Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2012 Cooking Club Week 33: Red Velvet Cake

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Faith wrote: »
    Philadelphia have reduced the fat content to 20% or so
    The utter &*$%£&'s!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

2014-09-18%2018.15.53_zpspok2vsdb.jpg

Damn you cream cheese!

9%? Ah, here. Do I have to whip lard into my next batch of frosting now?

mmmmmlard....

"Now even creamier" should've been "but makes your frosting lumpy"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    "Now even creamier" should've been "but makes your frosting lumpy"

Yep, it's been reduced from 9g fat per 30g to 6.5g. That's the problem right there.

Check the nutritional values of supermarket brands like tesco and Aldi. They might still have the higher fat contents.

• Advertisement

I scraped off the frosting on top, left some on the side. Seems to harden today, it's delicious I have say. Can't get over how airy light this cake is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Planning on making this for my family christmas party next weekend :) Someone on here before (I think Magic Monkey) pointed me in the direction of Polish/Eastern European shops for cake flour (maka tortowa)

This is the version I usually buy (handy cake on the front so I know which one to pick up

pzz-s-a-1kg-maka-pszenna-tortowa.jpg

I might compare the protein content of this to tritamyl flour to see if it matches up cos it's a lot cheaper than a bag of tritamyl

Just a heads-up - I was reading this thread yesterday, then what did I see last night in Supervalu on Merchant Quay but the Polish cake flour?

And it's only 78c for a 1kg bag - bargain!

photo_zpsdc760037.jpg?t=1411636488

I've a question though - can I make the cake in a Magimix? I don't have a stand mixer.
    I love my Magimix but it only has one speed - very, very fast.

quaalude wrote: »
    I've a question though - can I make the cake in a Magimix? I don't have a stand mixer.
    I love my Magimix but it only has one speed - very, very fast.
    Um. I've made dough in the magimix (they're fantastic!) before but it was for pasta and very high gluten was required, whereas in a cake, well, you're making cake, not bread.

You could use it to cream the butter and sugar, and when you get to the stage where you're mixing in the flours and liquids, stop, take the creamed mix out of the magimix and transfer it to a large mixing bowl and then start adding in the flours and liquids and folding them in by hand - that part isn't very strenous and you might even get lighter results because you're folding by hand so there's less gluten forming if you do it right (ie. not over-mixing it).

Sparks wrote: »
    Um. I've made dough in the magimix (they're fantastic!) before but it was for pasta and very high gluten was required, whereas in a cake, well, you're making cake, not bread.

You could use it to cream the butter and sugar, and when you get to the stage where you're mixing in the flours and liquids, stop, take the creamed mix out of the magimix and transfer it to a large mixing bowl and then start adding in the flours and liquids and folding them in by hand - that part isn't very strenous and you might even get lighter results because you're folding by hand so there's less gluten forming if you do it right (ie. not over-mixing it).

Deadly - thanks Sparks!

Just a note on cream cheese, Aldi ones are 11% (7.7g) and the result is much better than Philly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Made this tonight after seeing the thread bumped, they've gone down a treat even though I under filled the cupcakes so ended up with mini cakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

I'm on Merchants Quay and I don't see a SuperValu.

Where have I gone wrong?

(looking for that polish flour)

Um, that was three years ago, it might have closed/moved since.
    Just get anything marked "cake flour" or "gluten-free flour" or "Tritamyl flour", it'll do the same job. If you have a choice, get the cake flour.

Oh! Well I feel like a dumbass!!!

Thanks for that. This cake looks a riot to make,(a bloody riot,at that).

Unless it's closed, then it's between Dunnes Stores and Debenhams.

Faith wrote: »
    Unless it's closed, then it's between Dunnes Stores and Debenhams.

Yeah, must be different one. I was on the Merchants Quay up from Wood Quay.

Edit.
    Polish shop on the SCR at Dolphins Barn, €1.19.
    Will post a photo when finished. Ta much.

Oh wait, I assumed you meant Merchant's Quay in Cork, but you must have meant another one.

Ah, that would be it!
    I wonder shall I break in the new oven with it tomorrow??? ðŸ°

Sparks wrote: »
    Um, that was three years ago, it might have closed/moved since.
    Just get anything marked "cake flour" or "gluten-free flour" or "Tritamyl flour", it'll do the same job. If you have a choice, get the cake flour.

I posted about SuperValu just 9 months ago - it's still there, and so is the flour!

Made it this evening. The cake part. Will post photos tomorrow. Wurkin' de night shift. bummer...

Well, iced it all up and took a few photos. Only problem is, with this new, all buttons, all lights, all options new camera that I bought on my recent holidays I'm having trouble getting the pics from the camera to the laptop. which is a bother.

Other than that, it was an enjoyable bake. I was apprehensive enough to change into old jeans and teeshirt! But I don't have a 4 year old to contend with while baking. Maybe that was the difference.

It tastes great. I only managed two slices before I got an attack of the sugar rushes!!! My partner came home from work this evening and managed half a slice. So, I may have to finish the diabetes inducing rest of it by myself!

If my mother makes it to her next birthday I'll make it as a family cake. You need willing mouths and I think it'd be a resounding success. It was a resounding success for me this evening. If I can manage to access the photos, I'll edit them in again at a later date.

Thanks, Sparks.

• Advertisement

Couldn't edit previous post so bumping it to the top again,

P6231142_zpscdl1vpvo.jpg

all wrapped up
    P6231143_zps4ru5ulwd.jpg

End view...
    P6231144_zpsycgwperf.jpg

Slicing it was tricky.
    P6231146_zpsxprhvkrq.jpg
    I ended up eating all bar half a slice myself. god it's sweet! I still have the Polish flour. Don't know what I can use it in. Anyone any suggestions? Basic stuff, like...

Any kind of cake really, it works for almost all sponges. Any kind of cake where there's something suspended in the mix (like say, blueberry muffins) you'd need to cut it with plain flour though. Also, when making up batters for deep frying it works quite well (especially if you throw a shot of vodka into the beer).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cakeycakerson

Hi all, found this thread on a search for a red velvet recipe for himself's birthday. I know it's been a while since it was active, but just wondering about the fact that a couple of you said it was quite sweet. Should I use any less sugar or is it the right amount? I know the OP has gone to a lot of trouble and it's tried and tested so I'm reluctant to mess around with the ingredients. I've got a sweet tooth and a good sugar threshold, but the inlaws may not have! If any of you guys are still on the thread that have made this I'd be curious to know what you think.
    That said, if it's too sweet for them, that means more cake for me....!

I'd go with the original recipe. Only you can decide for yourself after that...
    Still, more for you, as you say!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cailin_milis

tampopo wrote: »
    I'd go with the original recipe. Only you can decide for yourself after that...
    Still, more for you, as you say!

Thanks for the reply. I did follow the recipe and it went down a treat! Even mammy-in-law to be, who isn't a cake fan, kept going back for more. The whole lot was hoovered in a couple of days and I've had requests to make it again. The only mistake I made was using food colouring liquid instead of gel, so it was more of a brown velvet cake. Still delish though!

If it makes you feel any better cailin, the bright red colour is not the original colour and it's totally fake (and started off being totally fake too). The original recipe was more of a dull brick red at best, and got the colour from the acid reacting with the cocoa powder. Then the great depression hit in the US, the proper cocoa powder got more expensive, and people faked having it by colouring the cake with food colouring. By the time that was past, people were used to the colour and kept it with food colouring. Problem these days is that people just add the food colouring to what would otherwise be something like sponge or maderia, and there's no chocolate at all in it. Abomination!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cailin_milis

I read all that alright during my recipe googling. I was disappointed initially because the cake was supposed to be a big surprise, but I had to explain what it was because it looked like a not-very-chocolatey chocolate cake. Even had gone undercover to ask my original question cos he's on Boards!
    All disappointment vanished with the taste test though. It's so so good, especially the frosting, which is like crack! Requests are already in to make it again for Christmas. Thanks again for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

Sparks, do you have the recipe for the frosting you use? I can't make it out from the original post. I want to try the cake at the weekend for a birthday party. Thanks!

Sure, it was this bit:
    300g Philadelphia (one tub, basicly)
    114g unsalted butter, cut into cubes (that's just the other half of the packet of butter you used to make the cake - told you this was easy)
    Now beat that on high until it goes from looking like solid blocks to looking like really really thick whipped cream. Now, add in
    2 tsp vanilla essence
    and let it continue beating for a minute, then slowly add in
    300g of powdered sugar (icing sugar)
    Do it slowly, a tablespoon at a time at first. You don't have to add it so slowly and carefully I suppose; but by this stage your kitchen is probably covered in flour, red food colouring, eggs and buttermilk, and adding a thin mist of powdered sugar over everything is probably going to snap your wife's last nerve before you have the cake to hide behind (this cake makes an excellent shield, by the way). So do it slowly. Beat on high once the sugar is in, until the mix looks homogenous, then turn off the stand mixer, and move the bowl into the fridge for ten minutes before you slather the frosting all over the cake, the board, your hands, and a slice of toast (don't judge me).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 EJD

Sorry to resurrect this thread again but am planning on making this cake today, I have both plain and self raising gluten free flour - can this be used instead of the Tritamyl flour, and if so which one? Thanks!

Advertisement