Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Nollog

Dublin579 wrote: »
    Fantastic deal. I was paying €42 for 15MB BB + €7 standalone charge.

Looks like I could get 25MB & Phone for same price.

Very tempted to upgrade to the 50MB offer.

Quick question, I recently bought this new wireless router - http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/18_NETWORK/14_ROUTER/productdetails/80000142/NETGEAR_RangeMax_Open_Source_Wireless_N_Gigabit/WNR3500L_100PES/default.aspx

Would I still need to order the new modem from UPC when upgrading?
    I still have the old Scientific Atlantic modem that came with the broadband back in 2006.

cheers
    25mb with normal phone is 41, saving you 75 cent!
    with some free calls it's 42, costing you 25 cent!

For 50mbit you need a brand new modem(they provide it), it will have wireless N.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

bk wrote: »
    Sounds like some of the "fellers on the forum" know better :P

lol he was full of apologies because i must have said at least 3 times "Are you suuuuure now!?".
    Mind you im not getting it until the 21st as the bookings for broadband upgrades are through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Mind you im not getting it until the 21st as the bookings for broadband upgrades are through the roof.

Glad i ordered @ 9.05am on monday! Any longer then Saturday and id cry with the anticipation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

fionny wrote: »
    Glad i ordered @ 9.05am on monday! Any longer then Saturday and id cry with the anticipation :)

Blast you!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fozz

Right, called the Sales team and asked to change me pack and they put me straight through to the Loyalty dept.
    Asked to go to 100Mb and they said it is not available in my area..even the 50Mb is not available so I am still on 30Mb but paying less and when the newer speeds become available in the area (Santry, Dublin) then I can upgrade (the upgrade to 50 will be free pm and to 100 will cost another 10pm and I'll need a new modem for both).
    So that's the latest...roll on the speed updates!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

/\/ollog wrote: »
    For 50mbit you need a brand new modem(they provide it), it will have wireless N.

hi guys,

the new modem you get with the 50-100mb does that have built in wireless N (all in one unit), cool !! i can abandon my crappy wireless router if i upgrade.

currently my wireless connection goes to crap if i go into apartment bedroom (router in main living room). only about 5 meters away but between 2 solid concrete slab walls.

should the new router improve this?

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thor

I placed my order yesterday(Originally monday) But there was a problem with the order, For some reason i was able to select self install(100Mb).

So rang them up yesterday to get that solved, They are coming out tomorrow morning to install. 2 days for the guy to come out, Was shocked i was able to get it that fast, I would have assumed they would be jammed with orders since Monday.

I'm loving it, Can't wait to get it, My guess is in a couple of months the it will be bumped to 120Mb to match all other UPC territories.

ciaran75 wrote: »
    Cheers,

Depends really does your existing router have many aerials?

I think the new modem has 2 which may or may not help.

I gave up on wireless a while back and invested in a pair of Gigabit Powerline plugs and am delighted with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭00sully

this is indeed good news. Can anyone answer me this though, I rang to order 100mb but was told it was not available in my area but upgrades were done recently as February for this I though.

has anyone gotten this upgrade in the Carpenterstown area??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

1291139746.png

Less then 24 hours after ordering.

I have not even received the new modem yet, still on old one, so I'm not getting the full 50mb but thats not even bad considering ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Nollog

ciaran75 wrote: »
    hi guys,

the new modem you get with the 50-100mb does that have built in wireless N (all in one unit), cool !! i can abandon my crappy wireless router if i upgrade.

currently my wireless connection goes to crap if i go into apartment bedroom (router in main living room). only about 5 meters away but between 2 solid concrete slab walls.

Cheers,
    it's the Thompson TWG870 and the user manual is online here: http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/original_...870_manual.pdf

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Fozz..
    I was told 50 &100 meg was not available. Only when I said the website shows it is did I get offered the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

00sully wrote: »
    this is indeed good news. Can anyone answer me this though, I rang to order 100mb but was told it was not available in my area but upgrades were done recently as February for this I though.

has anyone gotten this upgrade in the Carpenterstown area??

I remember when they ran the fibre here it took a few months before they rolled it out. I guess they need to do testing before switching on.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    it's the Thompson TWG870 and the user manual is online here: http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/original_...870_manual.pdf

I believe your link is broken.

Thor wrote: »
    I believe your link is broken.

It was working earlier, they mustve taken it down :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It was working earlier, they mustve taken it down :P

No, your link is incomplete.

[noparse]http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/original_...870_manual.pdf[/noparse]

You copied the displayed text, not the link target.

Wasnt myself but here is the correct link that Vibe posted:

http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/original_thomson_twg870_manual.pdf

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Wasnt myself but here is the correct link that Vibe posted:

Sorry, I mangled the quoting.

Spear wrote: »
    Sorry, I mangled the quoting.

No worries :)

Just having a look at the manual and had to laugh at the computer specs:

IBM PC COMPATIBLE
    System RAM 16MB (32MB preferred)

Rofl.

No worries :)

Just having a look at the manual and had to laugh at the computer specs:

IBM PC COMPATIBLE
    System RAM 16MB (32MB preferred)

Rofl.

Ah Shít, I only have 8MB!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

If you apply online through "My Upc" they dont charge any installation fees.
    Ive upgraded to 50meg from 30, Im paying 2 euro extra which is nothing for nearly double the speeds..how are some peoples packages working out cheaper when they upgrade though???:confused:

I have no 'upgrade' option when i log in to MyUPC - did you just go to the made to measure section and choose 50mb?
    I'm on 20mb/DigitalValue/Phone for 47.50 (discounts)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 uberdruid

Never had any problems with them, and when you're using usenet and downloading 1080p rips, 500GB go away like that :P

Exactly! If you're used to live in other first world countries where 1080p IPTV is the most normal thing in the world, you are really baffled what's going on here. To be more specific: an 1 hour 1080p stream consumes 5 to 8GB for half-decent quality. I don't have to tell you how fast you would reach your quota, especially in a household with several ppl.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Although, if their way of punishing you for going over the limit is to move you up a package or something, what happens when you're already on the ULTIMATE OF ALL ULTIMATES package?

There's several ways one could be punished for going over the limit such as (but not limited to)..To charge you for exceeding the monthly cap or to downgrade your BB connection (Reduce download/upload speed) for a period of time yet you are still charged the higher rate of your original package...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

gambiaman wrote: »
    I have no 'upgrade' option when i log in to MyUPC - did you just go to the made to measure section and choose 50mb?
    I'm on 20mb/DigitalValue/Phone for 47.50 (discounts)
    Yeah click on broadband, then click on the 50MB, after you do it youl probably get a call a few hrs afterwards or the next day. Its actually working out 2 euro cheaper for me also because we have a bundle!:D

bonoman66 wrote: »
    There's several ways one could be punished for going over the limit such as (but not limited to)..To charge you for exceeding the monthly cap or to downgrade your BB connection (Reduce download/upload speed) for a period of time yet you are still charged the higher rate of your original package...

Or the could just do whats done in alot of other places and disconnect you until the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

bk wrote: »
    You need to ring up to upgrade, subject to a new 12 months contract *.

They may eventually automatically upgrade people, but it might be a few months before that happens.

* Hardly a hardship, these are great deals and there won't be anyone else come within miles of these offers in the next 12 months. It is only a problem for people who think they might have to move.

Now thats great service - I rang up without reading this post, spotted it in bargain alerts and said, "hey I am on 10mb, only signed on a month ago and paying 59 euros with int calls and the 7.75 surcharge."

They said, "ok, we will put you on the 25mb, no surcharge and only pay 47 euros" Just a new 12 month contract that obviously i was only 1 month into

Thats what I call service - Eircom listen and learn! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Just got the 100Mb installed , took about 30 minutes to install and about another 30 for the internet connection to come up.

according to the upc speed test the download is 105Mb and the upload is 7.5Mb.

Wired
    1291256840.png

Wireless
    1291233379.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Nice one, I wonder how the
    (Faster than 99% of IE)
    piece will change in the coming few days/weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

The manual above is not 100% the same as what we have. For starters, UPC have disabled DDNS which is a bit stupid as I can run a client on my machine but it would be nice for support on the router. There doesn't seem to be a way to update the firmware manually. And there seems to be no support for the USB either.

On the other hand, I was getting 1.5 MB/s on a torrent and thought that I had a nice modest increase in speed. Then I remembered I hadn't setup port forwarding. Said torrent jumped up to 6.4 MB/s average :eek: That's pretty much saturated. So I went and did a bit of browsing, and there was very little lag. I'd say the QoS is at least on a par with my Dlink wireless router (which will soon be on adverts.ie!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

new Modem/router came today for the 50mb.

I posted earlier the speed jump before new modem, well here it is now

1291293536.png

It was an easy setup to get going, however having some issue on wireless and I'm betting its due to DNS servers.

Cant for love nor money find the DNS servers through in the new thompson router :(

Advertisement