Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pet Minders Castleknock - anyone use them?

• 21-04-2008 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi
    I was looking up the golden pages and noticed a new entry for 'Pet Minders' based in Castleknock. I cant find anything on the web on them so I was just wondering if anyone had used them or knows anything about them.

thanks very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Yes I've used them and they're very nice people. Only open since Xmas. They're based on Rugged Lane in Strawberry beds. Very handy location. Can't really comment on the experience as it was our dogs first ever time in Kennels and they were very freaked out. When they got home ( after 2 days) they slept forever. We also had to give them a good wash ( and precautionary flea treatment) as they were a bit itchy. Maybe try your dogs over a day or 2 before you commit to leaving them for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭VB

thanks for your reply Grawns. Think most of the kennels return the dogs in a bit of a smelly state anyway. Will give them a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Please let me know how you got on.

will do, its not for another couple of weeks.

general update:

Dropped my dog in for four nights and he got on very well.

The couple that run the place are very nice and seemed friendly and interested in my dog when I arrived. The kennels are in the grounds of their house so it seems like much more of a family affair than some of the bigger kennels around.

They have maybe 7 or 8 outdoor metal type kennels and then within that there is a wooden kennel for the dog to sleep in. They asked if my dog prefers sleeping inside or outside and they mentioned having indoor facilities but as my dog normally sleeps outside I didnt check those out.

They have a lovely big garden, c. 2 acres , which they let the dogs exercise in. When I was calling down they asked that I ring beforehand for them to open the gates, they said that they generally let the dogs that get on well together out to run around and therefore if youre coming to collect your dog they put all the others back in their kennels so they dont escape! This was perfect for my dog to have freedom to roam around rather than being locked up all day.

When I went to collect my dog they had him ready to go and while he was excited to see me and very to be home he didnt seem at all traumatised by the experience. His coat was in good condition (no fleas suspected!) in fact I think he might even have had a brush before i collected him, also one big thing he didnt go mad licking the bowl clean when I gave him his food, nor get grabby when I handed him food which I found he did the last time at a different kennel (so Im assuming he was well fed).

Overall I thought that the kennels were very good, the couple are very nice and they even mentioned that their son had been out playing fetch with my dog.I would definitely leave my dog there next time over my previous kennel.

thanks very much for your earlier post Grawns

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lachicachinese

Hi, I was wondering how much they charge for day boarding (not over night) and how early they open in the morning? Do you have a tel number for them? thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Do they allow dogs sleep inside? Would be very handy for us in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 paulbhoy

hi VB could you possibly PM me the phone number for this place and how much it is for an overnight stay thanks

phone number with a little bit of info from golden pages: http://www.goldenpages.ie/Boarding_Kennels/Pet_Minders/IE_553960_6

I dont know if they do day boarding ie not overnight. I wouldnt think so. If its any use to you www.dogtrainingireland.com have day boarding/doggy daycare in their place up in ballycoolin/blanchardstown. As far as I remember thats 15 a day but its prob all on their website. never used their boarding facility just know from attending classes up there. Think theres a place on gardiner st and just off grafton st as well.

petminders charge 20 a day which is more expensive than other kennels. It adds up if you are going away for a week or two but to be honest I dont mind paying more cos I think my dog is better looked after there than other places.

yes they have a place to let dogs sleep inside. I have never checked it out though , which I know sounds bad but my dog sleeps outside except on colder frosty nights and when i first dropped him over it was summer time. He went to the kennels last december and they kept him inside at night but I never asked to see the indoor bit (bad owner I know).

anymore questions just ask. Im not an expert on kennels by any means but I know that when i collected my dog from the first kennel he literally legged it from the kennel office into the boot of my car and wouldnt look at me for about two hours when we got home (it was hilarious really) cos I was the one who had brought him there and he ate completely differently , really quickly as though maybe he had either gotten v little food or else had competition at feeding time! havent had those problems with petminders but i dont think my dog would get too traumatised by kennels anyway, you can get back in the goodbooks with a game of frisbee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

im a vet nurse and ive put up a notice in my clinic that im starting dog sitting in own homes its a bit more expensive than kennels but if the dog needs kennel cough or anything extra it adds up wish me good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

I mind dogs in my own home and i can only take a few because of this, so most of the time im busy and have send people down the these kennels and everyone has said they are lovely people and dogs are happy when they are returned. :)

the negative remarks here im not 100% sure about :confused:

Best thing to do if you are nervous about leaving ur dog is leave him/her for one nite before you go away and see how they get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Oops I only saw the date on this thread now :(

Sorry Mods :)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

summersky / floppyears ?

do you run a kennel in the area ?

Guys look at the comments on goldenpages.ie all left within 2 days ... lol

also on the comments you;re leaving here guys, there is no valid reasons to why we shouldnt use those kennels. it's not even properly argumented. very childish.

STOP trying to damage your competitor's reputation. have some pride. this is not how you will suceed by damaging your competitors instead of concentrating on how to develop your own business !!!

WOW , they are really going to alot of trouble trying to bad mouth them. Pet Minders Castleknock must be good so !! Will check them out now .

Thanks For the tips guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Its also amazing how easily people can get offended.

My kennels used to be closed on Wednesday, we were open all weekend, needed one day off from people each week, obviously the dogs were still fed and exercised etc. On a Tuesday I had a call from someone wanting to come and see the kennels, they were only in the area the next day, a Wednesday. We made an appointment,even though I shouldn't have been open, for 4 pm the next day. 4 came and went, as did 5. Then they rang, they were about half an hour away, just wanted directions to the kennels. I explained to them that I was going to have dinner with my family, so we would have to rearrange the appointment. I had explained when they first phoned that we weren't actually open to the public on the Wednesday. They got very upset, and then posted up on the website that I was unhelpful and rude and having dinner was more important than customers. If they had phoned at 4 o'clock and said they would be late, could they still come over, I would have said yes, but as I hadn't heard from them, I presumed they weren't coming. Would people expect Tesco to open up for them after hours?

So it doesn't take much for kennels to have complaints against them, a lot of the time people don't seem to think of them as a business, but rather as a convenience thats there just for them, with no thought of the owners/workers having a life as well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Once again I ask can users please stop reponding to trolls.Report them instead.

Ive removed those users comments and banned them from the forum.

Advertisement