Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardaí on Segways.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Paul Blart - Mall Cop, that is all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Whatways? Give us back the good aul days of gards arriving en masse in transit vans and beating the sch1te out of scumbags.

Segway is gheyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why are they wearing helmets? I thought they were designed so you don't fall off them?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Paul Blart - Mall Cop, that is all!

Ah here- dont give them *that* much credit ffs!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

The guy who owned the Segway company died on one - not the greatest of PR moves.

• Advertisement

Why are they wearing helmets? I thought they were designed so you don't fall off them?
    They are. But people will always fall off things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Lazy Sh*ts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

They were donated to AGS by the Dublin business association so cost the state nothing and they have proven effective in some 300 other cities around the world. What's the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Whats wrong with bikes or simply walking?

That would bring down a severe case of blue flu, think of all the bellies and giant arses that would be lost through exercise :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

What they really need is lasers.

Pew Pew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Dublin Airport Police have has these gizmos for years btw

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The guy who owned the Segway company died on one - not the greatest of PR moves.

1) He bought out the company that did.
    2) He went over a cliff on it. I'm sure the results would be the same if he walked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

2 Segways.. surely this heralds the end of crime in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

They'll make good door stops back at the station.

After the "grand unveiling" I'd be surprised to see any on the streets - a bit like the Gardai in general.

If they are chasing somebody who runs up/down stairs, what do they do then? Bit of an old Dalek problem really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Quite possibly the most ridiculous form of wheeled transport since the Reliant Robin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

grafton street is too crowded to use them their methinks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Quite possibly the most ridiculous form of wheeled transport since the Reliant Robin.

That.
    As personal means of transport, they may make sense to individuals. But for supposed figures of authority, I've got my doubts.
    Maybe the hope is the criminals will laugh so hard they won't be able to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

I would have thought a bike would be more effective. The cops involved would get much needed exercise as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Where do Segways fit into the rules of the road? Are they powered bicycles? Can they use the pavement? If they are on the road should they not have indicators, mirrors, tax and insurance? Can they be fitted with umberellas when it rains? Decerning minds need to know this stuff.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

OldGoat wrote: »
    Where do Segways fit into the rules of the road? Are they powered bicycles? Can they use the pavement? If they are on the road should they not have indicators, mirrors, tax and insurance? Can they be fitted with umberellas when it rains? Decerning minds need to know this stuff.

I believe they are not categorised in the rules of the road.

They are not technically legal on the footpath or public roads and can only be used on private property.

I would classify them somewhere between an electric scooter and pensioners mobility vehicle. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

RainMaker wrote: »
    They'll make good door stops back at the station.

After the "grand unveiling" I'd be surprised to see any on the streets - a bit like the Gardai in general.

If they are chasing somebody who runs up/down stairs, what do they do then? Bit of an old Dalek problem really!

They get off them obviously. Hardly rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

Haha, designed for the lazy person.. What happens when the cop has to get off and run after someone.... will he be too fat to run from using a segway for so long! or it that the reason USA cops use them in the first place...

At least we know where all our tax money is being spent now.. helping cops become more lazy. Waste of money, next they will be using them on the jogging machines in the gym cause who needs to run when you got a segway!.. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What exactly are the benefits of these as opposed to bicycles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Shenshen wrote: »
    That.
    As personal means of transport, they may make sense to individuals. But for supposed figures of authority, I've got my doubts.
    Maybe the hope is the criminals will laugh so hard they won't be able to run?

Grhhhh After hours doesn;t allow pictures

http://www.odditycentral.com/funny/segway-special-forces.html

You can run over the criminals foot to stop them.

Actually, how many feet do you think would get squashed if there was a chase down grafton or henry street

You can run over the criminals foot to stop them.

Actually, how many feet do you think would get squashed if there was a chase down grafton or henry street

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

OldGoat wrote: »
    With mobility scooters I think as long as they can't go over 15mph they're not classed as a vehicle. Although all those scooters seems to have all the necessary lights but I think that's the competition in the industry that makes all manufacturers fit the lights.
    They get off them obviously. Hardly rocket science.
    No, they ramp of the steps in slow motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

Theres no legislation that allows segways currently, private use only in Ireland. I know because I was looking into it recently. So either they won't be used, will only be used in private areas, or they will be illegally used, interesting. http://www.segway.ie/?id=46

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The next phase. :)

[YOUTUB.E]Project Puma[/YOUTUBE]

If I wanted to drive a wheelie bin I'd have done it by now!

I'd love to see Special Branch on Segways. They'd be so intimidating.

Advertisement