Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sleep apnea recognised as disability?

Options
  • 18-10-2010 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all

Anyone have any experience in applying for disabilty allowance with sleep apnea?

Just wondering as I applied for disability as per my sleep apnea condition, my GP reckons that it will not qualify or be recognised.

Have been on cpap treatment since July, has been a reasonable improvement, but still end up sleeping in the afternoon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

My dad has mild sleep apnea and has the machine!

I do know that this isn't listed as one of his disabilities though! He has alot of other problems along with that!

Since he got his machine he hasn't slept in the afternoon unless he didn't sleep the night before!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 oido

Can anyone tell me the symptoms of sleep apnea. How would you know you have it? I have a problem sleeping, just as i'm falling asleep something jumps me awake, something in my chest.It only happens just as i'm falling asleep or just asleep so its hard to explain. Sometimes it feels like something takes my breath away so i'm starting to wonder do i stop breathing. I have a hospital app next wk so will ask about this, chest xray etc came up clear. How is it diagnosed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 michaelps3

I had a similar experience in which I was told that sleep apnea is treatable. your machine will tell you how well your treatment is going. I have been told that 5-6hrs is needed with cpap to be considered successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would imagine sleep apnoea would have to have some complications to even approach being a disability. I was diagnosed with borderline severe sleep apnoea and am still having some problems after a couple of years on a cpap, but I doubt it would be considered a disability.

There is a lot you can do other than just use the machine; going to bed at an earlier, regular time, avoiding alcohol and sleeping tablets, not using a computer before bedtime (I'm not sure I am convinced by that last one, though I understand the arguments).

Advertisement