Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Banned 1 Month

Options
  • 21-09-2014 6:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

hi, I have been banned for one month from Health sciences. I have Pm'd with Sam34 about this, he has said that once a mod gives a warning, it has to stop. In this case Sam34 gave no warning at all. His first post closed the thread.

I believe that this is a completely unfair ban.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

I would love to give examples to demonstrate my point, but i am unable to see the board

The thread i started was breaking none of the rules, it was not in violation of the charter. And as stated I had received no warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

2 options to post those links:

1. Log out, access the forum, copy and paste the links somewhere, then log back in and post your case here.

2. Use a different browser to browse the forum while logged out, then post your links here.

This was the Pm I received from Sam34:

"Dear sleepyheadh,

You have been banned from Health Sciences for one month for ignoring a moderator's instructions.

Discussion can become heated, we don't object to that, but when a moderator issues a warning on a thread to reign things in, it stops a heated discussion from turning into a mess.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

sam34
    "

This is the link to the thread that i received the ban for: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057294258&page=2

As you can see there were no warnings raised. No rules were being violated. In fact was mainly talking to another mod for Legal discussions!

And Sam34's first interaction in the thread was to close the thread and ban myself for one month.

• Advertisement

Sam34's main point is that it is the policy of boards to not allow medical advice. I do not see why I am not allowed to talk about the rule. I am only creating a dialogue. And I think in all honesty I was making some good points, with regards to the claim of negligent misstatement.

It is just like this: Murder is illegal in Ireland. In Sam34's mind it should also be illegal to talk about murder, or in fact the law itself in anyway.

All I am doing is talking about why murder is illegal in Ireland, and discussing reasons why maybe it shouldn't be. If you excuse the crude example.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Hi sleepyheadh. I see that you received a 1-month ban in Health Sciences. It appears that you may have exchanged PMs with mod sam34 in an attempt to resolve this issue? Is there any chance that it may still be resolved by PM between you? If not, I can proceed with my review in the next couple of days. Please advise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Hi sleepyheadh,
    I've sent you 3 PMs asking for additional information regarding this appeal, but you have failed to reply. The mods replied quickly. Do you wish me to move ahead with my review without additional input from you? Or do you wish to comment further in the interests of your appeal? Please advise.

My points have been raised above.

My points have been raised above.
    Thanks for replying sleepyheadh. I will proceed with the review, which should be competed this weekend.

• Advertisement

Hi sleepyheadh. Thanks for your patience while this review has been conducted. I've reviewed the 2 threads that pertained to this specific 1-month ban (now merged), PMs exchanged between you and mods, the Health Sciences charter (and a related stickied guideline about not giving medical advice), board's FAQs, and exchanged a few PMs with the mods and you during this process.
    In this case Sam34 gave no warning at all.
    Let's step through the timeline regarding the 2 threads (started by you) in Health Sciences to address if in fact you had been warned.
    1. You opened the 1st thread with the title "Tedious and repetitive moaning" 21 September 2014 05:16 PST.
    2. Mod sam34 closed this thread 21 September 2014 09:47 PST issuing the following in-thread warning to you:
    3. sam34 wrote: »
      Don't start a similar thread in here again.
    4. You opened the 2nd thread with the title "Well That's Settled" referring to your 1st closed thread (above) 21 September 2014 10:04 PST, approximately 17 minutes after receiving the above quoted sam34 in-thread warning.
    5. Mod sam34 issued a 1-month ban for "ignoring mod instruction" 21 September 2014 10:24 PST, after you had ignored the above quoted mod warning by starting your 2nd thread.
    Now that we have established that you received an in-thread warning and ignored mod instruction in this specific case, was this 1-month ban "completely unfair" as you claim here? You had received numerous past warnings about not discussing moderation in-thread, in addition to a yellow card (17 July 2014) and a 1-week ban (23 July 2014) both for ignoring mod instructions recently in Health Sciences. It follows that to continue such behaviour would result in a more lengthy ban for repeated offenses (i.e., 1-month).

In addition to ignoring in-thread mod instruction, both 2 threads that you had started in Health Sciences were for the sole purpose of discussing moderation in-thread, which is not allowed by most forums within boards.

And lastly, "Don't start a similar thread in here again" (Health Sciences) that in-thread discusses moderation of (not) giving medical advice. Giving medical advice is against the guidelines of boards.ie FAQ and the Health Sciences charter. If you wish to discuss why boards does not allow giving medical advice in their forums, you may consider opening a thread in Feedback, but not in Health Sciences per above (quoted) mod instructions, or you may be banned for longer periods of time, including a possible permanent ban.

Conclusion: 1-month ban upheld. You may accept this ban, learn from it, and move on; or you may request that Admin review it. Please advise.

Hi sleepyheadh,
    It's been a month since I've heard from you. The 1-month ban has expired. Do you wish Admin review or close this DRP? If I don't hear from you within a week, I will request that this DRP be closed. Please advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭trout

I'm marking this as closed; 1 month ban was justified and has since expired.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement