Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mosney Train Station

Options
  • 28-06-2006 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know why the train station at Mosney appears to be closed. Mosney is now a large asylum centre. However, people there are free to come and go. I suspect it has something to do with the length of the platform but I could be wrong. I've seen many people waiting for the bus out near Gormanston, on the old N1. It is a good walk from the camp to the bus stop, especially if you are pushing a kid in a buggy etc. I was speaking to my sister who works there who was telling me about some guy who walked to Balbriggan - a 4 hour round trip. Yes I know he could have got the bus etc. But there is a public transport amenity on camp which is unused. Will it cost IE too much to employ a station master?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Mosney is a halt, unstaffed currently but still technically open. It does not require a station master it would be under the control of Ballbriggan. Services in the past were provided on a mostly seasonal basis not at rush hours, once Mosney closed services were withdrawn

The platform is an issue since Mosney only has one platform which is a problem for Dublin bound trains crossing in front of Drogheda bound trains, if I remember the layout correctly. I haven't got the length to hand but no 8 coach train was ever timetabled to call there, the vast majority of trains are now 8 coaches so its likely the platform would need to be extended and rebuilt to modern standards

Not much use complaining unless you actually would use the station, if those living/working in Mosney where to make a request they might get somewhere that said at rush hour its sardines and I doubt the existing passengers would welcome yet more passengers still though off peak there should be no trouble once the platform issue is resolved

Edit

For reference the service planning manager for the line is Michael Power, General Manager Cal Carmichael, both Connolly Station Dublin 2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Maybe Phelim and Elizabeth McCloskey (Monsey PLC) could spend some of the 10 million euro in tarrifs they take in each year on a station upgrade and employ a station master.

The station technically is a private station built by Mosney in 1948. Very few stations have station masters most stations are under the control of a nearby station of importance.

2 ticket vending machines on the platform, resurface and extend, problem solved but there is no capacity for extra passengers at peak hours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

MarkoP11 wrote:
    The station technically is a private station built by Mosney in 1948. Very few stations have station masters most stations are under the control of a nearby station of importance.

2 ticket vending machines on the platform, resurface and extend, problem solved but there is no capacity for extra passengers at peak hours

I beg but to ask the Bleeding Obvious question....but is there the traffic to warrant either trains stopping at Mosney anymore, or the extension of the platform? I recall not too long ago that trains used Mosney as a terminus to and from Dublin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭अधिनायक

Hamndegger wrote:
    I beg but to ask the Bleeding Obvious question....but is there the traffic to warrant either trains stopping at Mosney anymore, or the extension of the platform? I recall not too long ago that trains used Mosney as a terminus to and from Dublin...
    Depends on the population and travel patterns of the residents. There were 850 residents there two years ago. They are not allowed to work, so may not take up peak services. I guess they are unlikely to own cars.

Maybe IE would be unwilling to invest in a station as nobody knows its future status. My guess is that Mosney will be developed for commuter housing in the not too distant future and the asylum seekers moved to more isolated accommodation.

Can capacity on this bit of track not be increased as more slots open in Connolly, following the opening of Docklands station? Is this station really due to open next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

developers pay to open IE stations these days so why should IE do it off there own bat is the thinking I suspect.

??????? wrote:
    Depends on the population and travel patterns of the residents. There were 850 residents there two years ago. They are not allowed to work, so may not take up peak services. I guess they are unlikely to own cars.
    36 * population in '000's is the simple version of the demand model its not looking good

Can capacity on this bit of track not be increased as more slots open in Connolly, following the opening of Docklands station? Is this station really due to open next year?
    Docklands won't make the slightest difference, its not lack of track space, its a lack of trains

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

My guess is that Mosney will be developed for commuter housing in the not too distant future and the asylum seekers moved to more isolated accommodation.

The future sale and development of Gormanston army camp will also lead to a need for the station to be developed.

MarkoP11 wrote:
    36 * population in '000's is the simple version of the demand model its not looking good
    Do you mean that expected daily passenger numbers are approximately 36 per thousand of population in an Irish town?
    Docklands won't make the slightest difference, its not lack of track space, its a lack of trains
    Fair enough. I didn't know that.

It only applies to the Dublin region

For the Dublin subruban belt Arup did a study and came up with some math based on existing passenger demand

Daily boarding = 301.6 +0.027 * population -3.143 * journey time

In simple terms 36 times population in thousands gives you a rough estimate

For Mosney its works out as about 120 people which is too high since the regession model assumes a minimal demand irrespective of population

I am aware that a big development is planned in Bettystown and they will seek a station.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

MarkoP11 wrote:

Marko, I think the issue of peak time capacity is irrelevant for Mosney. The inmates (?) don't have jobs so they wouldn't necessarily be using peak time services.

They don't have cars and they're all within walking distance of the station so the model would hardly apply.

Advertisement