Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to get Food Intolerance Test

• 26-07-2014 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Has anyone done a Food Intolerance Test and if so where? Did it help you out? Would you recommend it? Which is the best one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭grattanspuds

Obviously depends where you are in the country. I personally got an intolerance test (along with kinesiology and a number of different things) with a woman in co Monaghan. Would definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ksp

I am in Dubin City Center

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Best test is yourself. Eliminate certain foods for a two week period and journal on how your body reacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

ksp wrote: »
    Has anyone done a Food Intolerance Test and if so where? Did it help you out? Would you recommend it? Which is the best one?

Might be worth a look, http://www.mccabespharmacy.com/content/health-checks/food-intolerance-tests/

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

Before you get one, you might want to read this sciencebasedmedicine(dot)org/igg-food-intolerance-tests-what-does-the-science-say/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭grattanspuds

I can only speak for myself and say that by cutting out the foods I was intolerant of (even healthy foods), I've seen a huge improvement in my gut and stomach health. I've also seen people lose 5 lbs per week and report huge decreases in stomach bloating by cutting out problem foods. So while one study might discount the science behind it, I'm happy to go with it, and would recommend it to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

ksp wrote: »

Boots do them. Did it myself and think it was worth it. Tells you straight out after you get the results what you need to cut from your diet without having to do the complete elimination diet

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yr one

I got the intolerance test done in mc cabes, got my results and I'm shocked, it pretty much has 17 foods I'm to avoid and 15 which I have to limit

My foods that are not allowed are;

milk, beef, chicken, turkey, duck, egg white and yoke, gluten, wheat, carrot, onion, hazelnut, sunflower seed anise seed and maize.. Then Shiraz and Chardonnay in drinks

I went shopping after getting the results and I don't know what to do!?

Milk, eggs and maize are in almost everything!!!!

On my limit list the one confusing me is lettuce?? What's categorised as lettuce?? Surely it cannot be a blanket of every type??

Sorry for hijacking you post also, just I seen the referral to mc cabes

• Registered Users Posts: 49 nearlythereacca

yr one - with an intolerance to that amount of foods I would suspect there is intestinal permeability or 'leaky gut' at play, due to this food molecules are going where they shouldn't go and creating anti bodies to a number of foods.

If you put a gut healing protocol in place and correct this I suspect you may be able to re-introduce some of the foods, you might do better omitting gluten and dairy long term though.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 nearlythereacca

yr one - with an intolerance to that amount of foods I would suspect there is intestinal permeability or 'leaky gut' at play, due to this food molecules are going where they shouldn't go and creating anti bodies to a number of foods.

If you put a gut healing protocol in place and correct this permeability you may be able to re-introduce some of the foods, you might do better omitting gluten and dairy long term though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

i wouldnt trust an intolerance test from a pharmacy at all, its a lot more compliated than that

elimate foods for a month and test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

yr one wrote: »
    I got the intolerance test done in mc cabes, got my results and I'm shocked, it pretty much has 17 foods I'm to avoid and 15 which I have to limit

My foods that are not allowed are;

milk, beef, chicken, turkey, duck, egg white and yoke, gluten, wheat, carrot, onion, hazelnut, sunflower seed anise seed and maize.. Then Shiraz and Chardonnay in drinks

I went shopping after getting the results and I don't know what to do!?
    friend of mine got something like that result,went to GP to be advised on diet and basically was told to try eliminate one or two at time to see if improvement took place, while waiting to get appointment with nutritionist, however if having problems, your not left with much choice but follow result. i have to avoid foods containing bleached flour, cinnamon, bethonates, curries and canned produce and cod fish and a list of Es, also crisps , fizzy drinks, minerals,chocolates,whole list about 2 pages long.never heard of bethanotes before and dont even know what they are

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

uberalex wrote: »
    Before you get one, you might want to read this sciencebasedmedicine(dot)org/igg-food-intolerance-tests-what-does-the-science-say/

And now these charlatans want the public health service to waste millions on these useless tests:

HSE rules out food tests for patients with stomach problems

Thankfully the HSE seems to be talking sense:
    "In recent years, many commercially available food intolerance tests have become available, but the HSE could not fund tests that are not supported by evidence-based medicine."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

I got it done in the Fitzwilliam food clinic. personally I had a huge improvement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I had it done a number of years ago in Slievemore Clinic in Stillorgan. It was a prick test and I had results in 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bgaughan

hey @Pang

I am thinking of going to the Slievemore clinic for an allergy test. can you tell were they good? and were they expensive?

did you get sorted?

thanks

Advertisement