Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stephen Fry leaving Q.I.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Same as myself really.

However I do differ on Johnny Vegas. I actually thought he was ok on QI, it's Phil Jupitus that I hate as a guest.

But Jupitus is so good at winding Stephen up!

I hate seeing Johnny Vegas and Jo Brand in the line up.

David Mitchell is in episode 3 and 5 of the new series. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Oh no, please no....this is my favourite TV show. I have been watching the show on a loop for years and must be on my 20th go around at this stage. I had always hoped Stephen would see out the full 26 episodes.

ST as replacement: again please no. She ruined 15 to 1 in my opinion. Is it still even on? She has to comment on every answer, showing off that she would have know that, whether or not she is reading from the card and turn it into a chat (or a least she did on the first two episodes I watched). While I do like her in some roles, (Was it Call my Bluff from years back?, am not familiar with her radio show) but I can't see her being a suitable replacement for Stephen.

Every episode of QI she has been on she has to shoe horn in some of the below
    (1) She is Danish
    (2) She lived in America
    (3) She is a lesbian
    (4) She has kids
    Yes we know, why do you have to constantly remind us, who cares?

On some alternatives suggested above
    Dara: maybe, he needs to stop saying "eh" at the end of everything he says on QI, once you notice it it is damn annoying

VC: I do like her but would she be able to keep going a full 30/45 mins? the odd quip in OC is great, there was an episode of QI she was in possibly her first one that she said virtually nothing except something about an Aztec rabbit dream she had....hearing about people's dreams are my pet peev.

Her Hubby David Mitchell: yeah maybe, I completely don't get Peep Show or any of his other works but he does have the correct level of intelligence, sophistication that Stephen brought to the role

AOB
    Johnny Vegas: line about the marzipan fighter planes is up there with my top 10 QI moments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

qweerty wrote: »
    Toksvig presented a radio comedy panel show on Radio 4 called The News Quiz for ten years. She brings lots of experience from that. I think she'll be very good.

Yep having listened to the News Quiz for many years myself, Sandi is definitely a great choice for this. I can see why people may not like her as a panellist but she works so much better as a host.

In the same way that David Mitchell and Dara O'Briain are wasted as hosts. I don't like the strict formatting of Mock The Week anyway but one of my main gripes is that the funniest man in the room is stuck reading questions and dishing out points. Similarly I listen to David Mitchell hosting The Unbelievable Truth on Radio 4 and I just feel it's a waste. People like Dara and David need interaction to others to be at their best and they get that more as panelists than as hosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Dara as QI host? Not for me. Mock the week is much more scripted and formulated.

Richard Osman imo should have got it. He has that charm brainy wit that Stephen has.

Maybe have Sandi Toksvig as a regular. Alan is getting more tedious each season. The guests imo are more miss than hit, you get some who contribute absolutely nothing funny.

If James May wasn't on Amazon was he a possibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I don't know, I generally like Sandi as a guest, but not sure about as a host.

Would have loved Dara O'Briain, I can totally see him as a host for QI. He would have been very different to Stephen Fry but not in a bad way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Love Dara, he certainly has the intelligence but not sure he would have the same following as host. I watch Mock the Week and it is very safe for the most part, I still like it, but that is going off topic. I never really minded Sandi as a guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm very surprised some are suggesting Victoria Coren as host. The show needs a host with warmth and Victoria Coren has all the warmth of an igloo.
    IvySlayer wrote:
    Richard Osman imo should have got it. He has that charm brainy wit that Stephen has.

That's who I thought of too. I think he would have done a great job.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

It will be hard to follow Stephen Fry whoever takes up the hosting job - but Sandy no thanks, I watched 15-1 a couple of times and her presenting style on TV is terribly dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

In fairness 15 to 1 is hardly a show to showcase anything other than dull

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

James May would have been good at this but I can't see myself watching the show without Stephen Fry tbh.

• Advertisement

Nah, James May has no connection with QI and would likely alienate a lot of their audience. Would personally have seen David Mitchell, but Sandy is wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

She's the one guest I'll usually switch off when watching all the repeats on Dave, can't stand the pompous little cow .....can't see myself watching at all if she's host.....there's a whole host of names anyone could come up with who would be better than her

Vic Reeves off the top of my head, there's a showing worth tuning into

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Info on this TV listings site has QI Series N starting on BBC2, 10PM, Friday 15th October. First Episode title "Naming Names".

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Back on tonight at 10

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Basq wrote: »
    Huge shame!

Sandy Toksvig, while she seemed very intelligent on any episodes I've seen her on, lacks the wit and warmth of Stephen Fry IMO.
    Everyone lacks the wit and warmth of Stephen Fry.
    Mars Bar wrote: »
    I think that's why Sandi, David Mitchell and Dara O'Briain would work.
    I don't know if I'd like Dara, it doesn't matter how smart he is, to me he's the messer at the back of the class, I think he'd have to much energy for a show like QI, he almost drowns out everything around him.

end of an era as far as I'm concerned QI ended at series M.

I'm afraid to watch N in case it taints my memories of the series completely. I watched Sandy on 15 to 1 when it came back and she destroyed it for me, nothing against her as a guest just not the host

• Registered Users Posts: 60,283 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder will they get Stephen back as guest contestant at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

ScumLord wrote: »
    Everyone lacks the wit and warmth of Stephen Fry.

I don't know if I'd like Dara, it doesn't matter how smart he is, to me he's the messer at the back of the class, I think he'd have to much energy for a show like QI, he almost drowns out everything around him.

He has been fantastic any time he has been a guest. I think he tones down because of the nature of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I hear Chris Evans is available ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Mars Bar wrote: »
    He has been fantastic any time he has been a guest. I think he tones down because of the nature of the show.
    I like Dara, and I suppose I am comparing Fry on QI, to Dara on Mock the week, which probably isn't fair.

• Advertisement

I always enjoy Dara as a guest on QI but he has one habit that once it's pointed out its hard to avoid. Some of you may have noticed already I won't spoil it for the rest

I always enjoy Dara as a guest on QI but he has one habit that once it's pointed out its hard to avoid. Some of you may have noticed already I won't spoil it for the rest

Eh eh eehhhh eh eh?

If that's not it well I cant think of anything else....that EH EH does my fking head in, can't listen to him

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Eh eh eehhhh eh eh?

If that's not it well I cant think of anything else....that EH EH does my fking head in, can't listen to him

Yip, that's it
    Name 7 other Irish people that have been on QI? No peeking now

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yip, that's it
    Name 7 other Irish people that have been on QI? No peeking now
    Gonna take a punt at Aisling Bea, Graham Linehan, Sean Hughes, Jason Byrne, Andrew Maxwell, Neil Delamere (unlikely) and Ardal O Hanlon.

Think Neil is wrong though..

Oh, Graham Norton surely.

EDIT: David O Doherty has definitely been on it actually.

Sharon Horgan? if she wasn't she should have been....should be the new presenter now I'm at it

Brendan O' Carrol was definitely on

Gonna take a punt at Aisling Bea, Graham Linehan, Sean Hughes, Jason Byrne, Andrew Maxwell, Neil Delamere (unlikely) and Ardal O Hanlon.

Aisling Bea, Graham Linehan & Graham Norton are correct

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

David O'Doherty too
    Jimmy Carr is Irish-born.

Also just checked and Deirdre O'Kane is on the next season

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

goose2005 wrote: »
    David O'Doherty too

Snap. Realised that alright.

Actually, Roisin Conaty does a lot of panel shows too.

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Sharon Horgan? if she wasn't she should have been....should be the new presenter now I'm at it

Nope not yet, that new series she wrote Divorce seems to be huge

• Advertisement

goose2005 wrote: »
    David O'Doherty too
    Jimmy Carr is Irish-born.

Also just checked and Deirdre O'Kane is on the next season

David o Doherty is correct. I didn't count Jimmy Carr in the 7 or Deirdre okane, only shows televised so far

Advertisement