Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A Quote a Day........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭donegal_man

“The ship of state is the only known vessel that leaks from the top.”

James Reston (NY Times)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

“None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

We may see the small value God has for riches, by the people he gives them to.

Alexander Pope

"Hey everybody, let's have some fun
    You only live but once, and when you're dead you're done
    So let the good times roll, let the good times roll
    Don't care if you're young or old, get together let the good times roll"

Sam Theard

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I really like this one.

'A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.'

- William Shedd

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

'smooth seas don't good sailors make'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

When you know that men can be trained like dogs to believe and do anything - anything at all - it makes you value your own council and be suspect of every other."

Another from one of my favourite Authors Tim Willocks.
    IMO a lot to think about in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 speakelton

"Its not that Fairytales are true, they are more than true. And they are not true because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten."

Neil Gaiman, quoting GK Chesterton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭cadesin

"Sometimes your only available transportation is a leap of faith."
    --Margaret Shepard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man ; true nobility lies in being superior to your former self."

Ernest Hemingway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

“Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.”
    - Keith Caserta

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Asarlai

'It's not the arse of the goat that gives you milk, no matter how often you go to confession.'

"The cost of war is constantly spread before me written neatly in many ledgers, whose columns are gravestones."
    General George Marshall

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway

"There is never any ending to Paris...We have always returned to it no matter who we were or how it was changed or within what difficulties, or ease, it could be reached. Paris was always worth it and you received return for whatever you brought to it..."

A brief poignant extract,
    kerry4sam

One for the day that's in it

''Politics, noun. A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.'

Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

"I feel we are all islands - in a common sea."

Anne Morrow Lindbergh

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

“The quiet sense of something lost”
    ― Alfred Lord Tennyson

“Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.”
    ― Kahlil Gibran

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

"God forbid that Truth should be confined to mathematical demonstration!”

– William Blake

• Advertisement

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says "I'm possible!" - Audrey Hepburn

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

'If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it - then I can achieve it.'

- Muhammad Ali

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car. -Bob Monkhouse

The future will soon be a thing of the past. - George Carlin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

'If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it - then I can achieve it.'

- Muhammad Ali

No vietcong called me n****r

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭strawdog

The gods had condemned Sisyphus to ceaselessly rolling a rock to the top of a mountain, whence the stone would fall back of its own weight. They had thought with some reason that there is no more dreadful punishment than futile and hopeless labor." -Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus, an existentialist short essay

The best portion of a good man's life: his little, nameless unremembered acts of kindness and love. - William Wordsworth, Tintern Abbey

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭iniall

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it."
    - Mark Twain

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms.”

Henry David Thoreau; Walden: Or, Life in the Woods

Advertisement