Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei b593s-22

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

Caspero wrote: »
    Has anyone configured port forwarding with this router? (Al I saw you mention opening Xbox ports - have you done it?)

Reason I ask is that I'm trying to configure RDP and in the router Security/Port forwarding page, when I click 'Add item', one of the fields it requests is 'Remote port range'. I'm trying to figure out if this is just the same as the local range - e.g. 3389 for RDP, or something different.

Also, after I open the port, do I also need to create a firewall rule to allow Internet to LAN traffic? Can't find anywhere to do that, I just see the global firewall level settings.
    Port forwarding will only work if you have an external IP, if it's an internal IP then you're stuck behind the CGNAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

WillyFXP wrote: »
    Port forwarding will only work if you have an external IP, if it's an internal IP then you're stuck behind the CGNAT.

CGNAT was new to me - if I understand correctly from a quick read around, it means that my IP is shared among several mobile broadband users, is that correct? If so, I'm guessing something like dyndns wouldn't work either?

The router has a dyndns section but maybe that's for mobile carriers that don't use CGNAT and do assign IPs dynamically? Or am I misunderstanding nad Dyndns would work?

CGNAT was new to me - if I understand correctly from a quick read around, it means that my IP is shared among several mobile broadband users, is that correct? If so, I'm guessing something like dyndns wouldn't work either?

The router has a dyndns section but maybe that's for mobile carriers that don't use CGNAT and do assign IPs dynamically? Or am I misunderstanding nad Dyndns would work?

CGNAT puts you behind the mobile providers firewall, the firewall gives you an internal IP, similar to your routers dynamic ip settings, then the public IP is visible on the other side of the NAT.

As far as I know dyndns wont work, I haven't specifically tried it, but I do use noIP.com, and that wont work unless you can port forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 TommyMacca

To spare you the details I cannot get a landline installed where I live. So instead I tried a Skype number. But as my Huawei E5220 gets from a suicidal 0.10Mbps up to a euphoric 1.50Mbps I couldn’t achieve the call quality.

My NBS contract expires this month. So I upgraded from a Huawei E5220 to a Huawei B593s-22 in the vain hope of catching a 4G signal. The modem arrived this Monday, so I stuck it in the attic and I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw I was getting 22.0Mbps. Hallelujah!!!!! I don’t think I need a Poynting antenna just yet.

Then I noticed the Huawei B593s-22 has 2 telephone ports on the side. This got me thinking… Can I connect my analogue desktop phone to the modem and use it to make VOIP calls?

But when I go into the web management page of my modem there is no VOIP tab. I think Three.ie have changed the firmware to remove the VOIP options. I realise I could “flash” the firmware but I am frightened I might “brick” my modem.

So my questions are:

1.) Would it be easier to send my modem back to Three.ie and get an “unlocked” one from Amazon?
    2.) If I get an unlocked one will I be able to make VOIP calls? What I mean by that is have Three.ie got things “switched on” at their end? No point my configuring everything here if they don’t have it enabled on their servers.
    3.) Do I need to purchase an ATA adapter to allow my analogue phone and the modem to communicate or is this functionality already built into the modem?
    4.) If an analogue phone will not work, would a VOIP phone work?
    5.) Do I need a VOIP account with a vendor or would the Three.ie servers act as gateway to the PSTN? (I don't know how this works)
    6.) If I have an "unlocked" modem can I insert an “all you can eat” SIM into my modem and get unlimited downloads or is this in violation of the T&Cs?

My objective is to use my analogue desktop phone to make/receive calls via my modem and that way I don’t need to leave my PC turned on 24/7.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

TommyMacca wrote: »
    To spare you the details I cannot get a landline installed where I live. So instead I tried a Skype number. But as my Huawei E5220 gets from a suicidal 0.10Mbps up to a euphoric 1.50Mbps I couldn’t achieve the call quality.

My NBS contract expires this month. So I upgraded from a Huawei E5220 to a Huawei B593s-22 in the vain hope of catching a 4G signal. The modem arrived this Monday, so I stuck it in the attic and I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw I was getting 22.0Mbps. Hallelujah!!!!! I don’t think I need a Poynting antenna just yet.

Then I noticed the Huawei B593s-22 has 2 telephone ports on the side. This got me thinking… Can I connect my analogue desktop phone to the modem and use it to make VOIP calls?

But when I go into the web management page of my modem there is no VOIP tab. I think Three.ie have changed the firmware to remove the VOIP options. I realise I could “flash” the firmware but I am frightened I might “brick” my modem.

So my questions are:

1.) Would it be easier to send my modem back to Three.ie and get an “unlocked” one from Amazon?
    2.) If I get an unlocked one will I be able to make VOIP calls? What I mean by that is have Three.ie got things “switched on” at their end? No point my configuring everything here if they don’t have it enabled on their servers.
    3.) Do I need to purchase an ATA adapter to allow my analogue phone and the modem to communicate or is this functionality already built into the modem?
    5.) Do I need a VOIP account with a vendor or would the Three.ie servers act as gateway to the PSTN? (I don't know how this works)
    6.) If I have an "unlocked" modem can I insert an “all you can eat” SIM into my modem and get unlimited downloads or is this in violation of the T&Cs?

My objective is to use my analogue desktop phone to make/receive calls via my modem and that way I don’t need to leave my PC turned on 24/7.

Thanks.

Edit - see WillyFXP's response below

If you are happy with using your Skype number and don't want to leave your computer on, you could get something like a Skype phone that just connects to your router via wifi and uses it's regular internet connection to route your outbound calls (in the same way that your computer does). Alternatively if you have a smartphone, you could download the Skype app and connect your phone to your wifi network and make Skype calls over that. Quality should be similar to what you'd get using your computer for Skype. FYI I use Skype for videoconferencing regularly with my Huawei B593-s22 and am very happy with it. I get about 16mbps up / 10mbps down.

• Advertisement

So my questions are:

Thanks.
    The three branded B593s has had the VOIP tab removed, no idea why, because three dont provide a VOIP service, you would think they would allow you to use the VOIP provider of your choice. The unlocked/generic firmware version has full VOIP functionality, but not natively, you need to have a third party VOIP provider and enter the account details into the router.
    The three branded B593s cannot use a voice sim for calls, but the unlocked/generic version CAN use a voice sim with a standard analogue phone plugged into one of the phone ports. This is limited with a three sim, can only make calls, not receive them, I think this is because of the CGNAT. I haven't tried with any other operator apart from three.

Other things to note about the three branded version vs the generic version. The three branded version with the latest firmware CAN bypass the CGNAT using 3internet APN, allowing full functionality like port forwarding etc because it gives an external IP. This obviously only works with a three sim.

The generic version gives full voip menu etc etc, BUT it cannot use the 3internet APN, only the 3ireland APN. This means it can only ever get an internal IP as the APN is locked to the CGNAT, resulting in port forwarding etc not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭niallb

• The unlocked/generic firmware version has full VOIP functionality...
    • the unlocked/generic version CAN use a voice sim with a standard analogue phone plugged into one of the phone ports.
    Hi.
    Do you have one yourself that performs these functions?
    Can you confirm the firmware version on it for me?
    Would it be close to V200R001B236D30SP00C00 from late 2013?

We've no landline either, and no DSL on the local exchange let alone eFiber!
    I transferred our old number to Blueface, and it worked well for months, but since Three absorbed O2 and started playing with merging the networks two weeks ago, speeds have dropped to a fraction of what they were and another way of calling a house phone would be a bonus.

niallb wrote: »
    Hi.
    Do you have one yourself that performs these functions?
    Can you confirm the firmware version on it for me?
    Would it be close to V200R001B236D30SP00C00 from late 2013?

We've no landline either, and no DSL on the local exchange let alone eFiber!
    I transferred our old number to Blueface, and it worked well for months, but since Three absorbed O2 and started playing with merging the networks two weeks ago, speeds have dropped to a fraction of what they were and another way of calling a house phone would be a bonus.
    I bought a three branded B593s, then unlocked it and debranded it, so yes, I can confirm the functions.
    Firmware version:
    V200R001B236D30SP00C00
    Firmware build time:
    Sep 30 2013 / 10:29:34

Excellent!
    I just found that firmware earlier today!
    Thank you.

Edit - see WillyFXP's response below

If you are happy with using your Skype number and don't want to leave your computer on, you could get something like a Skype phone that just connects to your router via wifi and uses it's regular internet connection to route your outbound calls (in the same way that your computer does). Alternatively if you have a smartphone, you could download the Skype app and connect your phone to your wifi network and make Skype calls over that. Quality should be similar to what you'd get using your computer for Skype. FYI I use Skype for videoconferencing regularly with my Huawei B593-s22 and am very happy with it. I get about 16mbps up / 10mbps down.

@Caspero

Sorry for the slow response, Easter happened :-)

That's two good solutions. I think Skype on my smartphone is step one, so I can see what the call quality is like before purchasing a handset.

It's reassuring to know that someone else with a similar set-up to me has got it to work.

Thanks very much for replying.

• Advertisement

The three branded B593s has had the VOIP tab removed, no idea why, because three dont provide a VOIP service, you would think they would allow you to use the VOIP provider of your choice. The unlocked/generic firmware version has full VOIP functionality, but not natively, you need to have a third party VOIP provider and enter the account details into the router.
    The three branded B593s cannot use a voice sim for calls, but the unlocked/generic version CAN use a voice sim with a standard analogue phone plugged into one of the phone ports. This is limited with a three sim, can only make calls, not receive them, I think this is because of the CGNAT. I haven't tried with any other operator apart from three.

Other things to note about the three branded version vs the generic version. The three branded version with the latest firmware CAN bypass the CGNAT using 3internet APN, allowing full functionality like port forwarding etc because it gives an external IP. This obviously only works with a three sim.

The generic version gives full voip menu etc etc, BUT it cannot use the 3internet APN, only the 3ireland APN. This means it can only ever get an internal IP as the APN is locked to the CGNAT, resulting in port forwarding etc not working.

@WillyFXP

OK so what you are saying is if I buy one of these modems "unlocked" from say Amazon. It will come with the VOIP tab. I will need to configure the modem to point to a 3rd party VOIP supplier as Three.ie don't offer VOIP.

Does that therefore mean my desktop phone would be able to make/receive VOIP calls?
    I assume the VOIP vendor would able to offer me a land-line number?

I just read the wikipedia page on CGNAT and to me it looks like its a way to stretch out the problem of IPv4 addresses running out. But I was unable to understand how this relates to me and my modem. I am a software developer, networks were never my strong point sorry, if you could explain please the implications.

The same with port forwarding. My only understanding of this, is you configure certain ports for certain applications/services e.g. port 80 is HTTP, port 21 is FTP, port 22 is SSH. etc. I believe this speeds up communications. If you could explain please the implications, I feel lost.

My ideal solution would be to connect my analogue desktop phone to my modem and make and receive phone calls as if I had a land-line. Do you think this is somehow achievable using a B593s-22 (locked or unlocked) on the Three.ie network? If its not possible then I will go with @Caspero's solution.

Thanks very much for your help, its greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 U1v3r

Hi,

I just received a B593s-22 I bought at Amazon UK.

At the Amazon page, the item pictures showed "Model: B593s-22 VN2" and I received a version 1 "Model: B593s-22". I contacted Amazon and they told me to return it.

I would like to know if there is any difference between the 2 versions, or is it just the case of a firmware update.

I'm tempted to return it, but I'll be sending it from Portugal and it will take over a week to receive a new one.

Could anyone please tell me what are the differences (if any) between the 2 versions?

U1v3r wrote: »
    Hi,

I just received a B593s-22 I bought at Amazon UK.

At the Amazon page the item pictures showed "Model: B593s-22 VN2" and I received a version 1 "Model: B593s-22". I contacted Amazon and they told me to return it.

I would like to know if there is any difference between the 2 versions or is it just the case of a firmware update.

I'm tempted to return it but I'll be sending it from Portugal and it will take over a week to receive a new one.

Could anyone please tell me what are the differences between the 2 versions?
    The versions are hardware versions, not firmware. I dont know what differences are, but they obviosly changed the hardware for a reason. I'd return it.

The versions are hardware versions, not firmware. I dont know what differences are, but they obviosly changed the hardware for a reason. I'd return it.

Hi WillyFXP. Thank you for your quick answer. I guess I'll return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 iwantbroadband

I've been considering whether to get an generic version, or a three branded one. It's important that I have an external IP address as I've got an IP cam I need to remotely access (via DDNS) and currently can successfully.

I don't quite understand how the generic version can't use the 3internet APN - is there no option to change this in the settings?

I've been considering whether to get an generic version, or a three branded one. It's important that I have an external IP address as I've got an IP cam I need to remotely access (via DDNS) and currently can successfully.

I don't quite understand how the generic version can't use the 3internet APN - is there no option to change this in the settings?

Cant be done, it's written into the three branded firmware

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Someone here unlocked a 3 one and used the generic firmware, but I have absolutely no idea how or what was used.

The s-22 model is the best one, I think there's a few B593 models but the s-22 is the man to have.

I'd try and avoid the 3 branded one and just go for it unlocked from the box... just seems easier. It is a bit expensive but it seems like a future-ish proofed router and should last a while.

It's helped a lot of folks out on here with getting a half decent connection without a fixed bb service

@WillyFXP

OK so what you are saying is if I buy one of these modems "unlocked" from say Amazon. It will come with the VOIP tab. I will need to configure the modem to point to a 3rd party VOIP supplier as Three.ie don't offer VOIP.

Does that therefore mean my desktop phone would be able to make/receive VOIP calls?
    I assume the VOIP vendor would able to offer me a land-line number?

I just read the wikipedia page on CGNAT and to me it looks like its a way to stretch out the problem of IPv4 addresses running out. But I was unable to understand how this relates to me and my modem. I am a software developer, networks were never my strong point sorry, if you could explain please the implications.

The same with port forwarding. My only understanding of this, is you configure certain ports for certain applications/services e.g. port 80 is HTTP, port 21 is FTP, port 22 is SSH. etc. I believe this speeds up communications. If you could explain please the implications, I feel lost.

My ideal solution would be to connect my analogue desktop phone to my modem and make and receive phone calls as if I had a land-line. Do you think this is somehow achievable using a B593s-22 (locked or unlocked) on the Three.ie network? If its not possible then I will go with @Caspero's solution.

Thanks very much for your help, its greatly appreciated.

No idea if a VOIP or SKYPE handset will work if plugged into the USB port. An analogue phone will only work with a seperate VOIP account, but only on a generic firmware as three have removed the VOIP settings completely.

CGNAT is basically a very strong firewall which assigns an internal IP on the user side and an external IP visible to all clients, this is why port forwarding will not work through the CGNAT, user and clients see different IPs.

I was unable to understand how this relates to me and my modem. I am a software developer, networks were never my strong point sorry, if you could explain please the implications.

Port forwarding doesn't speed up communications. It facilitates them. A typical use case might be where a broadband user gets a fixed ip from say eircom. Now his router always has that ip. He wants to remote desktop in to one of his machines behind that router from somewhere else (like his office). How does router know which computer to forward the incoming remote desktop connection to? Using port forwarding. Remote desktop communicates say using port 5900. In advance, the user configures the router to forward port 5900 to the computer he wants to connect to using a port forwarding rule on the router.

Usually that works fine because the user has an Internet facing ip. However with cgnat, that isn't the case. Rather, it's kind of like multiple users are behind the broadband provider's 'router'. For remote desktop to work, the broadband provider would have to forward the port to the user's router, which they probably won't do.

Willyfxp understands this stuff better than me so if I'm wrong on any of the key points I apologise and he would be the man to correct what I've said.

-=al=- wrote: »
    (...)

The s-22 model is the best one, I think there's a few B593 models but the s-22 is the man to have.

(...)

After my mishap with Amazon I searched a bit more and found that there are a lot of versions with a lot of differences. Some noticeable (the "u" is blue in the middle, the "s" is grey; some have 2 USB ports, one on the back and one under the power button; the "s" only has one USB port on the back); others not so noticeable, like the 4G frequencies each one supports and the maximum download speed (some can achieve 150 Mb, others "just" 100Mb).

Here is an interesting link (I can't post links, so add http://) blog.hqcodeshop.fi/serendipity/index.php?REMOTE_ADDR=193.126.183.138&url=archives/127-Huawei-B593-different-models.html&serendipity%5bcsuccess%5d=moderate#feedback

The Huawei site doesn't have any usable info about the B593's versions or compatibilities.

And about the B593s-22 there is at least a "VN2". I don't know if there is a newer one. (what I know is that lots of sellers, on Amazon and eBay, are selling the older version).

• Advertisement

Anyone switching over to CGNAT at this stage is just messing around.
    How hard would it have been to switch to IPV6 instead?
    /Frazzled

/Frazzled

Everyone has been aware that the IPv4 IP pool is reaching it's limit for years, it's only recently that ISP's and mobile providers have started to implement it, unfortunately some a lot slower than others. I'm not aware of any mobile provider in Ireland currently implementing IPv6.

This would be a brilliant thing to legislate for!
    Ireland adopts IPv6 as part of our NBS phase 2.

I'm just saying it would be better to just have an IPv4 to IPv6 gateway and handout IPv6 addresses to the individual clients. That way people would be in a position to do end to end routing if they wanted to go to the trouble.

There is at least one small wireless provider who offers IPv6 routing on request
    and don't make a big deal out of it.

I've just discovered that one of the remote desktop applications I need to use occasionally doesn't work any more either, as well as the ancient VPN tunnel that had me frazzled last night. It worked fine with a Tesco SIM until the merger.

OK Thanks Guys I appreciate your help.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

/Frazzled

CGNAT is an IPv6 dodge but from the telco point of view it also has the handy advantage of keeping consumers in the dark while proxying all traffic across their networks. Your average Joe/Josephine will be none the wiser and consumer ignorance is bliss where telcos are concerned.

FWIW I've tested tunneled IPv6 over Meteor 3G from behind a CGNAT connection and I can see it from the real world Internet so there's always a way :)

EDIT: Anyone looking to access internal resources on CGNATed connections without going IPv6 might find Hamachi or Pertino worth a look.

carsQhere wrote: »
    FWIW I've tested tunneled IPv6 over Meteor 3G from behind a CGNAT connection and I can see it from the real world Internet so there's always a way :)
    Hah, a project!
    Did you use a broker, or were you able to ask Meteor for an allocation?
    They peer with Eircom, so it should be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

I used SixXS for tunnel brokerage. Meteor wouldn't allocate a v6 to a consumer according to their agent although CGNAT is apparently dual stack v4/v6 at the ISP level so make of that one what you will. AFAIK none of the mobile telcos do IPv6 allocation to subscribers but if anyone knows different I'm all ears :)

That looks good. I'll give it a go.
    I've solved the issue for a satellite link by installing openwrt on the router and making an openvpn tunnel to a minimal vps.
    Portforwarding from that back through the tunnel gets me in to some cameras, though obviously it's slow to connect with the satellite latency.
    Stream delivers well once it has connected though.
    Unfortunately, that particular site has no mobile coverage at all, so I'll be checking the ipv6 tunnel out at home.
    Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Cerco

Anybody recommend any iPhone apps supporting the B593-s22 ?

• Advertisement

Cerco wrote: »
    Anybody recommend any iPhone apps supporting the B593-s22 ?

Don't really understand what you're asking. It's a router, there are no apps for it.

Advertisement