Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuff that doesn't need it's own Thread

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I would bet good money that its backdoored.

syklops wrote: »
    I would bet good money that its backdoored.
    I have absolutely no doubt about that :pac:

Looking forward to seeing it taken apart though

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Seanux has a nice Irish sounding ring to it :pac:

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

syklops wrote: »
    At this years DefCon, John Mcafee spoke about many things including the eventful year he had last year but he also spoke about an app he created called DCentral1 which audits the permissions requirements of the apps installed and gives each one a rating. My friend found it interesting that his banking app requires access to his camera.

I recommend installing it and checking what you have. You can tweak the thresholds your self, so its ok if your camera app needs access to your camera, or your gallery app needs access to your SD card, but you can quickly see if your wall paper app is reading your calls.

You can get it from the play store.
    John McAfee has released D-VASIVE, a new app for your smartphone's security

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Gird your loins folks, he's coming....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057316057

Whatsapp getting end to end encryption
    https://whispersystems.org/blog/whatsapp/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭hooplah

That's a really positive development. I have tried a number of time to get friends onto textsecure and chatsecure. The missus moved to TextSecure and that's about it.
    WhatsApp doing this by default is a super development

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 A Little Baby Elephant

Trojan targeting master password of password managers
    Only a matter of time until one of those gets owned.

It's just a keylogger that can figure out when the password manager is being unlocked. It's not breaking the crypto - much easier to bypass it.

This has probably been posted here before but it's a good read Crypto Won't Save You Either - Peter Gutmann

lottery.ie's new online play system falls a bit short of the mark.
    Players who previously had a password in excess of 12 characters will also need to reset their password to be between 8 and 12 characters long.

Why oh why do websites pull crap like this. Unless they're storing the password in plain text (:rolleyes:) it doesn't matter how long the password is, all they have to store is the hash.

Slightly offbeat but some here may find it interesting.

The Face Detection Algorithm Set To Revolutionise Image Search - link via technology review.

and the associated academic paper

It appears you are no longer a face in the crowd, you are <<insert your name>> in the crowd.

catastrophic privacy / data protection issues.

BTW - Would it be worth it to sticky this thread? Just a thought. It took a bit of digging to bring it to the surface.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Slightly offbeat but some here may find it interesting.

The Face Detection Algorithm Set To Revolutionise Image Search - link via technology review.

and the associated academic paper

It appears you are no longer a face in the crowd, you are <<insert your name>> in the crowd.

catastrophic privacy / data protection issues.

Who would actually want that (apart from companies)? Just no. Anyone can take a picture of you and put it online without your permission, labelling you in a completely different level and wouldn't approve of it at all.

Just my 2c

For want of nowhere better to share this. From the Computers & Technology forum;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057459324

Stalker, Targeted hack, Malware ???????

The cycle of set up account -> account being hacked -> set up new account different service -> account being hacked -> set up new account different service ->etc..... and the 'undesirable' removed from the house a few years previous adds intrigue to the whole thing.

The individual appears to be limited in technical know how and is probably just a web browsing user. A bit of a nightmare for them.

For want of nowhere better to share this. From the Computers & Technology forum;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057459324

Stalker, Targeted hack, Malware ???????

The cycle of set up account -> account being hacked -> set up new account different service -> account being hacked -> set up new account different service ->etc..... and the 'undesirable' removed from the house a few years previous adds intrigue to the whole thing.

The individual appears to be limited in technical know how and is probably just a web browsing user. A bit of a nightmare for them.

I'd imagine a bit of all three. The undesirable was removed from the house. He/She Installed a RAT with a keylogger, sit back. Monitor communications. Order for new laptop seen in their email account, stalker hides another RAT in the backup folder, so it gets copied to the new laptop.

Its a genuine shame this individual uses considerable skill to basically just f*ck with someone for the hell of it.

• Advertisement

For the dabblers. Tunneling Data and Commands Over DNS to Bypass Firewalls - link

Remember the above?

As spotted on the Development Forum - this appears to be incoming https://letsencrypt.org/

Just ordered sky and when I had to pay for it the girl goes, "Don't call out your credit card numbers, instead dial the numbers on your dial pad".

Apparently its a security mechanism to prevent people who are monitoring the calls, from jotting down the numbers.

Question InfoSec peoples, is this good security, or simply security through obscurity?

Im going with the latter. I've done call monitoring. You get the calls as mp3s. If someone wants to collect credit card numbers, they still will, its just now slightly more difficult.

Didn't start a whole new thread for this, but I thought hearing a few opinions here might be nice.

Also, today is D-Day -2

D for Def Con! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Is reading out your card details not pure dodgy??

I've never done it...refuse to deal with a company if that's the only option available from them for whatever reason.

Am I over cautious?

Could that Sky Person not go off on Holiers if you gave them your Card details...

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Global spy system ECHELON confirmed at last – by leaked Snowden files

Origins of automated surveillance

Advertisement