Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Website

Options
  • 11-11-2014 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi all,

I hope this hasn't been asked a hundred times - it probably has so I apologise in advance if so...

I somehow got lumbered with drawing up a new website for our small business. There was a live website that got hacked and was taken down. We have a domain name with <snip>.

I would like to create my own website with one of the free template companies but I wonder how this will work when the domain names are with <snip>. I have a problem dealing with btw as they will only deal with the person who created the original site, he is unavailable and we pay the hosting fee so I don't know what that's about...Anyway I can probably sort that part.

I just registered with Wordpress and maybe I'm a complete idiot but it just seemed to be all about blogs and I found it hard to work my way around any website templates....Should I stick with it and get my domain names from BK and move to Wordpress or is this the thing to do at all?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

To make changes with the domain name, you need to prove you are the owner, that would not matter where the domain is registered.

WordPress comes in two flavours. 1. WordPress.com version hosted on wordpress.com or 2 WordPress.org version hosted where ever you want.
    They are essentially the same thing but you have more choices when hosted on your own hosting.
    Wordpress.com (free) for a basic blog works well, but once you want "extras" then charges occur and the limits start to show.

If it is for a business, my advice is get a professional to do it for you, novice websites tend to look novice and this reflects on your whole business.
    If you do decide to DIY then WordPress is as good as any, but do go the .org route, and avoid sites like wix etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

miami2007 wrote: »
    I have a problem dealing with BK btw as they will only deal with the person who created the original site, he is unavailable and we pay the hosting fee so I don't know what that's about...Anyway I can probably sort that part.

Sorry you've been having issues. If you can send me the details I can ask our customer service team to assist you. Please email me directly: michele@blacknight.com
    I just registered with Wordpress and maybe I'm a complete idiot but it just seemed to be all about blogs and I found it hard to work my way around any website templates....Should I stick with it and get my domain names from BK and move to Wordpress or is this the thing to do at all?:confused:
    It sounds like you might have signed up with Wordpress.com.
    You can use a self-hosted Wordpress which would have more flexibility
    If you're looking for a simple business template for Wordpress there are plenty to choose from:
    https://wordpress.org/themes/ or commercial ones such as: https://www.woothemes.com/product-category/themes/business/

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭miami2007

Thanks guys, it sounds like i may need to call in a professional as i have no idea what self hosting means!!
    Thanks Michelle, il get onto you about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Thanks guys, it sounds like i may need to call in a professional as i have no idea what self hosting means!!
    Sorry. What it means is that you have your own install of Wordpress with your own domain on your own hosting account etc., ie. what your client / friend currently has (though with the added Wordpress)
    Thanks Michelle, il get onto you about that!

No problem

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Aine Philip

<snip>

• Advertisement
Advertisement