Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Che Guevara Statue In Galway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Is he the guy that makes the t-shirts?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The council of Galway, a placid community on Ireland's west coast

makes it sound like somewhere Frodo stopped off on his way to Mount Doom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

jesus christ galway, fail harder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

Bloody reds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Anything that pisses off right wing Cuban exiles is okay by me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Will people ever stop raping the man's image? Why dont they just put up a statue of a Nirvana smiley face next to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

The whole iconic image thing doesn't work so well in bronze.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The man is a mercenary who was directly involved in or ordered the murder and torture of thousands of people in several countries.

Seaneh wrote: »
    The man is a mercenary who was directly involved in or ordered the murder and torture of thousands of people in several countries.

Mercenary? You do know he was a Communist right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

You know i'd love to see a statue of him standing on the pulpet adressing the U.N.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

krudler wrote: »
    makes it sound like somewhere Frodo stopped off on his way to Mount Doom.

They mustn't have seen the video from Rag week in supermacs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Who's paying for this? If its the local authority, I can only remain unsurprised, their entire traffic management scheme is a giant communist plot, and played a significant role in turning me into a devout capitalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Seaneh wrote: »

Seaneh is right che was the chief interrogater And torturer for Castro altogether he was not a nice man to be around. But he looks good on a t shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 25,042 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The Tea Party-goers in the US are up in arms over it

for this reason alone I'm in favor of the statue :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

His real name is Shea O'Mara.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Normally I would be opposed to the building of a monument to Guevara in any community, but seeing as it is pi$$ing off "fantasist and narcissist" Kevin Myers so much, I now think every town in Ireland should have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Fran1985 wrote: »
    They mustn't have seen the video from Rag week in supermacs

the war of the snackbox? an oft told tale for years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The joys of the comments section:

Che was a Communist. Galway built a statue to honor a Communist. Galway is sister city to Chicago, Milwaukee and Seattle. Chicago, Milwaukee and Seattle all supported Obama in 2008. Therefore, Obama is a Communist. This is clearer than the birth certificate situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Mercenary? You do know he was a Communist left right?

If he ever got to run Cuba, he would have used the Russian nukes on the US and not sent them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Usually people will say Dublin city forum that way. I'm not going to say that though....Galway city forum that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Could they not find someone with a slightly less tenuous link to Galway tribes?...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

poisonated wrote: »
    Usually people will say Dublin city forum that way. I'm not going to say that though....Galway city forum that way.

:confused:<<<<<??????????>>>> Havana Forum<<<<<?????????>><<>:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Guevara was a rampant egomaniacal murderer

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Plans to erect a Che statue in Galway has caused outrage in florida.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/01/che-guevara-statue-galway_n_1313568.html

I say that they should mind their own business and **** off, Che is one of the most influential figures of the 20th century and galway should be proud of it's connection to him.

What connection is that? the latin 1/4?
    Lahinch should erect one if it hasn't done so already

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Pretty pathetic to be honest. We must come across as a ****e nation when we keep clinging onto these ridiculous connections to famous people (Che, Obama, Ali, etc.).

Also, didn't he execute people at a whim and loot their corpses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Guevara was a rampant egomaniacal murderer

He was a sexy rampant egomaniacal murderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

full_irish wrote: »
    Could they not find someone with a slightly less tenuous link to Galway tribes?...

lord haw haw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭GombeanMan

Guevara was a murdering scumbag. I find the people who idolise this guy tend to either share his murderous sociopathic views, or are simply naive. **** Che Guevara. The statue will be a icon for Communists. Nobody else will care.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If he ever got to run Cuba, he would have used the Russian nukes on the US and not sent them back.

You're ability to see alternate realities intrigues me.

However Che would never have 'run' Cuba as he was third, arguably fourth, in command of the revolution. That plus the fact that he wasn't Cuban, was fanatically supportive of Castro and was only ever interested in revolutionary combat and not governing, as his time as a minister showed.

Some big historical inaccuracies in this thread already. He wasn't 'chief interogator and torturer either' but hey, whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

The joys of the comments section:

Che was a Communist. Galway built a statue to honor a Communist. Galway is sister city to Chicago, Milwaukee and Seattle. Chicago, Milwaukee and Seattle all supported Obama in 2008. Therefore, Obama is a Communist. This is clearer than the birth certificate situation.

You've got to be ripping the piss that that's in there!!

Advertisement