Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA IV PC Savegame location..

• 19-01-2009 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I've just had to reinstall GTA and lost all my saves as a result..(Had to reinstall windows also).

In future where can I find my savegames to back them up?

I've tried looking in all the obvious places like my documents, gta install folder and games for windows..I didn't see anything that resembled a save folder.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭MOH

I had thought part of the whole "Games for Windows" thing meant there were standard folders things were supposed to go into, somewhere under My Documents.
    When I couldn't find them there, I presumed since they were linked in with GFWL they were stored online somewhere. Have you tried logging in again with the same GFWL account?
    Failing that, maybe they're somewhere under the GFWL folder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

MOH wrote: »
    I had thought part of the whole "Games for Windows" thing meant there were standard folders things were supposed to go into, somewhere under My Documents.
    When I couldn't find them there, I presumed since they were linked in with GFWL they were stored online somewhere. Have you tried logging in again with the same GFWL account?

I thaught the same but they're nowhere to be found..

I got them here:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames

A few of the folders in there are even hidden..!

techguy wrote: »
    I thaught the same but they're nowhere to be found..

I got them here:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames

A few of the folders in there are even hidden..!

Great, thanks. Just in time, since the game refuses to load for me now and I'm looking at a reinstall.

Actually, on Vista it's

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames

(AppData is hidden)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭oceanclub

MOH wrote: »

They're in the hidden "Local Settings" folder underneath "Documents and Settings\<username>".

I recently had to reinstall my machine, so took a backup of that folder. However, there's a step you have to perform. When you start a new game, it create a uniquely named folder - something like "user_982er2432". When you back up, then install again and start a new game, a new uniquely named folder is created. You need to copy your old saves from the original folder to the new one.

It's possible that you still have your original saves on the machine. If I get a chance later, I'll add more detail (the above is just based on memory).

P.

• Advertisement
Advertisement