Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice places for lunch around/outside Dublin

• 15-04-2014 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm taking an elderly but fit relative out for lunch, and am looking for suggestions of nice cafes/restaurants with gardens or garden centres attached or nearby. Probably within an hours drive of Dublin. Also bad weather alternatives! The main thing I suppose is that the cafe isn't full of hard surfaces which reflect sound and make it difficult to hear each other - the National Gallery is terrible for this.

I've a few thought of already, but I don't always know the quality/price/ambiance so if you have any info, do let me know:
    • Avoca cafe in Kilmacanoge
    • Mount Ussher
    • Malahide Castle
    • National Garden Centre (somewhere on way to Kilmacanogue)
    • Powerscourt House
    • Botanic Gardens

For bad weather:
    • Afternoon tea in the Shelbourne.
    • The Hugh Lane Gallery cafe on Parnell Square.
    • Restaurant on Skerries harbour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

On the south side I would say ;

Hunters Hotel
    or
    Tinnakilly House - both just outside Rathnew - about 50 minutes from Dublin

On the Northside I would recommend Malahide Garden Centre or the Phoenix Park Visitors Centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Nice thread, taking notes for future reference. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Indoors:

Chester Beatty Library

Coffee and a scone upstairs in "1014" overlooking the Wooden Bridge onto Bull Island
    Red Hare wrote: »
    Hunters Hotel
    Shushhhhh! Don't be telling people about Hunters or I'll never get my favourite table again.
    Fell in love with Hunters when I discovered that when you stay overnight not only do the staff turn down your bed but they also set and lit the bedroom fire. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Celbridge- Lyons estate (beautiful settings & canal walk)
    Orchard nursery (garden centre with cafe)
    20 mins from city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Would second Powerscourt Gardens - it's a beautiful hour's stroll around the gardens, and then Avoca nosh for lunch. I brought some elderly visitors there a while back, and even though it was the middle of winter, the gardens were stunning - can't imagine what they must be like in summer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I second The Orchard, Celbridge, was just about to post it.

OldGoat wrote: »
    .......Fell in love with Hunters when I discovered that when you stay overnight not only do the staff turn down your bed but they also set and lit the bedroom fire. :)

You obviously arrive with that fragile and vulnerable look that says you need minding!!! :D

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    You obviously arrive with that fragile and vulnerable look that says you need minding!!! :D
    Last time we ate there the waitress gave out to me for not eating enough vegetables. :o Scolded me like a schoolboy. I love that place.

Avoca cafe in Kilmacanoge
    Mount Ussher
    Malahide Castle
    National Garden Centre
    Powerscourt House
    Botanic Gardens
    Afternoon tea in the Shelbourne.
    The Hugh Lane Gallery cafe on Parnell Square.
    Restaurant on Skerries harbour.
    Hunters Hotel
    Tinnakilly House
    Malahide Garden Centre
    Phoenix Park Visitors Centre.
    Chester Beatty Library
    "1014" overlooking the Wooden Bridge onto Bull Island
    Lyons estate (beautiful settings & canal walk - Celbridge)
    Orchard nursery (garden centre with cafe - Celbridge)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

No garden centre, but the Silver Restaurant at Newbridge Silver (located in Newbridge funnily enough) is a fantastic spot. I highly recommend it for morning coffee, lunch or indeed afternoon tea. Chap playing a grand piano while you eat, the Museum of Style Icons upstairs and a good spot to get little gifts at reduced prices if you needed to get a birthday or Christmas gift for someone.

We always stop there on our way back to the Kingdom. It is particularly nice on a dull day as it is surrounded by glass and the lighting there seems to lift the mood,

A great smokers area as well (if you are that way inclined:)) with sheepskin rugs provided in case the heat lamps don't provide enough heat for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭cobham

My vote is for Hunters. Decent drive down M11, good parking in old stable yard ..... Get there early and have pot of fresh brew coffee served in cosy bar... two fires going in winter months. Then make your order for lunch and take a wander around the house and into garden especially the veg patch. Lovely dining room. Food is decent. Do remember to make a reservation!

Not so sure of the cafe attached to Hugh Lane gallery? Is is not a branch of "itsa bagal" so not old style lunch? But otherwise a grand place for a bite/soup, not overbusy and on many busroutes. Bad weather place with gallery to stroll thru.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Afternoon tea- Four Seasons Ballsbridge

For extra special occasion, lunch @ Patrick Guilbauds- 50 euro for 3 courses

http://restaurantpatrickguilbaud.ie/menus/lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, there were quite a few I hadn't heard of. The National Garden Ctr turns out to be really called the National Garden Exhibition Centre in Kilquade. And I found the National Botanic Gardens in Kilmacurragh to be absolutely lovely - still being restored so no cafe yet, but lovely as it is and has a charm of its own. I'm marking Hunter's down for the next trip! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Glinda

The afternoon tea in the Merrion Hotel knocks the other two mentioned here into a cocked hat - very comfortable, very quiet, lovely friendly helpful staff and you can literally sit there as long as you like over your tea and treats, I've sat for a couple of hours on occasion! Also, if you're driving you can stop right outside the door (although there are a few steps).

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭FunkyDa2

The Boathouse Cafe at Farmleigh, in the Phoenix Park http://www.farmleigh.ie/TourofFarmleigh/Boathouse/ There's a walled garden adjacent to the house.

The cafe, and walled garden in Marlay Park http://www.dlrcoco.ie/parks/marlay_information.html

Newbridge House, Donabate http://www.newbridgehouseandfarm.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Itemid=7

Ardgillan Castle, outside Skerries http://www.ardgillancastle.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=29

:)

Don't even think of going to the Boathouse Cafe at Farmleigh this weekend. There is an Arts event going on and I know from experience that that cafe just can't handle the numbers attending this weekend. I have had to suck in my tummy just to get to an empty table for a cuppa tea. On other less cramped days, it is just lovely though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Afternoon tea Killiney Castle - relaxing and oldworld.
    or
    If you don't mind going up a narrow stairs then a stroll or seat at the seafront in Greystones (300 yds beyond harbour) followed by lunch in The Happy Pear vegetarian restaurant in main street is very nice. Relaxed atmosphere and tasty hot dishes and salads.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Afternoon tea Killiney Castle - relaxing and oldworld.
    or
    If you don't mind going up a narrow stairs then a stroll or seat at the seafront in Greystones (300 yds beyond harbour) followed by lunch in The Happy Pear vegetarian restaurant in main street is very nice. Relaxed atmosphere and tasty hot dishes and salads.

Sounds lovely!

Advertisement