairs.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Clanc

After all of this...I decided to try housekeeping one more time (3 times already as well as forced update) and guess what? The bloody thing is now working fine again!!!
    I wonder how many people end up buying new boxes to replace units that are being temperamental rather than needing replacement...

Advertisement