Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A good book for a mother,

• 18-12-2014 11:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, hoping someone could recommend a good book for my mum for Christmas ? She's late 50's, likes a good story, nothing too heavy. Maybe something similar to Maeve Binchy, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I'd recommend Colm O Regan's , Isn't it well for ye?The book of Irish Mammies.
    Also, That's more of it now:The second book of Irish Mammies.

Both are light hearted reads, perfect for this time of year!
    Also, either can be dipped into again and again, which is better than trying to find the time to finish a book when you're busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭TommieBoy

:)Anything of Sophie Kinsella's is a lighthearted joy to read...
    One of my faves is Twenties Gal
    Sophie-Kinsella-Twenties-Girl_Image._SX320_SY240_CR0,0,0,0_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

You probably have it sorted now but for the record my mother was once heard declaring that if no murder takes place in the first chapter then a book is not worth reading! Crime fiction in the form of old school murder mysteries is what's appreciated - gruesome yes please but not too racy thanks! Any Ruth Rendell/PD James/Wilkie Collins/Agatha Christie type volume usually ticks the boxes.

Advertisement