Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nutrition 101

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

pbowenroe wrote: »
    I am cutting and doing Starting Strength. Roughly how much grams of protein per kg of body weight do I need a day?

Aim for 1g per Kg of bodyweight. You probably don't need that much, but it'll be a tasty and satisfying ride.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Orla K wrote: »
    Just got to say fat from natural sources is good for you, even the saturated fat. The fat to watch out for is veg/seed oil, chemical processing. Watch the ingredients on pesto if it's stop bought I've noticed they add sunflower oil instead of olive oil(I should say olive oil is good when not over heated, and coconut oil is good too)
    Try find a better alternative to Quorn too it's not the best thing to be eating, can't remember now but I think some of the ingredients are bad.

Don't worry about too much fat.

Ah yeah I know not buying flora anymore, I've started buying chicken breast again but I find it very hard to eat or handle, I also worry about what they animals are given and I know long term I won't be eating Quorn as I'm not sure what they put into it during the process of making mycroprotein.

Really need to find a farmers market and get someone to give me a lift as I'm spending too much on food and when I'm eating fruit and veg I need a lot more than my budget will allow and I always take advantage of the Aldi offers, tis hard not having an income I need to get new runners as well curse you over pronation!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hellosunshine2

Nice tips you have here. Bottom line is that to lose weight or lose body fat, you must use more calories than you eat by controlling your food intake and/or increasing your exercise routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Nice tips you have here. Bottom line is that to lose weight or lose body fat, you must use more calories than you eat by controlling your food intake and/or increasing your exercise routine.
    not quite
    you need to eat less calories than you use each day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    not quite
    you need to eat less calories than you use each day.
    But that's the same thing, just worded slightly different.

I would say intake less energy than you expend -which gets rid of arguments about calorie calculation and the difference between the energy you actually get from different foods.

i.e. 500kcal of alcohol will probably not make you as fat as 500kcal of sugar. Even the same foods can have different values, e.g. humans will get more energy from 500kcal of well cooked rice than 500kcal of raw rice. Just like you will not get the same mileage from 2 cars if you put the same amount of petrol in both, and then a litre of water in 1 of them. You have put the exact same calories in each car, this does not mean their engine uses them the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

On the subject of cooking oils, I've been meaning to switch from olive oil for a while, but laziness prevailed! I use coconut oil on my skin, but haven't yet used it for cooking! What about rapeseed oil, saw a cold pressed rapeseed oil there is tesco, not sure how important cold pressing is when it comes to cooking though.

I always go for butter over other spread, but wonder what's the opinion on salted v. unsalted butter? I don't add salt to anything I eat, but I love salted butter!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

dearg lady wrote: »
    On the subject of cooking oils, I've been meaning to switch from olive oil for a while, but laziness prevailed! I use coconut oil on my skin, but haven't yet used it for cooking! What about rapeseed oil, saw a cold pressed rapeseed oil there is tesco, not sure how important cold pressing is when it comes to cooking though.

I always go for butter over other spread, but wonder what's the opinion on salted v. unsalted butter? I don't add salt to anything I eat, but I love salted butter!

Rapeseed is still too high in delicate oils (~33%) so best not heated.

Salt is fine in the context of an otherwise unprocessed food diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I know canola oil is slated in paleo circles and I just found out it is rapeseed oil!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hellosunshine2

rubadub wrote: »
    But that's the same thing, just worded slightly different.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Weekly interesting link round up:

Article about calories and the differences in absorption (I know rubadub will like this):

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2012/08/27/the-hidden-truths-about-calories/ - Great article just for the fact that Russian people's guts are 5ft longer than Italians, and also nuts have less calories absorbed than written on the packet!

Softer lighting cuts calorie intake by 18%:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120828194942.htm?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Fmost_popular+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Most+Popular+News%29 - Put some candles lit and turn off the lights for dinner!

Yet ANOTHER trial showing reducing FODMAP consumption improves IBS:

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/142/8/1510.abstract

• Registered Users Posts: 11 parismilton

Great source of knowledge, different nutrients and products affect differently person to person according to their metabolic condition. So the amount of fiber and another constituents that are suitable in your differs, you should choose a diet plan according to the metabolic condition of your body.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

What is the healthiest low calorie mixer for vodka? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

NotExactly wrote: »
    What is the healthiest low calorie mixer for vodka? Thanks.
    Soda or diet soft drink will be the lowest calorie mixer.

diet wild cherry soda and cold drink is good low calorie mixer.

Weekly interesting link round up mark duex:

1. Seems that modern paleo eating is not that new. There is a tradition in China, called Bigu:
    In this passage, Maspero (1981:417) recognizes the principal Daoist practices that were current during the Six Dynasties period: "(1) abstention from Cereals, (2) respiratory exercises, and (3) concentration and meditation.

Sounds like a good health plan to me!

2. Do we have free will to prevent obesity? This paper thinks not:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21923977

I think that there's definitely a good point there, sure most of us can lose pounds temporarily, but the stats show the majority of us fail, an argument in favour of more regulation, which I have mixed feelings about.

3. Weak glutes = knee pain

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22945929?dopt=Abstract

I know this is probably well known in the fitness industry but it was new to me this week, I injured my knee doing squats. Nice to know I need to work building up my glutes prior to attempting them again. Anyone know any good exercises for the glutes that don't involve the knees I'd be grateful!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

3. Weak glutes = knee pain

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22945929?dopt=Abstract

I know this is probably well known in the fitness industry but it was new to me this week, I injured my knee doing squats. Nice to know I need to work building up my glutes prior to attempting them again. Anyone know any good exercises for the glutes that don't involve the knees I'd be grateful!

Cook hip lift, there's loads but that's the only one I can remember the name of.

I have this problem and foam rolling my ITbands is also a huge help for me.

Cook hip lift, there's loads but that's the only one I can remember the name of.

I have this problem and foam rolling my ITbands is also a huge help for me.

What does this entail? (what are ITbands and how do you do it?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

What does this entail? (what are ITbands and how do you do it?)

Your Ilitibial band connects the hip and the knee. A tight IT band commonly causes 'runners knee' but Ilitibial Band Syndrome is also associated with doing sqauts. Solution is both cases is to stretch/roll the band and build up the glutes.

I got a grid foam roller, when I first got it I couldn't actually roll with on it when I was doing my ITband, I could barely even lean on it.

Also when you are doing squats be aware of what way your knees are going. Mine always have a habit of going inwards.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭banquet

Pfft, already knew that.

Weekly cool nutrition link update:

1. Cooling hands and feet acts like a steroid. This is awesome research, it's novel and anyone can try it, if anyone feels like experimenting, please let me know how you get on!

2. Chocolate lowers your blood pressure only if your blood pressure is high. Of course they are talking about the dark stuff, like we needed another excuse!

3. Protein helps weight loss, but you don't need that much extra to feel the benefit. Above a decent threshold it's probably pointless (and expensive)

4. Self control not a limited resource after all. It's hard at first but the more you practice it, the better you get at it!

5. Your gut bacteria determine what calories you absorb. This is a really exciting area of research, that will yield huge benefits for humans, forget genetics, it's all about the microbiome right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Finishing up a research paper there - basically it was an online ethnography and content analysis of TOO MANY journals from Marks daily Apple, so glad to be done. Never take on a content analysis approach again thank you very much. Drained but up to Dublin with work next wed-fri so some celebratory drinks in order a few times i reckon!

Finishing up a research paper there - basically it was an online ethnography and cintent analysis of TOO MANY journals from Marks daily Apple, so glad to be done. Never take on a content analysis approach again thank you very much. Drained but up to Dublin with work next wed-fri so some celebratory drinks in order a few times i reckon!

Wow! sounds cool, are you gonna submit it to a journal? You should! What was your conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Wow! sounds cool, are you gonna submit it to a journal? You should! What was your conclusion?

Ask me again in a week and I might be able to coherantly tell you :)
    Looking back at all the pre research, from clinical cardiology to journal of consumer research to modern diet reviews, health science journals, anthropology, sub cultures, journals, experiential consumption, health markers - coding process alone took very long. I will wait for feedback. Who would even accept it at this stage! Its like a smorgasboard of so much. Im just happy its at the end now - very different results than I initally thought, I will report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Looking back at all the pre research, from clinical cardiology to journal of consumer research to modern diet reviews, health science journals, anthropology, sub cultures, journals, experiential consumption, health markers - coding process alone took very long. I will wait for feedback. Who would even accept it at this stage! Its like a smorgasboard of so much. Im just happy its at the end now - very different results than I initally thought, I will report back!

Would love to hear the findings. When you get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Blueskye wrote: »

Would love to hear the findings. When you get a chance.

I'd love to hear them too, even personal views and opinions

I think the book pure white and deadly was mentioned here before. It's back in print I think it has a new forward, it's pretty easy to guess from who

On amazon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

I think the book pure white and deadly was mentioned here before. It's back in print I think it has a new forward, it's pretty easy to guess from who

On amazon

Thanks for that. Been interested in getting my hands on a copy of that for a while.

On a related note, I see Lustig has a book coming out himself in the new year.

Advertisement