Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

lough tay near sallygap

• 22-08-2010 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

can anyone tell me if you can get down to the fantastic white beach which you can see from the road to sallygap coming from roundwood.
    it is part of lough tay and was manmade by the guinness family who own the house near by

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Hi, if it's a manmade lake there will be a track or old road that leads down. After all they would have to have got the machinery out when they finished digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Its private land unfortunately

"The northern coastline forms part of an estate belonging to the Guinness family; it is edged with a beach of startlingly white sand" (Wiki)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

fishing rights private too ,,such a pity,,id say it holds some nice trout!!!,,

i have fished lough bray which is close by ,,but you must ask permission,,it is largely inaccessible aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

I agree its such a pity. Another place i may never get to fish in.
    wgsten
    http://www.irishflyfisher.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 poldaly

i will have to give this a miss so and just dream at the photo i took from higher ground

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

poldaly wrote: »
    can anyone tell me if you can get down to the fantastic white beach which you can see from the road to sallygap coming from roundwood.
    it is part of lough tay and was manmade by the guinness family who own the house near by
    I know there is a couple of pure white sand beaches on lough dan, one of which was bought by someone who made it public.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Lough Tay is a pretty looking lake, but it is deep with steeply declining sides under the surface.
    So there is no "food shelf", the zone where the sunlight illuminates the bottom to encourage weedgrowth, and very few of the little creatures and insects that live off the weed and constitute trout food.
    In such a water the wind blown insects from the wooded shores make up a sizeable portion of the food available, and there are never quite enough terrestrials to make up for a lack of water based organisms.
    As a result, the trout in Lough Tay are very small indeed, you won't miss much due to the privacy and lack of access.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Superdaddy

poldaly wrote: »
    What makes you think it's manmade? It is a glacial lake, the sand is there naturally and yes it is private and yes the trout are very small as Coolwings says.
    Lough Dan is also a private lake owned by many owners and right holders, land owner or right holder permission is required.

Superdaddy wrote: »
    Lough Dan is also a private lake owned by many owners and right holders, land owner or right holder permission is required.
    One of the two major beaches has been made public by a private buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Superdaddy

Are you are referring to the west of the lake where the inchavore river flows in? That beach is owned by National Parks and Wildlife service to the best of my knowledge. The land behind it is in private ownership and the beach can only be accessed through this land. How has the landowner opened up access or made it public, has he donated the land to the state?

• Advertisement

Superdaddy wrote: »
    Are you are referring to the west of the lake where the inchavore river flows in? That beach is owned by National Parks and Wildlife service to the best of my knowledge. The land behind it is in private ownership and the beach can only be accessed through this land. How has the landowner opened up access or made it public, has he donated the land to the state?
    Yep the river flows in there, and yes he donated the land to the state apparently. The private landowners to the back of the beach dont mind people trekking through once they dont wreck the place, i met one of them down there a couple of weeks ago and he wasnt bothered in the slightest about all of the tourists, he told me what was going on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

From the fishery survey done a couple of years ago:
    The greatest concentrations of trout occurred in the shallower depths. For brown trout 60% of the benthic population were in the 0-3m zone and 87% in water less than 6m deep. Ten trout were taken in the deeper water (>20m) which represents a greater proportion of trout in deep water relative to the other loughs sampled ....
    Individual size of brown trout was small. The absence of larger individuals suggests that piscivory is limited or absent.

Out of approx 100 trout caught in the survey, the largest was 10" and the average 7".

It's the kind of barren mountain lake where a sizeable percentage of the lakes nutrients would be actually in the trout, and though small it would be important to the lake that they are returned, because their decay on death every generation would fertilise and reduce water acidity.
    Autumn leaf fall blown in from deciduous trees (not pine forests!) and decaying in the lake are the other major source of nutrients for these barren waters. So coniferous forestry hit these lakes hard.
    An excess of acidity 25 years ago caused by acid rain and coniferous forestry runoff eradicated the char from L Tay, but not the trout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

although it is a very pretty lake and all of that stuff personally i would not bother fishing it...as pointed out above those acid mountain lakes can not sustain many large trout...there are better lakes out there, granted a little more driving but far better sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭jack01986

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

i think that is logh bray upper and lower,,lower lake is private,altough i fished it last year after i sought permission from the owners,very difficult to fish from the banks, no boats allowed ,quite shallow but rocky and dangerous to wade. the trout are small.i have not fished the upper lake,much harder to access.
    trout are always small in hill loughs for all the reasons coolwing indicates,but if you dont mind a hike for some peaceful fishing and trout that are eager to take a fly i reccomend the hill loughs,size isnt everything,they are great fun and hard fighting!!!!

if you get a day that isnt to windy up there,,,I DONT RECOMMEND FOR CASTING BEGINNERS!!!! :)

Thanks for that, I'll deffo have to give them a proper go. Im hoping on the very very slight of chance there might be something else in there apart from trout. I think the casting might be allright have to rbing out the sideways flick cast or something like that:D.

Anyone know anything about this lake as well have walked up there a few times before there were some fish rising. Its above the Glenmacnass waterfall.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=&sll=53.043793,-6.329498&sspn=0.053666,0.153637&ie=UTF8&ll=53.043793,-6.329498&spn=0.053666,0.153637&t=h&z=13

Advertisement