Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

One-Parent Family Payment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

I dont think anyone was defending welfare fraud, I know I certainly wasnt. My thoughts at the start of this thread were, here we go again another thread bashing single parents because in AH that is usually what happens. Thankfully this thread didnt really go that way, too much. I think we can all agree that fraud should be clamped down on and sitec I agree with you that the government should provide good subsidised childcare for single parents and job initiatives/training but if that is not there then parents have no choice but to claim social welfare and they dont deserve to be bashed or stereotyped because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

EGAR wrote: »
    Oh no, not another one of those threads, there are at least a trillion on here already.....

A trillion?? Okay I count one, please send me the links for the remaining nine hundred ninety-nine billion nine hundred ninety-nine million nine hundred ninety-nine thousand nine hundred ninety-nine.

Faith+1 wrote: »
    A trillion?? Okay I count one, please send me the links for the remaining nine hundred ninety-nine billion nine hundred ninety-nine million nine hundred ninety-nine thousand nine hundred ninety-nine.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I dont think anyone was defending welfare fraud,

Well, at least 1 person was very blatant about it.
    Offy wrote: »
    I dont, I say defraud away if you can get away with it. In first year, many years ago, one of my teachers said "the difference between smart students and stupid students is that stupid students get caught". I agree.
    I know I certainly wasnt. My thoughts at the start of this thread were, here we go again another thread bashing single parents because in AH that is usually what happens. Thankfully this thread didnt really go that way, too much. I think we can all agree that fraud should be clamped down on and sitec I agree with you that the government should provide good subsidised childcare for single parents and job initiatives/training but if that is not there then parents have no choice but to claim social welfare and they dont deserve to be bashed or stereotyped because of it.

I don't think anyone in this thread has stereotyped single-parents. And I don't think anyone is suggesting that single-parents shouldn't claim social welfare. But if they are doing so by fraudulent means then they shouldn't be doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Oddjob wrote: »
    If he's such a ****ebag, why were you on your back with your legs in the air with him?

What an ignorant horrible thing to say you do not no the first thing about me. So you've never heard of people changing or somebody wanting to shirk their responsibilities??
    My god I'd say you have a lot of respect for women

• Advertisement

Ziggy- Whoever oddball is he/she is a fcuking pig. Obviously trying to get a rise out of you, take no notice :)

Ziggy- Whoever oddball is he/she is a fcuking pig. Obviously trying to get a rise out of you, take no notice :)

Thanks:) Raging I missed that I would have given as good as I got:p

Another thing I find that adds to the stigma of lone parents is that were not accepted as a family in this country it has to be 2 parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

fedor.2. wrote: »
    The ratting out is strong in this thread. I wonder would ye go to the people you intend to rat on and tell them your intentions?? would ye fook. Snakes.

The IRA have a lot to answer for in this country.

I say rat away at weasles claiming benefits illegally laughing at the honest single parents trying to get by.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Thanks:) Raging I missed that I would have given as good as I got:p

Another thing I find that adds to the stigma of lone parents is that were not accepted as a family in this country it has to be 2 parents.

I completely disagree with this. I think single-parent families are the norm now and are more accepted now than ever.

There is a small minority who wouldn't accept it, but the people who don't accept lone parents as families are either old fogies who are gonna die soon anyway or idiots! Either way they're not worth listening to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I know 2 people who claim this payment and the fathers are not around. Yet I know 14 people who claim it and have the partner living with them.
    Does this ratio meet other peoples observations?
    Im not saying it should be done away with as some people do need it, but I think it should be policed a bit better.

Life is all about getting what you can.
    And before people jump down my throat, I aint justifying shit. Its still wrong to claim it ... but when it comes to financial gain whats 'wrong' gets thrown out the window by many a person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Also if you think claiming SW illegally is okay, don't moan about politicians or public servants double jobbing or getting big pay outs. You'd do the exact same in their circumstances.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Offy also banned. Relentless trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

fedor.2. wrote: »
    The ratting out is strong in this thread. I wonder would ye go to the people you intend to rat on and tell them your intentions?? would ye fook. Snakes.

I wont say it to their face because they dont deserve to be warned, they are stealing from me and you. If they mention that the lost their bonuses I will say it to them now and have no quams about it I dont have too many friends that steal from me maybe you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

ziggy23 wrote: »
    This pisses me off so much. I'm a genuine lone parent my son's father pays nothing towards him doesnt want to see him cos he is a sh1tebag:mad: The amount of people I've heard of living with their partners and claiming OPFP. They are the ones who give genuine folk a bad name. There is never any house checks done just a letter every 6 months or so to say you are still entitled to it.

I agree, I know there are people who are entitled to it and I and most people have no problem with that, its the system thats at fault leaving it easy for people to take advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

What the hell is a lone parent if the mother and father is alive? Why not legally force all fathers to be legally responsible for their children. If they want nothing to do with their children garnish their income/social welfare. Obligate fathers to spend at least two or three nights per week with their children unless they're mentally unable or unwilling to. Bottom line, most men want to see their child yet this ridiculous system ensures all unmarried mothers are single parents and all unmarried fathers have absolutely zero rights over their own biological child. The system needs changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

What the hell is a lone parent if the mother and father is alive? Why not legally force all fathers to be legally responsible for their children. If they want nothing to do with their children garnish their income/social welfare. Obligate fathers to spend at least two or three nights per week with their children unless they're mentally unable or unwilling to. Bottom line, most men want to see their child yet this ridiculous system ensures all unmarried mothers are single parents and all unmarried fathers have absolutely zero rights over their own biological child. The system needs changing.
    It like a horse you can take it to the well but that does not mean the horse will drink the water, alas there are a lot of men who simply don't give a toss outweighs the good guys who want to be involved in their kids life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Oddjob wrote: »
    If he's such a ****ebag, why were you on your back with your legs in the air with him?

MOD Note: Banned

What a horrible thing to say. Shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

gcgirl wrote: »
    It like a horse you can take it to the well but that does not mean the horse will drink the water, alas there are a lot of men who simply don't give a toss outweighs the good guys who want to be involved in their kids life

I'd query your ratios severely there. The family law in Ireland is desperately skewed against fathers and many fathers who wish to be involved in their children's lives find themselves effectively excluded, or reduced to the status of a chequebook by a combination of bitter ex-partners and the courts.
    I know many men who fought to a standstill for years and still had no meaningful relationship with their children because mothers who refuse to comply with access agreements are never punished by the courts.
    The so-called 'deadbeat dad' phenomenon is a tabloid nonsense. There are irresponsible men out there, just as there are irresponsible women. But we need radical overhaul of our family justice system to move towards compulsory mediation and legislation that puts the needs of the child, not the mother, first.

I wouldn't say far outweighs the good guys. Definitely a lot don't actually look their kids financially but I think it takes a special kinda pr1ck that doesn't actually want to see his child.

I agree, I know there are people who are entitled to it and I and most people have no problem with that, its the system thats at fault leaving it easy for people to take advantage.

Very easy as I've said I've never had anybody knock at my door to check I wasn't co-habiting with someone.

• Advertisement

I'd query your ratios severely there. The family law in Ireland is desperately skewed against fathers and many fathers who wish to be involved in their children's lives find themselves effectively excluded, or reduced to the status of a chequebook by a combination of bitter ex-partners and the courts.
    I know many men who fought to a standstill for years and still had no meaningful relationship with their children because mothers who refuse to comply with access agreements are never punished by the courts.
    The so-called 'deadbeat dad' phenomenon is a tabloid nonsense. There are irresponsible men out there, just as there are irresponsible women. But we need radical overhaul of our family justice system to move towards compulsory mediation and legislation that puts the needs of the child, not the mother, first.
    For note my youngest daughter has been in and out of Our ladys in crumlin since she was 6 weeks old , I had a relationship with her father for years so she is not the product of a quicky, last February she spent 6 hours in surgery and 3 hours in recovery her father was no where in sight, as for the previous visits and stays in hospital zero, my friend who was married to her husband for 15 yrs together 18 yrs they have 5 kids together he pays zero spends no time with the kids his family don't even acknowledge them and I do know guys who would run over hot coals for their kids but sadly the wasters ruin it for the good guys and I had 2 uncles who brought up their kids single handed and they did brill

For note my youngest daughter has been in and out of Our ladys in crumlin since she was 6 weeks old , I had a relationship with her father for years so she is not the product of a quicky, last February she spent 6 hours in surgery and 3 hours in recovery her father was no where in sight, as for the previous visits and stays in hospital zero, my friend who was married to her husband for 15 yrs together 18 yrs they have 5 kids together he pays zero spends no time with the kids his family don't even acknowledge them and I do know guys who would run over hot coals for their kids but sadly the wasters ruin it for the good guys

God that is just awful:( I really do not understand the mentality of these people. Maybe it's just the people around me seem to have loving relationships with their kids.

For note my youngest daughter has been in and out of Our ladys in crumlin since she was 6 weeks old , I had a relationship with her father for years so she is not the product of a quicky, last February she spent 6 hours in surgery and 3 hours in recovery her father was no where in sight, as for the previous visits and stays in hospital zero, my friend who was married to her husband for 15 yrs together 18 yrs they have 5 kids together he pays zero spends no time with the kids his family don't even acknowledge them and I do know guys who would run over hot coals for their kids but sadly the wasters ruin it for the good guys

I'm going to be harsh here, because what you wrote initially was very wrong. Your anecdotal evidence is no evidence. I can offer literally dozens of cases in reply featuring selfish, vindictive women who used their children as weapons in psychodramas with men who were continually frustrated in their attempts to simply have a relationship with their children.
    My child lives with me. I am one of the lucky fathers who was persistent enough, and had sufficient wherewithal to fight the inequities built into the Irish family law system until it became evident to all concerned that my child should be resident in my custody. Other men, no less caring, had not the same resources nor the same luck in court as I had. Many other men.
    It may be that your personal experience has jaundiced you against men, or fathers. I am sorry for that, but your experience is not the only one nor even the majority one, and you're wrong to suggest it is.

I know what you mean when One of my uncles spilt with his wife she actually got a barring order, he had never laid a hand on her or even stooped to emotional abuse, she was indeed a immature ass, it's unfortunate but he got custody of the 7 kids, stupid thing is he took the bitch back the following yr though they spilt for good 8/9 yrs later, I actually offered 50/50 custody with my ex following our spilt but alas that was shot down by him, promises of taking the kids came to nothing it did not upset me it upset the kids and I know I'm not the only person going through it and the whole family court system needs to be revised

I know what you mean when One of my uncles spilt with his wife she actually got a barring order, he had never laid a hand on her or even stooped to emotional abuse, she was indeed a immature ass, it's unfortunate but he got custody of the 7 kids, stupid thing is he took the bitch back the following yr though they spilt for good 8/9 yrs later, I actually offered 50/50 custody with my ex following our spilt but alas that was shot down by him, promises of taking the kids came to nothing it did not upset me it upset the kids and I know I'm not the only person going through it and the whole family court system needs to be revised

I think everyone agrees with that. The current adversarial system does no one any good. It can even cause difficulty when parents are amiable and in agreement about everything in a separation. Much more so when, as is often the case, at least one feels aggrieved. My child's mother visits about three or four times a year. I wish it was more often and I know it's made my child sad and left a sense of abandonment. No one parent can make up for that sense of being abandoned by another parent, no matter how hard you try. That's why we need a system that actively encourages the involvement of both parents, one that puts the needs of the child above everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Sitec wrote: »
    Im not one to snitch but there is 4 done so far. Link here for anyone who wants to be a snitch with me.

I don't see how it's being a "snitch". We're not in primary school and frankly if everyone did it we wouldn't have this problem.

Cheers for the link

I shopped 2 of my neighbours
    And my cousin . She's a scumbag she was complaining last week how the goverment tricked her into buying an 08 car for the cheap tax and then put it up .
    But the final nail in her coffin was when she stated .
    " I hope SVP have a better hamper this year "!!!!
    Apparently her partner who she can't remember his name when she's filling in the birthcert , dident like the turkey ?

P.s I do know many genuine single parents who do a great job bringing up there kids Under very difficult circumstances .

• Registered Users Posts: 15 gnag

Just heard a crazy story, (from the person in questions mother!) This girl was claiming one parent payment for the past 5 years while living with the father of her 3 kids, he was claiming single parent tax credits, which i didn't even know existed, and then they got married last May. Is there no on in the social welfare office even the least bit suspicious? There are many single parents who need this payment to make ends meet but this couple were abusing the system in a disgusting manner. Is there even any point in reporting it now? I'm not sure anything would be done at this stage. The only reason she told me was because she was boasting about where her daughter had bought a house and I commented that she must have a very good job to buy in that particular area. She then proceeded to tell me how they lived with her and claimed all these things, so saved loads of money and she was as proud as punch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Dare I go against the grain here..

Not all lone parents are dishonest about having a partner present in their homes. Just because you see a guy going in and out of the house but 'know' she's on LP, doesn't mean she hasn't notified the SW.

I know this is the case for my brother and his gf. A nosy neighbour of theirs threw that one at them one day, and my brother said with a grin "you do that, call the social welfare".

I think it's wrong for people to be claiming for SW if theres another income in the house on the sly, but I'd want to be 100% sure of it before I go lifting the phone. It's not right to be meddling in other peoples lives without having the proof.

Abi wrote: »

Not all lone parents are dishonest about having a partner present in their homes. Just because you see a guy going in and out of the house but 'know' she's on LP, doesn't mean she hasn't notified the SW.

I know this is the case for my brother and his gf. A nosy neighbour of theirs threw that one at them one day, and my brother said with a grin "you do that, call the social welfare".

I think it's wrong for people to be claiming for SW if theres another income in the house on the sly, but I'd want to be 100% sure of it before I go lifting the phone. It's not right to be meddling in other peoples lives without having the proof.

Well if there's nothing to hide, there shouldn't be a problem if someone lifts the phone? I know it wouldn't be nice to be investigated like that but at the end of the day all you'll have to do is tell the truth and everything's grand!

• Advertisement

Abi wrote: »

As far as I know, I may be wrong though, a lone parent can have a partner stay over 3 nights a week. Does anybody know if this is right? (not for myself btw:P)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement